Bosch TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peace N. Love, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi

A few months ago, I just discovered Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels and have been eagerly working my way through them and loving them. I know there is a Bosch series out but, to be honest, I am leery about watching it because, loving the novels so much, I am afraid watching the show might detract in some way. So I'm curious to hear from anyone else here who is a fan of the books, what's your take on the TV version?

2. HILO

HILO Senior Member

I am a huge fan of Michael Connelly's work.
    I don't watch much video if any, when I heard about this I was very interested.So as a disclaimer,I am not an expert on anything video. That said ........I loved it.His character was true,scenes of L.A. great and the music worked.
    I understand a second season is in the works.
    COOL!

3. bresna

bresna Senior Member

We have a thread on the Netflix series on the forums. The series is called "Bosch".

4. I watched the first season on Amazon Prime, so I am going to guess it is an Amazon Prime series, not Netflix. I am also a MIchael Connelly fan and think the series is very well done.

5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

You are correct sir. Good series.

6. Peace N. Love

Thanks, everyone for the feedback - sounds like it's worth checking out. Well, as soon as I finish Nine Dragons...

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Good stuff , hope they do S02 !

8. Peace N. Love

Apparently, they are already filming it.

Scope J likes this.
  9. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Can you still watch Season 1 on Amazon Prime?

10. woody

woody Forum Resident

I think so

11. Peace N. Love

I watched the trailer and, while it looked pretty good, I have kind of a bugaboo that has prevented me from watching the series. The Bosch novels are so beautifully sketched that Harry has almost become like a close friend, and I somehow feel like watching the series will alter the perception I have built up of this character. Stupid, I know...

12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I've read every Michael Connelly book and watching this great show hasn't altered anything about the books for me. Highly recommend it. Glad this author is finally getting his writing into TV. Michael was involved in the show I believe.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Season 4 has been given the go ahead (even before Season 3 has started!)

Synthfreek likes this.
  14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Very good news. There's a new Connellly book coming soon as well.

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Season 3 is out!

bababooey and progrocker71 like this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Does anyone know why this show isn't on Amazon Prime video in Canada?

17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I'm really surprised this show isn't getting more attention here. The acting is first-rate, there are multiple interesting plotlines (not one second of show time is wasted on artsy diversions), it's gritty, it's the best cop show on TV, period. It captures the tedious, tortuous nature of fact gathering that dominates most police work better than any other show, and when the evidence leads to a break you're as relieved as the cops are. Titus Welliver, who plays Bosch, is a journeyman actor who thankfully was given this show and absolutely kills it every week.

Ziggy71, Gardo, artfromtex and 5 others like this.
  18. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I find it really easy to separate book and TV show/movie so it would never prevent me from enjoying, or even trying, one or the other, both or neither. The Bosch TV show is first rate, strong set of characters played by some fine actors, great story and nicely filmed. Season 3 kicked off really well and I'm hooked in already. Glad to hear there's a Season 4 underway. It's also got a classic intro with catchy theme even if they don't have intros at the start anymore!

I got a feeling that I can't let go...

Strat-Mangler, andybeau and Brenald79 like this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I completely agree. Surprised it's not getting more attention considering there's quite a few popular crime/cop shows. Connelly wrote dozens of classic crime fiction novels before Breaking Bad or The Wire existed. It's first rate tv show, best current crime show and might be the best ever crime tv series by the end of it.

andybeau likes this.
  20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I really enjoy Bosch too. I'll be finishing the new season tonight. It's gritty, dark, smart and has a really cool neo-noir feel to it. And Harry Bosch is an audiophile too! My only real criticism-for the third season anyway-is that there is *so* much going on, so many characters, so many plots and subplots, that it's easy to get lost. I hope this season doesn't end on a cliffhanger, because next year, I won't remember anything!

21. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

And how about Bosch going in to Amoeba and buying a Horace Tapscott LP!!!

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I've seen season one and two and didn't really feel like this show was that great. I like Titus Welliver a lot, but the show just seemed like your standard police drama. The whole thing with the serial killer in season one was just flat bad and predictable to a fault. The second season was a bit better but nothing spectacular either. I pretty much watched this because there wasn't much else to watch at the time. I'll probably watch season three but it's really low on the priority list of stuff to catch.

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Finally figured out how to watch season 3 in Canada. It's on Crave Tv, which I'm trying out for free for a month, but not Amazon Video Canada. I just joined Amazon Prime Canada partly for the shows on Amazon Video, thinking that would include Bosch.

There's a great new series on Prime called Startup that fans of Bosch might like. It's about a Miami hacker who develops a digital currently similar to bitcoin who gets mixed up with a crooked FBI agent (Martin Freeman from Sherlock), ghetto drug lords, and the Russian mob. Warning: the pilot has 4 very steamy sex scenes but there's only a few more the rest of the series. Edi Gathegi (The Blacklist) is great as the Hatian-American drug dealer trying to get out of the gang life. Renewed for season 2.
    StartUp (TV Series 2016– ) - IMDb

24. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I am just finished season one and will continue the remaining seasons. This is a very good program.

25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It is a really good show with almost none of the annoying sub plots that every other series have. Good acting too!
    I'll give it a somewhat weak 4/5 because I'd like Bosch in the books way more