BOB DYLAN: Outtakes, Alternates & Live Recordings, 1965-1966

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Probably a soundtrack for season 2, as HBO has made a fairly big deal about the fact that Lera Lynn wrote a bunch of original songs for it.

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That was my initial thought too, but the Amazon description says this:

"Electromagnetic Recordings/Harvest Records in partnership with HBO will release TRUE DETECTIVE MUSIC FROM THE HBO SERIES on August 14. The album, produced by T-Bone Burnett, encompasses 14 tracks from Season 1 and Season 2 of the critically acclaimed series."

Obviously, new material may get precedence, but this description certainly has room for "Rocks and Gravel" (though it wouldn't be accurate in that instance to call it "produced by T-Bone Burnett" so much as "selected by").

3. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

From Bob Stacy on F/B:

"BEWARE: I’ve already found two Internet links claiming to be the “True Detective” Rocks and Gravel – but – both are incorrect. One on YouTube was the Gaslight II live version (that's the link which Hollow Horn has also found). The other was an mp3 download of the “original” FW promo version. Neither of those are the same as what’s heard on the “True Detective” episode 1 soundtrack.

The "True Detective" version does have Bob's vocal from the FW promo take but with some or all different instrumental backing. That particular take (CO 76986-1) is also rather unique in that he sings the “clouds look lonesome” verse *before* singing the “Mobile and KC line” verse. Dylan also sings the phrase: “Don’t my gal look fine” whereas in the alternate studio take w/backing from that same session, he reversed the verse order, and he used the words: “Don’t my gal look good”."

subtr, HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. Mr. Tambourine Man

Mr. Tambourine Man Forum Resident

zobalob likes this.
  5. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

That whole '65 Free Trade Hall show is something special. :agree:

6. QUOTE="RayS, post: 12485596, member: 38669"]I've hypothesized that "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" was inspired in part by the portion of "On the Road" where Sal and Dean visit Mexico. After much debauchery (burgundy, and the harder stuff), Sal gets sick. Rather than standing behind him, his friend Dean leaves, returning to the States. After recovering, Sal goes back to New York City, having had enough.

or not[/QUOTE]

That's a good theory.

I was listening to 'Highway 61 Revisited' the other night and noted that many of the characters in the songs are in denial or denied something in one way or the other.

I wish I could give Brother Bill his great thrill/I would set him in chains at the top of the hill.....

There is an undercurrent of control, denial, domination and submission lurking beneath the surface of the lyrics to this record. I think Bob may have read 'Naked Lunch' as well as 'On The Road' by this point, as well as frequenting a few weird bars in New York City.

RayS and cc-- like this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It seems a soundtrack is coming out for True Detective, seasons 1 and 2. Full tracklisting not yet announced. Perhaps this Rocks And Gravel shall appear there

hollowhorn likes this.
  8. revolution_vanderbilt

9. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

It certainly is! My favorite live era of Dylan. I'd been wanting a soundboard recording of that tour for years, and I was so stoked when I finally got my hands on that thing.... Good enough to be officially released.. I'd buy it - an addition to the "Bootleg Series" with a nice beefy booklet and the works... I cherish this recording!

10. Slubberdegullion

Slubberdegullion Forum Resident

These one minute snippets at Oxtango sure look interesting. What do I have to do to get the complete tracks? If I say the word "swordfish," will a DL link magically appear in my PM box?

11. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You don't even have to SAY it.

[​IMG]

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  13. revolution_vanderbilt

Have you made a comparison between known versions and the version released on the soundtrack? PM me if you need some, er, reference material.

subtr likes this.
  14. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

The version from True Detective Season 1 was up on You Tube a couple of days ago but seems to have been taken down.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  15. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

To me it sounds distinctly like the FW promo version. Same vocal take, for sure. But the initial electric guitar note, which has a little bend in it is present in both, a couple of piano fills are in both, too. The little harmonic blast is there as well. It's just a mono mix, rather than stereo, for starters (well, I only have the stereo version of the promo, no idea if it was issued in mono --- ok I've just hunted around on my hard drive and found a mono version).

So it's the same as the Freewheelin' promo version that never came to be issued as the real album.

16. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Additionally, I've found a much better sounding one, stereo again though, but it's the same instrumentation I'm pretty sure too. Couple of little drum stutters, especially towards the end, that seem to be the same.

17. revolution_vanderbilt

This is my impression as well. I'll simply be subbing this in.

subtr likes this.
  18. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Just got the soundtrack from HMV.

From the booklet:

ROCKS AND GRAVEL
    Performed by BOB DYLAN
    Produced by John Hammond
    Written by Bob Dylan
    Published by Special Rider Music (SESAC)
    Guitar/Harmonica - Bob Dylan
    Drums - Herb Lovelle
    Bass - Gene Ramey
    Guitar - Bruce Langhorne and George Barnes
    Piano - Dick Wellstood
    Bob Dylan appears courtesy of Columbia Records
    by arrangement with Sony Music Licensing

The sticker on the outside says:
    FEATURING SONGS BY
    Incluant des chansons de
    BOB DYLAN, LEONARD COHEN
    + 4 tracks from / + 4 chansons de
    LERA LYNN

No mention of it being unique to this collection.

Critter likes this.
  19. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Well, with this weeks news - this thread will be blown into a billion new pieces.....

In regards to 1966 footage: does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the available 1966 performance clips? Like an accounting of all the short clips in No Direction Home/Eat The Document? Dates, time lengths, etc.

This would be useful in trying to recreate a concert from everything available.

From the acoustic set, we have very little. A few verses of "Johanna."
    Most of "Just Like A Woman," and a bit of "Tambourine Man"
    Maybe a second or two of silent footage from Mickey Jones.

What else?

bobcat likes this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Hey, has anyone heard from @HominyRhodes in recent months?

I would have thought he would be all over the upcoming Dylan box.

It's no crime, and not unimaginable, for someone to just get sick of a message forum and abandon it. But for some reason I'm genuinely worried in this instance.

RayS likes this.
  21. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

I been thinking the same thing recently, I was intending to pm yourself or Ray shortly, hope everything is OK with him.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I was thinking about PMing it too, as my concern is strictly personal, but I felt it would be most effective to try to reach the most possible people. If he's reading this, I hope it doesn't come across as inappropriate.

23. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I pm'ed him when news first broke on Wednesday. Haven't heard anything back from him yet. :cry:

24. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

As mentioned in that book, his father and uncle owned a bookstore in Greenwich Village where beats and folkies hung out (I'm paraphrasing - don't have the book here) so he has some personal history with that whole scene as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.