Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Surprised the new archive advance promos aren't floating around yet...it's usually 3 or 4 weeks prior

2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt Thread Starter

That version had no bite - it was all suck! :D

Rocco likes this.
  3. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Didn't follow the thread for a while, but now the full version of the title track is streamable - as mentioned weeks ago, when the first samples came out and the track went live on iTunes, http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tug-of-war-remix.452078/page-2#post-12751077 etc. - the remix samples so far are disappointing in the vocal territory. Over-compressed, too much de-essing (on 'Here Today'), and if anything the vocals are now drowning instead of standing out, with the "pseudo-stereo" effect on some of the harmonies sounding very unnatural, almost to the point of it sounding out of phase. Hope the rest has more impact.

4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, Paul WAS going to release a Wings box of rarities at Xmas 2001 - that's probably where your bonus material would have been...

theMess likes this.
  5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Exactly. It was supposed to be released in conjunction with "Wingspan", but like so many things, it never came to fruition.

theMess likes this.
  6. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Oh man, around that time, I actually had a dream that I was holding Paul's box and George's Portrait of a Leg End box in my hands. When the 2 cd Wingspan set was released, I was soooooo disappointed.

Rocco and theMess like this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Pre-order Paul McCartney’s four-disc Tug of War deluxe book edition from Amazon Canada and save more than 55 percent on the UK price!

The Canadian site currently lists both Tug of War and Pipes of Peace deluxe editions at just under $64 Canadian dollars which equates to just over £31! Amazon UK lists them at £73.
    If fact, the prices are so low in Canada that you can buy the deluxe book and LP editions of BOTH albums for a total price of £100. Obviously you much think about shipping and any import duties.

theMess and gibtti like this.
  8. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

Was Oobu Joobu pt 1-6 as close as we came?

9. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

Well, you got Bip Bop/Hey Diddle :o

JimC likes this.
  10. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Now that I've picked up a decent entry turntable (and finally been able to listen to The Beatles in Mono, wow) I've been sorely tempted to start picking up the vinyl reissues as well. The only problem is, many don't appear to be readily available at a decent price in the UK!

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

We get shafted with everything here. Look at the prices Amazon are charging for the POP and TOW deluxes!

theMess likes this.
  12. gibtti

gibtti Forum Resident

Amazon UK's pre-order pricing recently has left a lot to be desired. I take it as they've seen off most of the competition they're no longer needing to be competitive...

Over the past year, I've weaned myself off having to have stuff at release date, and by looking further afield have saved heaps of money by ordering from Amazon Italy/Germany.

For this round of Macca releases I've been holding off again but bit the bullet last night and ordered the deluxe editions from Amazon Canada @ £31 each. Even with p&p and possibly customs charges it's still substantially cheaper than Amazon UK.

I have a soft spot for Pipes Of Peace but I just could not bring myself to pay £73 for a deluxe box of it. It is not worth that in a million years.

Chris

Paul H and sonnyrock like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Does anyone know what the RRP is of the new deluxes? I'm assuming even Amazon UK has 'reduced' this somewhat..

14. Thrillington

Quite. At the moment I have potential pre-orders from Amazon UK, Italy and as of now Canada. This is in addition to my initial order through Kingsroad (the US store, due to their annoyingly staggered store launch). As we get closer to the release date I'll be cancelling all but the best offer for each album. Even if it means waiting up to two months for these albums to arrive from overseas!

15. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I seriously wonder why the pricing on amazon.uk is often so much less competitive. I think it can't be competition issues, since their market position in the US is probably even more dominant (I speculate). There are exceptions, of course - notably amazon.uk is often cheaper than amazon.com on UK-produced CDs, for example the recent Kinks, Everything But the Girl, and Supergrass deluxe editions. But it seems like amazon regularly works less happily in the UK than in North America. When I'm in Europe, amazon.uk is on my menu of possible vendors, but I usually find someplace cheaper. Anyone with a informed view on this?

16. Thrillington

Judging by the Universal store, £64.99 is the RRP. So Amazon is still above it (though I'm sure I saw it drop into the £60 range briefly a few weeks back). Annoyingly, my order status still lists it at £80-odd quid, so much for this pre-order price promise.

17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the Kingsroad pre-orders can be cancelled despite payment being taken already?

If so I'm very tempted to cancel and reorder through Amazon.ca.

18. Bobby Morrow

That's weird... I thought the official price would be well over what Amazon were asking. Come back HMV.com, all is forgiven.

19. Bobby Morrow

Amazon UK pulled this stunt last year with V&M and WATSOS. They stuck rigidly to the high prices they charged until a few weeks after the sets had been released. IIRC, they dropped both by about £15 then. Don't know what they're charging for them now...

20. Bobby Morrow

Have just ordered the Deluxes from Amazon Canada. If I've worked it out right it comes to about £73 with p&p. Can't help but think these are a cert to get picked up for import tax.:D

If that happens, does anyone know how much extra this would cost for these two albums?

21. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Here's a curiosity. Amazon Germany have just listed a CD Maxi (single) release of McCartney/Jackson's 'Say, Say, Say' listed for November 20th. No details given.

22. bigal00769

bigal00769 Forum Resident

Well I preordered Tug of War deluxe edition and the vinyl through Amazon.com. I just had to have one of those swank tote bags so I preordered the Pipes of Peace Best Buy exclusive. That should cover these releases.

23. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Ooh, that might be interesting! I wonder what the 'b-sides' will be.

theMess likes this.
  24. Johnny the Fox

Johnny the Fox hot to hustle

Literally.

25. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

You can work it out here.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.