Joy Division. 2015 RHINO Anniversary vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

There's no indication anywhere on the new reissues that says where these might have been pressed. I've contacted Rhino but who knows if they'll answer.

I will say, however, that these new versions sound WONDERFUL. All the records are perfectly clean, flat, and quiet. I cannot compare any of these to the 2007 reissues since I do not own those, but I couldn't tell much of a difference between the 2015 reissue of Unknown Pleasures and the 2nd Town House UK pressing of it. In fact, I enjoy the new reissue more because my original pressing is pretty beat up. :p

patient_ot likes this.
  2. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned several times that these new reissues have been pressed by Optimal Media in Germany. Aside from the matrix in the dead wax, the printed inner for Closer proves that, too. See my picture below.

I bought all 4 reissues (UP, Closer, Substance, Still) and I am happy with 3 of them. Unfortunately I have to claim about Closer though. I got a copy with a mispressed label and the Vinyl is warped too. See that other picture. I will send it back to get a replacement.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Technocentral likes this.
  3. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

The insert on my copy says "PRINTED BY SOMETHING ELSE".

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

My 2007 US Rhino states the same

5. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

True, it's just the credit for the Printing company as part of the artwork. There are also versions with CLIFFORD PRESS and many others from the early days. Depending on where it was printed.

In case of the 2015 reissues those were printed by Optimal. I'd assume Warner Music booked the common package including pressing the records and printing the jackets there, too.

c-eling likes this.
  6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Has anyone bought the new cd version? I'm asking here because I hate to start a new thread for it, but maybe I'll have to.

I don't do vinyl. I have the 1st japan press cd and the US cd versions, I'm wondering if I should upgrade?

7. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Judas!

8. c-eling

Nothing wrong with the US Qwest cd's, lots of great info on the Joy Division on CD thread
    Very rarely in my opinion do I hear an 'Upgrade' in standard remasters, just different, no worse, no better

mooseman likes this.
  9. jsayers

I thought the new cd, like the new vinyl, was based on the recent " + - Singles 1978-80 cd singles and 7" single boxed set and the I-tunes download, which were supposed to be very good. That's not to say the cd mastering could be brickwalled and ruin any improvements on them, though.
    The cd singles were supposed to be fantastic and maybe they compiled these same masterings onto the Substance cd, which is what I'm hoping.

c-eling likes this.
  10. jsayers

11. c-eling

I thought I read someone who purchased the Hi-Rez gave it a thumbs up, it uses the same plus-minus remaster, looks like it may be just slightly compressed, nothing major though, you should be fine :cheers:

12. jsayers

Well, I'm not convinced the standard cd will use the same mastering as the Hi-Rez download. Does that EVER happen? :laugh:

c-eling likes this.
  13. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Average on the vinyl. A tad compressed for my liking (comparing it to my original 12"s (Transmission and Love will…) and albums (Closer first pressing).

c-eling likes this.
  14. c-eling

Ugh, I give up John, just buy the damn thing and you tell us how it sounds :D
    I'm happy with my old Qwest cd, if your not, buy the new one

Aaron76 and mooseman like this.
  15. Aaron76

Aaron76 Forum Resident

I have the 2007 Rhino U.P. and Closer. Not off-centre and they sound good to me. I have just ordered Still and Substance. More excited about the latter, but I felt the urge to complete my (album) collection.

c-eling likes this.
  16. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Just got vinyl Substance in from Amazon.uk. Has the printed inner sleeves. I also have the original US single lp pressing and the repress is much nicer all around. Even he outer sleeve is more textured and thicker than the original pressing.

My only gripe is the track sequencing. I grew up with the cassette that grouped things chronologically I seem to recall. I would much rather their punkier songs grouped together at the start but disk one is a straight up repress of the original single disk version.

17. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

yeah, you get in the zone of the classic Joy Division sound, that you don't want to go back when you go to disc 2. But it does make sense in terms of the original release.

wouldn't have minded some liner notes, either, to match up the songs from related releases. But that did get me googling and learning more about the band in the process.

18. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Bought the import (i.e. EU) Substance and through side 2 so far so good. Two ticks at the beginning of Transmission and that's it for noise so far. Sound is certainly good. Haven't compared to my Qwest LP (my only other copy). It's bright with my Lyra, but so is the original from memory, but I'll happily play this again.

If I'd known the US edition was pressed at Optimal I'd have gotten that though it sounds like they don't have the picture inners? Sounds like all these were done at Optimal. I got nice pressings of the 2007, which I bought on release--I think those were mastered from John Davis.

19. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

I bought my Substance in the USA and it had the printed inner sleeves and the poly-lined sleeves.

20. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Same here.

21. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Must have misread. I finished listening and aside from two tics the LPs were clean.

I guess the outstanding question is how these compare to the 2007, which are supposedly from analog, and to the HDTracks, which must be the source here.

22. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

So, a question for anyone who has bought the new Substance LP or the 2015 represses of UP and Closer: are the pressings off center?

I had problems with off-center copies of the 2007 pressings, which was very annoying, because they sounded pretty good otherwise. If these 2015 represses are dead center, I might be interested.

23. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

My UK substance is perfectly pressed.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  24. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

These aren't represses. They are reissues, remastered from digital at Abbey Road, with new catalog numbers, and pressed at Optimal instead of Rainbo. No reason to connect them to the 2007 LPs at all.

25. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Well, according to Rhino's website they used the 2007 remasters for UP and Closer. So, they have that in common with the 2007 LPs, at least.

Saying they're pressed at Optimal instead of Rainbo means nothing to me. Is Optimal thought to be better than Rainbo?

I thought the 2007s sounded good, and I'm mainly concerned about whether the vinyl is off-center, given that nearly everything I've bought by Rhino over the past 10 years has been off center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.