Do you believe "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was intentionally about LSD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Bass, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" is obviously influenced by LSD, as that was the choice drug, of the Beatles at the time. What I'm curious about is, do you believe it was John's main intention to write this song, promoting the use of the drug? He was a very real/honest person, and admitted to several of his other song being about drugs, and defended those that were misinterpreted, including this one, with a "coincidental acronym". What are your thoughts? His explanation, about being influenced by Julian's painting seems genuine to me, yet many still think he's lying...

2. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

I believe the painting story and I also believe they didn't make the LSD/Lucy in Sky with Diamonds connection, but the song itself is absolutely acid infused--you could probably get a contact by just touching the grooves on the record. But I do believe him in the clip above.

3. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Yes, very much.

"Lucy In The Sky" seems as much intended as instructions for the tripper as "Tomorrow Never Knows," only the emphasis is on imagery. The opening "Picture your self on a boat" parallels "Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream."

I think of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" as a companion or sequel to "Tomorrow Never Knows."

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Erik B. likes this.
  4. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

I believe John that it was based on the painting, and that it was a painting of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds......but I do that that they realized the initials before the album came out, and in that acid-fueled winter of 1966/67 probably chalked it up to a great cosmic coincidence. I just think John didn't admit to that part :)

5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I don't believe that the song title refers to 'LSD', or else John would have said as such. I believe that he was inspired to write a song by his Son's painting, and he used his experiences with LSD to make a psychedelic classic.

6. Was "If U Seek Amy" a sexual innuendo?

Only a Beatle (or maybe a Byrd) could spout such a line of utter BS and have people actually believe it. Not that I blame him. Druggy songs were very popular at the time and also prone to being banned from the radio. John Lennon probably didn't consider that he was lying to his fans. He was just making an excuse to confuse the censors and couldn't imagine that some fans would actually believe him.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    gramfan, seed_drill, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  7. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Nope. Just as the poll choice suggests, he would have admitted it.

jeatleboe and Mike Bass like this.
  8. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

It was such an obvious reference to LSD that I feel he was too embarrassed to say it was. He strived to be more stealth in his references, on this one he wasn't. IMO

9. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Julian was, what, four at the time? Sounds pretty elaborate for someone of that age. This is it, apparently now owned by one David Gilmour.

[​IMG]

nitsuj and Fullbug like this.
  10. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Now, Jimi Hendrix' "Stars That Play with Laughing Sam's Dice" is a different matter... ;P

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Well, teh song it's beautifully psychedelic all over, it might be about hallucigenic trips, but I do believe in John's explanation about Julian's drawing.

Mike Bass likes this.
  12. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Well, a four year old that was raised in a house that was likely full of pot smoke most of his early life...

13. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'd bet Cynthia Lennon did not go for that sort of thing. And John was off with The Beatles on tour.

Tim Wilson likes this.
  14. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

And yet the painting exists, and "Lucy" herself was very real and passed away a few years ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Mus...the.sky.with.diamonds/index.html?iref=24hours

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...young-girl-inspired-classic-Beatles-song.html

Even Julian in interviews has affirmed what John always said about the origins of the song.

Boris number 9, JDeanB and jeatleboe like this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've got to admit, though, that it's a pretty elaborate drawing for a 4-year-old kid.

16. I could give any one of my children or grandchildren a title and they would happily paint anything I wanted them to.

17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

It's a very subversive album. Hidden initials spelling LSD does not seem out of place. Also a lot of celebrities think its their prerogative to make things up as it suits them.
    I think John was in the midst of being hounded by the gov't during the period of that interview. It's not like admitting to such things would help his case.

18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Just curious -- are you into conspiracy theories?

teag likes this.
  19. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

True, but look at the parents! John, aside from his musical accomplishments drew and painted and his mother was also a very talented artist. The deck was stacked that Julian would show some aptitude one way or another for the creative arts. So it doesn't surprise me that he would draw that well. It's in his DNA! :)

JDeanB, Tord, petem1966 and 2 others like this.
  20. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Inspired somewhat by taking it, but not about.

21. No. That's one reason I don't believe John Lennon's hoax.

22. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I think you may have it backwards.

Tim Wilson likes this.
  23. longaway

longaway Senior Member

I think he saw Julian's drawing of Lucy first. Like any parent with a small child, had to ask a few questions to understand the image, some of which were a bit leading.

"Who's this?"

"It's my friend, Lucy."

"Okay. What's she doing?"

"I don't know..."

"Come on, Jul. You drew it. Is she swimming, maybe?"

"No. She's flying!"

"And these things? Are they supposed to be stars? They look a lot like diamonds."

"Um, yes, Daddy! They're diamonds!"

*mischievous smirk*

"So it's Lucy, in the Sky, with Diamonds?"

"Yeah. Yeah! You got it, Daddy, you got it!"

*Julian hops around delighted*

*John snickers to himself about the joke he just made. Thinks it might make for a cool song*

As to why he'd never admit it, there are multiple reasons. First, John would never want to be seen as being that obvious. Second, he learned a bit from the "Bigger than Jesus" drama. Third, after that period, LSD just wasn't cool.

24. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

The title is most certainly derived from the child's painting. So if people want to draw a conclusion based on an acronym, that doesn't work.

The imagery within the song seems acid influenced but it also doesn't seem that far flung from his poetry and other writings that were created well before he began taking hallucinogens.

So no, I don't think it was specifically crafted as a drug reference but maybe some acid influence crept in. Penny Lane had some acidy moments too but I don't think Paul had started tripping yet...

JDeanB, YouKnowEyeKnow and Mike Bass like this.
  25. Eh, who knows. This sort of "oooh, aren't we clever?" hidden drug referencing was common at the time, but I also tend to think that if it was a deliberate LSD reference then Lennon would've eventually said as much.

EDIT: Longaway's theory-in-dialogue above sounds pretty good, and I'd bet something like that is what happened.

longaway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.