David Letterman to retire in 2015. Stephen Colbert to take over.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Poor Napoleon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I thought Colbert's video mocking Trump was not terribly funny (and definitely not because of political reasons either) and I am underwhelmed by his choice of bandleader. I am dismayed to see that musically, where television is concerned, we are still making concessions to people who can no longer be offended as they are already dead...

He needs to pull up his socks or we'll be having tense debates about how Colbert Leno'd himself when he got to the Late Show.

Please do better - you have big shoes to fill...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    dirwuf likes this.
  2. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I've not seen anything to make me excited about the new show, and the bandleader choice didn't help either.

audiomixer likes this.
  3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

It may be that because it's been a long day and I'm dead tired, but I don't 'get' what you're referring to in the "we are still making concessions to people who can no longer be offended as they are already dead" part of your post. Would you explain more fully, please?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  4. Avenging Robot

I'm not impressed by Colbert's choice of sub-par Disneyland Music suitable for the 1940's and it's possibly an indication of him "playing safe", "knuckling under" and/or" "dumbing down" for his larger audience.

5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

6. Avenging Robot

7. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Posted earlier tonight to Steve Martin's Facebook page:

[​IMG]
    "A big comedy night for Marty and me in San Antonio. Surprise guest, David Letterman."

8. AKA

AKA Senior Member

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That's great - thanks

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Looking good with the beard! Glad to see Dave alive and (apparently) well. Thanks for posting this.

11. Ah, so that's where the "Colbeard" went! ;)

12. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Thanks, I needed that Dave fix. "Every suit I own comes with a top ten list."

MRamble and OldSoul like this.
  13. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

Well that didn't make me miss him more at all.[/sarcasm]

MRamble and OldSoul like this.
  14. telliott

telliott Senior Member

15. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Worldwide Pants indeed! wtf Dave.. :wtf:

16. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

What's with the beards? Conan grew one after the NBC debacle, Colbert has one, now Letterman?!

17. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

DAVE!!!! :righton:

...and two other guys ...;)

blind_melon1 likes this.
  18. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I suspect that after decades of primping/makeup it's a relief to just say "Screw it" and let it all hang out.

AKA, OldSoul and Hawkeye like this.
  19. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

No one else find this kinda sad?? Dave..It's call a podcast, if you are that desperate for the roar of the greasepaint...

20. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

If you watch the full thing, he says Steve and Martin asked him to do this months ago. It wasn't a "I'm bored. I need something to do" situation.

Dreadnought likes this.
  21. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

22. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

That was an excellent interview on Stern, BTW. Now I'm really psyched to see his show.

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

One of the most interesting or revealing things I've heard Colbert say about this transition in his career is that he was tired of having to do interviews in character on the Colbert Report. He wanted to really talk to people without having to filter everything through that persona. So interviews -- or as I prefer to call them when it comes to talk shows, conversations -- are probably going to be something he really focuses on. Which we could use right now in the talk show world.

MRamble, jupiter8 and rburly like this.
  24. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Yup. additionally I am hoping Colbert can also tie together all the best qualities that make the other talks shows work (viral videos, song/dance numbers, smart writing, political angles) and mold one great show out of it. At the moment, none of the talk shows are offering the entire package. Frankly, if there was anyone who could pull it off--it's him.

OldSoul and Mr. H like this.
  25. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

As long as he doesn't do "headlines" or Beyondo, all will be OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.