Elvis Presley: The Album Collection - 60th anniversary of Elvis' RCA contract (18th March 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Aug 14, 2015.

1. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sony are working on a project to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Elvis' RCA contract. The set will include replicas of every album released in Elvis' lifetime and a 300 page book.

Would like this to be like the CASH set that Sony put out with the same price,but not so sure about that.

Source.Roger Semon, on Elvis Radio. http://www.siriusxm.com/elvisradio

Emails/EP forums.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The concern is the 300 page book; can't imagine the price will mirror the Cash set.

John Grimes likes this.
  3. MEMPHISSUN

That is it,yet the book in the cash set was just under the 300 pages.

Why Presley is getting the high prices when Dylan and Cash for example,are getting great sets at the right price is strange to say the least.

CrazyCatz and melstapler like this.
  4. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

What's the reasoning? We just had the 30 CD set/book "The Complete Elvis Presley Masters". That pretty
    well covered it, didn't it?

5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Not to hijack this thread, because I am interested in the Elvis CD box, but this is the kind of product that Frank Sinatra fans were hoping we'd get this year for his 100th birthday. Doesn't seem likely, though... :sigh:

Dave112, JonnyKidd, nick25 and 6 others like this.
  6. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Maybe they want to make it a more mainstream release this time?

S. P. Honeybunch, bferr1 and MRamble like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

True. I think it will come down to the dimensions of the book. If it is a standard size like the Dylan and Cash sets, that is one thing. If it is the size of FTD books, or the size of booklets that came with the Big Beat and TTWII box sets with a hardback cover, then the price point will be significantly different for the Presley set.

8. MEMPHISSUN

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This seems like a worthwhile concept, but for my tastes, I much prefer the chronological session-by-session approach of the Complete Masters set.

10. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Money.

11. MEMPHISSUN

12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I was just thinking about the Complete Box. My dad has one, I was wondering how often he reaches for it (and if there was a way that I could lift it from him without him noticing). But this set might be a good alternative for me. Although, I have 90's cd's, current reissues, Legacy releases and FTD cd's. I probably have 3 or 4 versions of some of these records. Why am I even rationalizing a purchase of this set?
    I'm eager to see a price and get more info. Very interesting...

DmitriKaramazov and JonnyKidd like this.
  13. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Regarding Elvis, I also do prefer the session by session approach. Beside a group of great albums (Elvis' Golden Records, King Creole, Elvis is Back!, Elvis, From Elvis in Memphis, From Memphis to Vegas / From Vegas to Memphis, On Stage, The Way It Is and Elvis Country), the rest is pretty dull. Lots of goodies but a lot of crap too and no coherence at all in those projects. I think that the best way to discover Presley's magic remains those 3 decade box sets released back in the 90's + the dvd of the 1968 comeback special. Which is a lot of good music!!

alexpop, melstapler and Grand_Ennui like this.
  14. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

I prefer the records. 10-12 songs, a nice package. Something you like to put on and listen to, and be finished.
    The big boxes are just too much... IMO.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This release is like something Col. Parker would have loved.

16. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Since this set is every album released in his lifetime, does that mean that the studio version of "Suspicious Minds" will not be included?

PepiJean likes this.
  17. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I guess they'll throw in a singles collection to wrap the set up nicely.

18. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For historical comparison, they did "The Original Elvis Presley Collection" in UK, in 1996, with all original albums through Moody Blue plus non-album EPs on 50CDs - using the "Double Features" CD versions of the original non-album EPs, and a pamphlet. It did not have the studio "Suspicious Minds" and "Kentucky Rain" and a few others. The individual CD covers were the regular (UK) covers a bit smaller and framed by a "The Original Elvis Presley Collection" banner.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=355189

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

"Don't Cry Daddy", "I'm Leavin'", "It's Only Love", "Always On My Mind", "Separate Ways", "Burning Love" and more would be omitted unless they include the Camden/Pickwick releases or a singles disc.

nick25, bluemooze and melstapler like this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'm late to the party on this one... When was this "Complete Elvis Presley Masters" set released? That definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in...

21. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Here's the thing:
    The "Complete Elvis Presley Masters" follows the chronological approach; this set mimics the 1996 EU release with an album by album representation.

22. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

First released October 2010 in a limited numbered 1,000 (I think) copies edition. It sold out in less than a month, I believe.
    Then 30-50 unnumbered copies showed up, called "extra review copies" or something.
    Then a "Second Edition", unnumbered, mintage unknown but probably 1,000 too.
    There's also an unnumbered "review" edition of the CDs in a small box and no book. These show up on ebay and I bet most of them are counterfeits, but this did exist, maybe assembled from legitimate extra overrun CDs, 30-50 sets, maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Elvis_Presley_Masters

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

@JohnO,

Thanks for the info...

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Any interest I had in owning a reasonably priced complete Elvis box died the minute I went down the FTD route, if this had been done a few years ago along the lines of the Cash & Dylan boxes then I'd have snapped it up, however now that I own all the classic album FTD's complete with excellent outtakes there's simply no point to me at this point in time.

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I'm going to pass on this and hold out for the 60th Anniversary of Buying Graceland box set. Tracklisting will be 3 hours of Elvis and The Guys sitting around the house watching TV and telling jokes. Those who pre-order will receive a bonus disc of the long-rumored (but never circulated) Jungle Room tape of Elvis and band rehearsing "Little Darlin' "

goodiesguy, Oggy, Gazza63 and 2 others like this.