Vacuum suction and RCM's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tim185, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is it possible that too much suction can warp vinyl when vac cleaning?

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not something I'd consider as possible.

timztunz and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Unless it's like Tractor Beam strength I would say not.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

What they said. ... er "No worries, Mate."
    -Bill

rtrt and tim185 like this.
  5. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

In the Okki Nokki user manual, it mentions that more than 2-3 rotations on vacuum can damage the record. I couldn't think of any good reason why this should be. So I tested it with a record I don't care about, and left it without rotating in one "line" on the record for about 30 seconds. That is equivalent to many many rotations, just on one radial line of the disc. After this, I tried playing it and there was horrible crackle in the area where I left the vacuum. I then tried cleaning it a second time, couldn't get rid of the crackle.....third time, still couldn't get rid of it.

I can't think of a good reason why "sucking" on a record for even an hour should do anything to it...it doesn't get hot, there is no abrasion......I am baffled.

6. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd love to know why Johnstat, I can't think of a reason though.

7. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

It's always been my understanding/belief that leaving an LP rotating for too long in the vacuum step of the cleaning process would introduce static electricity to the LP. Have you tried any of the various de-static methods employed by users to see if that makes the crackles go away? "RELEASE THE CRACKLES!!"

ssmith3046 likes this.
  8. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

How hot does the Okki Nokki get? Could it possibly be a combination of sustained heat and suction on that radial line that caused a deformity in the grooves?

9. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

You are correct. The friction creates static. I always clean the LP a day before I want to listen to it critically, due to the static, which frequently sounds like a pressing defect ... until you play it again the next day. Or use static-reduction devices.

10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I think it's more about damage a dry pad might do to the grooves, though I think the possibility is slim.

John K.

11. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I had thought the best way to remove static, if it is indeed that, was to simply wet wash it again, as the fluids remove static quite happily from new records....But it didn't help in this instance remove the crackle.

12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Never tried that. One other thing I forgot to mention is an obvious one: the amount of vacuuming (i.e., total revolutions) is directly proportional to the amount of static. I limit my vacuum cycles to two revolutions each for the wash and rinse cycles.

timztunz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.