The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

$200! It's a lot of great stuff. I'll have to give it some thought. It's only available at Monkees.com so I'd imagine the price is firm.

• All 58 episodes, newly remastered in stunning HD from the original negatives for the very first time, plus the 1969 TV Special "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee"
    • Bonus material featuring commentaries from all four Monkees, original Kellogg's Monkees commercials, and more
    • The 1968 Monkees film "HEAD" in HD with never-before-seen outtakes
    • Unique packaging including a 7" of two previously unreleased TV mixes
    • Strictly limited to 10,000 individually numbered sets

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I had to laugh when I woke up to this on Facebook. I was 8 in 1966, and apparently my tastes have changed.
    I bought the DVDs a year, or two back, and found them so awful, I sold them without even finishing them. Never done that before.

scobb, Vinyl is final, rlp and 8 others like this.
  3. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

My guess is that there will be a wide release a few months later, minus the 7" and maybe Head. I'll probably hold out for that.

I really do like this show--sure, it's a little corny, but at least they're aware of how absurd it is, so it's still genuinely fun to watch for me. But much like the 60s Batman, I can definitely see why it doesn't hold up for everyone.

4. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I wish Rhino had a European store!

5. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

any subtitles?

Upsiditus and Jimmy B. like this.
  6. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

It would be nice to have the episodes but $199 is far too much. If they come up with a less expensive package, I'll consider it.

goodiesguy, billdcat, fiscus1 and 5 others like this.
  7. monkeytree

monkeytree Forum Resident

It does say "This fan-only edition includes exclusive packaging and a 7" featuring two previously unreleased TV mixes"
    So I'm guessing there's a non fan-only edition coming.

anthontherun and Pizza like this.
  8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I'm good with the dvds i snapped
    up last year during Monkeemania

Keith V, audiomixer and Pizza like this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I pretty much agree. I still love the music but had a hard time making it through the whole DVD set. Head holds up for me. Wish I could just get that.

rstamberg, Pizza and WPLJ like this.
  10. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Head outtakes?? Any deleted scenes, like the cut 'mirror' stuff?

D-rock and Pizza like this.
  11. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

HEAD outtakes are mentioned as being included.

D-rock, vince and Pizza like this.
  12. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Hmmmm. I REALLY want this set. I've got the two boxes of the series on DVD but judging from other recent archive releases (Batman, Star Trek) this could look stunning in HD, plus all the new out-takes. I WANT IT! But...I'm in the UK so unless these blu-rays are region free I'm stuffed. :-( I might mail the site and see if they're region free or not. Such a nice looking set though.

13. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

According to Monkees.com, they are region free.

D-rock, Jarleboy, goodiesguy and 5 others like this.
  14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This package is aimed at fans who want high quality transfers, and who enjoy the music and the show.
    So you won't be buying it, then.
    Whatta grouch!! :D

D-rock, ItsNotIt's, ognirats and 4 others like this.
  15. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

My feelings on it, too. Lot of cool stuff in the package, but the cost is too high. If it were half the listed price, I'd go for it though.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I wonder how they ensure this goes to fans only? Do you need to notarize an affirmation that you are a fan? What if you subsequently go back on your affirmation, or else it is determined you were lying in the first place. I wonder how deep a background check they may carry out to ensure only fans get this. And will there be an appeal process for those who are denied?

17. zen

zen Senior Member

I've got no bluray ...money saved!! Anyway, I'm content with my original DVD set.

You didn't see the best episodes. :tsk::D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    pablo fanques, Pizza, agundy and 2 others like this.
  18. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

I "like" the show, but I'm more a fan of the music than the show. Not worth $200 for me. Maybe I'll buy when it drops to $100.

Bring me that "More of the Monkees - Super Deluxe Box".

19. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I wonder if it has any of alternate music audio tracks for the episodes. I hope that's what some of the 'surprises' are. I ordered it and I guess I'll find out.

20. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

"Head" is already out on Blu-Ray in the RaBert "America Lost and Found: The BBS Story" set.

21. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

My ideal for this set - though truly I'm just pleased it even MADE it to Blu-Ray:
    (I'm sure the transfer will look great, has to be an improvement over the DVD set!)
    - alternate soundtracks that include the later songs that were inserted in reruns
    - outtakes from key or all episodes
    - new commercials and upgraded picture for commercials
    - the better looking pilot print that hopefully includes missing scenes like Peter in his wetsuit with his dress suit under it and the Monkees dressed as gangsters. Supposedly a longer print was found in the collection of a Screen Gems exec so I'm hoping that the longer print is used
    - original mono sound in lossless - no crappy 5.1 fake soundtrack
    - all screen test footage added to the set as well

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yeah, and I have been thinking about selling my Blu Ray copy of Head.

Pizza likes this.
  23. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

My wife ordered me one as an early birthday present. I simply could not be more excited for this set. They had me at "restored from original negatives" but then they had to throw in all those bonuses. I would have settled for just the former, but then they had to go and make it better than my wildest dreams.

Getting the show in pristine quality is exactly what I wanted. Anything else is just, erm... gravy.

24. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

$200 is a good chunk of change but remember that the original VHS set was $399.00 -- the first time all 58 TV show episodes had been released as a complete set.

This may be the release that gets me to buy a Bluray player.

I would like to know about all the above too -- from the description at Monkees.com, it pretty much sounds like the same set they released on DVD plus the inclusion of Head.

I would love to have the alternate audio tracks for the redubbed songs from the summer 1967 reruns and 1969-70 Saturday morning reruns -- if it's ever going to happen, this is it. However...how many alternate audio tracks can you have on a Bluray? Some of the episodes on the DVD sets have more than one audio commentary. Can this technically be done without having to add more versions of the episodes? For instance, there were three different versions of the "Royal Flush" episode -- the original version with "This Just Doesn't Seem To Be My Day" and "Take A Giant Step," the summer 1967 rerun version with "You Told Me" and "The Girl I Knew Somewhere," and the 1969-70 Saturday morning rerun version with "Apples, Peaches, Bananas And Pears" and "Good Clean Fun." Also, my obsessive completist comes out now: for the episodes with redubbed songs, they also changed the closing credits to reflect the replacement tunes. And I'm not certain about this -- I know most of the syndicated versions of the first season shows had the second season intro. Was this true for the Saturday morning reruns? (I guess there is such a thing as "too much of a completist.") But I want the Screen Gems "S from Hell" toilet paper logo too, if there is any way to make that happen. (I am guessing the unaired pilot would have had the "dancing sticks" Screen Gems logo?)

I wonder if the picture portion of the "TV Music Bridge" is extant. (I seem to recall reading that there may have been more than one version of it, using different scenes.) This would be nice to have as well.

About the commercials -- on the DVD sets, they included a small number of the Kellogg's commercials (and a Yardley), only one of which appeared to be from a film source, the rest looked like they came from collector video copies. I am interested to know if there are more of these, and if better source material might have been found? Also, the Kool-Aid commercials would be nice to have too -- I am guessing they would have been included on the old DVD sets if Rhino could get Kool-Aid to play ball with them? (Bugs Bunny shouldn't be a problem since he's part of the WB family.)

It would be really nice to have that "Oh My My" clip that recently showed up (in better shape than what had circulated before) too!

And there's the 1997 TV special, and the Disney Channel documentary, and the Heart And Soul promo video, and the Justus promo video. And the music videos of "That Was Then, This Is Now" and the "Daydream Believer" remix, and the MTV Christmas video. (Okay, maybe in a perfect world we could have everything.)

But you guys know how this works. Keep your old DVD sets, because chances are something on there will not make the transition to Bluray. *cough*Glen Campbell Easter eggs*cough*

25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Wouldn't Rhino have to pay a sync fee to use the repeat soundtracks?