Warning to all record collectors!!! (outer bag/inner sleeve concerns)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Oct 17, 2014.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I would add that the only problem MOFI sleeve I encountered was on a copy of REM's Document. It left a residue on my hands that was similar to the bad pink inner sleeves. I would say that the MOFI problem was extremely limited.

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Fortunately, the residue from the pink inner sleeves washes off (unlike the damage from PVC sleeves, which appears to be permanent).

My RSD Big Star 3rd had the pink inner sleeve and there was a ton of residue on the vinyl. I cleaned it with the VPI machine and replaced the sleeve. Man, what a great album and package, and amazing sound to boot.

3. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

I just acquired a 100% Pure LP copy of The Rolling Stones - "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" and it came in one of the thick PVC outer sleeves. I'm going to change it out but geez, you'd think that after all the effort put into this line that they'd know better. :shrug:

Sounds great, by the way. :uhhuh:

jon9091 likes this.
  4. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I swear I checked my sleeves a while ago when I first saw this for the MoFi bag rash, and didn't see anything. probably just didn't get it at the right angle. I don't know why I went to check again, but of course I see it now. I'm now in the process of cleaning 100 or so records. I couldn't bring myself to buy more MoFi sleeves, yes I know the problems is fixed now, but damn...
    Went back to Diskeeper sleeves. I got a 50 pack a while ago when the MoFis went out of stock, and none of them have bag rash. You think you're protecting your records and then this happens. It's scary stuff when you've put so much time, effort and money in your collection. Don't suppose there's any Diskeeper horror stories I need to know about?
    :shrug:

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, that's a good analogy, but it's not really the same problem. It's these types of dumbing down science that makes the general public distrust science. But, I should offer my apologies, because I don't mean to point my finger in your direction.

Fog deposition on one's windshield is dependent upon the dew point and the air temperature and the temperature of one's car windows. Phthalates in flexible plastics leach under most conditions with no regard to temperature or dew point. Phthalate leaching is a surface phenomenon; condensation is a dew point issue.

Mintsauce likes this.
  6. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

You might want to recheck his statement before saying anything has been dumbed down - "a fog" isn't the same as condensation, and the dashboard crud depositing on the inside of the windshield is a very real thing.

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Not sure I follow your point. I believe I was stating that "a fog" isn't the same as condensation. I am also the victim of windshield deposition. ;)

8. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

Are polyethylene inner sleeves safe for protecting cd's that came in all paper digipaks? The ones I bought resemble miniature versions of the most common outter sleeves for LP's, except the plastic looks a bit more clear and fine.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

So far, no one has mentioned any problems with polyethylene sleeves, either for vinyl or CD's.

MaximilianRG likes this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

CDs and DVDs can also become fogged. I had a few that were in plastics sleeves that were becoming foggy like the LPs we have been discussing, except the disc could be cleaned and the fog removed.

I would check the discs every six months or so snd make sure they are not going bad.

11. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Polyethene is a stable polymer. There wont be any problems.

MaximilianRG and SergioRZ like this.
  12. MaximilianRG

Ok good. I started storing them this way because I got tired of discs getting scratched by cardboard. My copy of 50 Words for Snow (Kate Bush) and the bonus DVD of Far (Regina Spektor) got scratched by the cardboard sleeves. In fact, the only CD's I've managed to scratch were from cardboard sleeves, excluding mini LP's.

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

So, any idea if playing records that have reacted can damage the stylus? Or possibly any records played right after?

14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

If the record has been cleaned there should be no stylus damage. The fog being referred to here is an etching of the vinyl surface.

15. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I think I read somewhere here in this thread (didn't go back over the whole thing) that storing CDs in sealed plastic bins can do something bad to them, maybe fog them somehow, and that you can tell the bad kind of plastic bin by there being a maybe sweet smell when you open the bin? Is this really a problem? I have a few hundred CDs in sealable plastic bins, that do have a slight smell when first opened, but I just looked through a whole bunch of CDs that were stored in them and saw nothing unusual about them at all, no fogging or anything. Does anyone really know if this is a problem, or just something that someone feared might be a problem? Thanks!

16. MaximilianRG

This is what happened to my Michael Jackson singles collection. This item:

http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-9-Singles-Pack/release/717679

This is really messed up because that is the sleeve it came in. All the records have surface noise that sounds like tape his times 10. Some of them sound like a sink was running in the recording studio.

[​IMG]

17. MaximilianRG

Damn. I've been pondering buying some of these http://www.containerstore.com/s/col...e/cds/large-media-box/123d?productId=10028031 but now I don't know if I will.

18. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Maybe it's the screen I'm looking on, but I really can't see anything problematic in the picture you posted. Can you explain what it is you are seeing or trying to show in the photo?

Thanks

19. MaximilianRG

Foggy (not glossy/reflective) vinyl, easier to see in the run-out area, hard to photograph.

20. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Mine is the same but I have never played them. Bought it for the picture sleeves. The whole packaging was not the greatest. The sleeves bend a little because it is too thick when folded. Will have to play it later this week and see if they sound decent.

Pat

21. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

That Michael Jackson record looks exactly like what PVC does to your vinyl! The constant hiss is symptomatic.

FWIW I don't think PVC affect CDs the same way. CDs are made of a different material from vinyl records. Make sure though that PVC or certain type of plastic sleeves don't actualy contact the CDs themselves. I've seen such sleeves leave a layer of oily muck on the CDs -- it comes off with some alcohol cleaning but with some difficulty.

Polyethylene outer sleeves for digipacks seem fine. In fact they protect my CDs from ingress of dust, mould and moisture!

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Trapper J likes this.
  23. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

You may have been thinking of this post:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/am-i-warping-my-vinyl.368495/page-2#post-10802645

24. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Dino likes this.
  25. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I thought that this might be what you were remembering.

I remember posts about PVC sleeves sometimes "fogging" CDs. I am not remembering any posts about plastic containers "fogging" CDs.

But we cannot read all of the posts nor remember all of the posts that we read. :)

So there may be posts about plastic containers damaging CDs that I either didn't catch or forgot. I certainly hope that is not a problem. I have a bunch of CDs in such containers myself. :(