Shades Of Deep Purple – Some theories about the mastertape and my conclusion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sathvyre, Aug 9, 2015.

1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

Is the Creative Sounds CD a needledrop or from a tape source ? Does it include the steps and door at the end ?

2. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Thanks for the impressive intro post Sathvyre! Makes a lot of sense. Never been an expert on this myself but I do own a UK mono (XEX-1). Heard from one source it was a separate mix, from another single cuts were mono the rest folds, and from a third it's all a fold. Sounds true mono to me - big strong with perfect balance and much bass, but I can't be 100%. Do you happen to know any certain way to differ a fold from a separate mix in this case - please tell! And if there's anything You wanna know about the mono to help the thread subject along - just ask!

Kindly/Erik

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  3. sathvyre

Thank you for your post.
    The only mono version I heard was the RSD LP, released in 2014 I think. To me it sounds like a 100% fold-down. It has many phasing issues and stuff going on. I never heard an original mono pressing, but another user told me that the sound of the RSD LP should be very similar to the original LP. I also heard the "Hard Road" box set and again, to me it sounds like a fold-down.
    A simple way to check if it is a real mix or a fold would be to digitize your mono LP, a 1st pressing of the stereo album (to convert it to mono) and compare piece by piece. I think, "Shades Of Deep Purple" is not a dedicated mono mix.

4. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Had this mono forever but sadly never found a UK YEX-1 stereo. I'm getting curious here. Can't hear any disturbing phasing on this, sounds good with stern bass and right balance. It is quite enjoyable listening all through. And what do you mean by "stuff going on"? If you describe the "stuff" and I'll compare with my copy maybe we'll get a definitive answer :)

5. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Regardless of steps/door appearing or not, what's your view on the EMI Centenary edition from around 1997? Regarding overall sound quality and pressing? Thanks.

6. sathvyre

The sound quality of the EMI 100 Centenary LP is better than the YEX...-2 pressing (Harvest Heritage), but if you read my initial post, I told that the EMI 100 LP was sourced from the 2nd UK mastertape with a vinyl dub for the very last minute.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  7. sathvyre

The phasing is very audible and really annoying on the first two songs. There are more issues like that on the entire record. Sometimes it sounds like under water...

8. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Don't recognize that at all "And The Address" is towards treble and very clear with lots of reverb, but no phasing I can hear. "Hush" on the darker side but also very clear. Where would the "underwater sound" be? Can't hear it. Maybe the CD:s had bad transmission and it works better on vinyl.

9. sathvyre

Very interesting. Maybe you could upload some excerpt for us all ??? The phasing issues are very audible when the hihat plays, like a misaligned tape head.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Sorry dont have equipment for upload. My entire computor park consists of 10 y.o. slow machine and a bad scanner :)

The hihat (or cymbals?) on "And The Address" are very clear here, but still sounding natural and on "Hush" so deep down in the mix they're hardly audible. I can hear a lot going towards treble on the album, like the "I'm So Glad" solo, but it never tips over to phasing.

Just for fun. On the YEX-1 stereo - what do they say at the end of the last track, before the footsteps? It's rather unclear on the mono, but I think I hear - "That's all right...right...huh".

11. sathvyre

Well, it is always very hard to make a decision about phasing issues or similar stuff when we don't have any chance to listen to the original versions. One doesn't hear it, the other listener find it annoying and so on...there is no way to continue with that discussion without hearing what happens on the original mono LP. Does it sound similar, compared to the 2014 CD version or the RSD mono LP ? That would help.

12. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

I agree, but You must also know I have very sensitive ears and if it'd been disturbing or unnatural in any way I would know. Maybe it has to do with I use a round stylus when listening to mono as I find it gives a warmer, deeper sound.

I usually never check for used CD:s, but will try to find some corresponding for this.

I hereby repeat the question from last post, wanna be 100% sure...

Just for fun. On the YEX-1 stereo - what do they say at the end of the last track, before the footsteps? It's rather unclear on the mono, but I think I hear - "That's all right...right...huh".

Nice talking to You

Erik

13. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I owned a mono copy years ago. It sure sounded like a fold-down mix to me

Man at C&A and sathvyre like this.
  14. sathvyre

Maybe you have sensitive ears, but as I told you, every listener makes his own decisions, so it makes no sense if you don't have any possibility to either compare with the 2014 CD or upload some excerpts - but thank you for listening for us ;)
    Not sure what they are talking at the end, maybe a native speaker could shed some light on ???

MONOLOVER likes this.
  15. sathvyre

16. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I do not know whether the source was tape or needle, but no, no footsteps at the end.

17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I had those horrific Creative Sounds CD's and they sounded like needle drops to me. Maybe even needle drops, to tape, to CD!? I obtained the Canadian Passport Book of Talisyn and it sounded a tiny bit better.

18. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

I found a "Shades of ..." from Japan 1973 and I have to agree with sathvyre. It is bit bright and the editing of the endings of the songs is a bit sloppy but overall the sound is less muddy and the soundstage is a lot better than any other vinyl I have heard. Even if the footsteps are missing it was a very nice discovery.

About the phasing of the cymbals, I cannot say I really enjoy any of the cymbals anywhere on any release of this album. Where on this album can I find any clean cymbals?

LitHum05 likes this.
  19. sathvyre

Today I ordered a canadian Warner bros. LP...can't wait to listen to that record / version !!!

20. cjay

cjay Forum Resident

Please write your results when you receive the LP. I've owned the Tetra stereo LP since its first week of release. One of my favorites of the era. Played it to death. Also owned the Creative CD (worthless garbage) and have a 2nd copy of the Tetra LP, bought in the 90's at the monthly Pasadena College record meet, in VG+ condition. Don't have it to check pressing numbers but it sounds identical to my original pressing, including the ending minute.
    I guess I'll check back in several weeks.
    I like how these threads can go on for years without a problem!

21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

...maybe this is SH's forthcoming
    'mystery' project...(?)
    :shh:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  22. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

My understanding is that all the original pressings have the door slam and foot steps and that pressings that don't have it are all bootlegs. Also heard that this was one of the most bootlegged albums ever since Hush was so popular and since Tetragrammaton went bankrupt early on.

kelhard, Folknik and McLover like this.
  23. cjay

cjay Forum Resident

Now THAT would be a welcome addition to the world - a proper restoration from the original master tapes, WITHOUT brick-walling, of their first two LPs would be awesome.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, the Tetragrammaton Deep Purple LP catalog was one of the most counterfeited/booted LP discs ever. When the legitimate pressings dried up, counterfeits began showing up everywhere in cutout bins/bargain bins in the USA.

kelhard likes this.
  25. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

That is what I heard. I have a counterfeit. Picked it up in a used bin for $5. The label looks exactly like the Tetragrammaton but the record is pressed on recycled vinyl, extremely noisy, especially between the tracks and of course no footsteps/door slam.