Is the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB a decent turntable and better than the LP60-USB?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Josh Reznikov II, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh Reznikov II

Josh Reznikov II Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the AT-LP60-USB, but have heard the needle is $5 material and that the cheap needle is capable of stripping the grooves on a vinyl. :confused:

2. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

3. Josh Reznikov II

Josh Reznikov II Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is a good or a bad thing

4. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

Yes it's better, but you could also do better than the AT LP120 too. There is always better.

moogt3 and drivingfrog like this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Check out some of the samples in the needledrop thread. We've got several forum members contributing really great sounding recordings done with their AT-LP120s. The key is to remove the built-in pre-amp as doing so really opens up the sound of the turntable. Yes, that will void your warranty and yes, it's not easily undertaken by someone who hasn't worked with electronics before, but it is actually not difficult and there are several videos on Youtube that show how to do it.

moogt3 and Centrum like this.
  6. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Everything is going to be opinion. In my opinion, don't buy any of the AT turntables. If you are in the US and want an entry level table, I'd suggest the U Turn Orbit. If you want to upgrade it later you can, without having to do modifications. It is the best, budget, entry level table going in my opinion.

krisbee likes this.
  7. In my respectful opinion, the AT-LP120-USB is the very best brand-new turntable you can get with the least amount of money. And it comes with a fitting cartridge, since I also think the AT95E is the best for the least.

And it's WAY above the AT-LP60-USB.

8. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

isn't it 60 better?

9. moogt3

moogt3 Member

no.

10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

60 + 60 = 120 though

krisbee likes this.
  11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I have an LP 120 and love it. No regrets here, been using it almost every day for 3 years now.

12. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

So the 120 is twice as good!

krisbee likes this.
  13. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

The lp60 is a classic mustang, v6

The LP 120 is a Mustang Mach 1 with a 351c.

A really great Mustang Mach 1 is one you modify and make it better, we have the technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.