Jane's Addiction

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Criminy pete, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love the sound of Nothing's Shocking. I have no issues with whatsoever. I think the guitar sound is massive and the claustrophobic atmosphere of the record really lends itself to the material.

2. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I dragged my brother to see them play at Carb Day during the Indy 500 this year. I have been a big fan since a couple freaky girls waiting with me at a bus stop lent me the XXX cassette, around '88. My bro is quite a bit younger than me and was only really aware of the radio cuts going into the show, basically Jane and Stealing. Needless to say he and I were both blown away by the massive psychedelic sound these guys still produce. Killer setlist and energy. He said it might be one of the best shows he had witnessed to date. I would not hesitate to see them again if the opportunity arises. Being Addicted means you have good taste.

supernaut and Criminy pete like this.
  3. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

4. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Especially if you can track down a copy of Strays on a Dualdisc/DVD-A with a 5.1 mix. It was a very limited test release, but copies show up every once in a while. It's worth seeking out. I'd love NS or Ritual in 5.1!

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Django

Django Forum Resident

Listening to ritual right now.....
    :wiggle:

Criminy pete and Oliver like this.
  6. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Love Jane's Addiction especially Ritual. I think I played it non-stop the summer after it was released. Basically became a huge Dave Navarro fan due to him sounding a bit like a couple of my other favorite guitar players at the time-the raw, off the rails shredding solo style of Jimmy Page with the textural chords (especially the F sharp suspended) of Alex Lifeson.
    Such an original sounding band.
    "Three Days" is probably my favorite tune-epic. "Then She Did"not far behind.

s m @, Criminy pete, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  7. Django

Django Forum Resident

I always associate that chord with Janes, I am one (smashing pumpkins) & he is dead by suede.

Clearly Lifeson beat them to it.

supernaut, junk and Oliver like this.
  8. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

A huge fan from their very earliest days. Would love an expanded XXX album of the entire Roxy show(s). However, imo the 1990 Hollywood Palladium show on the Cabinet of Curiosities box set is simply incredible. Such a powerful band at their absolute apex.

9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I'd say I enjoy One Hot Minute better than anything the band (RHCP) released afterwards.

10. Django

Django Forum Resident

Mr. Perkins drumming on ain't nobody leaving is great. Love those tom fills.

11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It's really a shame they didn't keep it together long enough to do more music the first time around. The later incarnations have never come close to capturing the magic the original band had.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Ritual in 5.1 would be fab, love to hear what Bob Clearmountain would do with the second half of that album.

I can turn this louder than is comfortable or safe for my hearing.

45rpm? Never heard of that, can you post a couple pics?

tedhead likes this.
  13. Jane's Addiction certainly changed my musical landscape in the late 80's, basically from the first time I heard 'Nothing's Shocking' at a party in '88. A buddy played the whole album really LOUD & the house just seemed to levitate off the ground 'till it was over. Underground-music freaks loved Jane's & deservedly so. I was gutted after they called it quits after 'Ritual'. I couldn't understand why they would just walk away after making what I thought was arguably the greatest 'alternative-rock' album yet. Still don't get it...

:sigh:

14. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

Big fan here. I got to see the original Jane's Addiction line-up (i.e. w/Eric Avery on bass) at Voodoo Fest on October 31, 2009. That was incredibly cool.

"Three Days" is truly epic.

Criminy pete, supernaut and nitsuj like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Bad, bad blood between Eric Avery and Perry Farrell was the chief reason. They weren't speaking for at least a year towards the end due to Avery making a pass at Casey Niccoli and it made Perry super pissed. Apparently, Farrell and Avery still have an acrimonious relationship to this day, despite Avery rejoining the band several years ago. When Avery bailed again, it caused another s-storm and Farrell was pissed all over again over old wounds.

Old Rusty likes this.
  16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The Cabinet of Curiosities box might be the definitive statement about them. It includes demos of ALMOST all their songs, the various odds and ends, and what I'm pretty sure is the best recorded concert of their's.

17. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Lollapalooza 1991 was the time to see them just go out with an explosion. Ice T joining them on stage for Sly and the Family Stone's "Don't Call Me Ni**er, Whitey" was rock history in the making. There was so much tension throughout the entire set and that was the icing on the cake.

As I said before, when other alt rock bands came and got way bigger, I rolled my eyes because they all looked and sounded the same. No more psychedelic freaks in the alt rock scene, got more "rock bro frat daddies beating up each other in the mosh pit" oriented.

I suppose its a loss that I'll never "get over".

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I would love an expanded XXX too or some more early live releases

nitsuj likes this.
  19. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Isn't Perry singing "End to the Lies" directly to Eric?

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I read an interview where he said he wasn't, but if you listen to the lyrics, it's pretty clear he is.

supernaut likes this.
  21. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I definitely need to give Stray and especially Escape Artist (seeing as how I never bought it) more time. I remember being kind of disappointed in Strays partially because of probably my own unrealistic expectations.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

I agree. "Obvious" is another song apparently aimed at Eric and in the recent Rolling Stone article on Ritual that someone linked earlier, Perry doesn't state it's directly about him but it seems pretty, well...obvious.

I was disheartened too when the '09 reunion didn't play out beyond just a summer tour. They did record studio versions of "Whores" and "Chip Away" that really rock but old tensions arose and it ended very badly. It's sad because Avery was such a crucial part of the band. He wrote most of the songs with Perry and those bass lines are the crux of most of the early albums. But the two of them are just too different to get along. Perry likes being a rock star, Eric does not.

TeleKing, supernaut and GodShifter like this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

They aren't really Jane's Addiction without Eric. I believe Perry knows that and that it is the real source of his harsh feelings towards the guy.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yes, I think the second time he quit Perry was more pissed at Eric's cavalier attitude towards the band. If you read interviews with Navarro he essentially reinforces Farrell's feelings and basically says Eric's a flake.

supernaut likes this.
  25. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Stephen Perkins is a monster percussionist and has his chops on display in his band Banyan. I've recently rediscovered one of their albums and forgot how good it is, really diverse and fantastic:

Bruce Racket, supernaut and s m @ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.