Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Many of us are nutty enough that we *would* pre-order Volume 13 sight unseen. :)

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Ah, the legendary "This Old Man" sessions!

3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

For those in the know -- is all the stuff that was featured on the TEN OF SWORDS multi-record boot now officially available?

4. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

One thing I love about this set is that it includes the 9 tracks (on the 6 disk version, which has my name on it) already released on Biograph and previous Bootleg Series sets. I hoped they would, but I feared they wouldn't.....

5. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

You're going to get that reaction with any set this large. That doesn't mean it was a bad decision to release it. They'll most likely sell out of the 5,000 and not care what others think. I understand what you're saying about multiple takes of unheralded songs, but the possible success of the 18cd BS12 could be a catalyst for other mega bob sets. Not all eras, but I think BOTT, Live 1966, Rolling Thunder, Gospel, NET, and maybe even Dylan/Dead would sell 5,000 copies of sets priced $300+ .

6. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

My money is on Blood on the Tracks for the next Bootleg Series.

Apart from that, I'd love a collection that centers around the sessions for John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline.

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I agree, and I think that the Bootleg Series has been expanding in scope ever since the surprise success of Tell Tale Signs. I think we all kind of thought we knew what to expect from the Bootleg Series before 2008 -- double-disc sets of live recordings, occasionally broken up by solid but unadventurous studio sets (BS7, BS9). But BS8: TTS kind of broke the mold, brought it all back home to the original Vol. 1-3 and acted as a sequel of sorts to that set. It did really well, and after dispensing the necessary-but-uninspiring "Witmark Demos" they haven't looked back. BS 10 (Anther Self Portrait) REALLY re-defined what these sets could be, and for the first time a BS set actually REDEEMED a period of Dylan's career, rather than just reinforcing its greatness. The Basement Tapes was a no-brainer, but I suspect that if it was released 10 years ago it would have been 3 CDs max. Now we have the mother of all BS releases -- and although I think it's way larger than it ever would have been without the Copyright situation, I do think Sony's eyes are wide open now about how bottomless our hunger for unreleased Bob is.

crispi, Mike Bass, Mitchum and 3 others like this.
  8. Sean Murdock

Oh man, what I wouldn't pay for an "every recorded second" set for JWH....

9. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

It's a gem of a record :love: Slightly underrated in my opinion. Here are the sessions we would get...

John Wesley Harding sessions
    October 17, 1967
    November 6, 1967
    • Studio A, Columbia Recording Studios, Nashville, Tennessee (6.00pm-9.30pm)
      • "All Along the Watchtower" [Takes 1–3]
      • "All Along the Watchtower" [Insert] [Takes 1–2]
        • Edit of Take 3 and Insert Take 2 – Released on John Wesley Harding
      • "John Wesley Harding" [Takes 1–2] – Take 2 released on John Wesley Harding
      • "As I Went Out One Morning" [Takes 1–5] – Take 5 released on John Wesley Harding
      • "I Pity the Poor Immigrant" [Takes 1–10] – Take 10 released on John Wesley Harding
      • "I Am a Lonesome Hobo" [Takes 1–5] – Take 5 released on John Wesley Harding
    November 29, 1967
    • Studio A, Columbia Recording Studios, Nashville, Tennessee (6.00pm-9.00pm, 9.00pm-12.00pm)
      • "The Wicked Messenger" [Takes unknown] – Take unknown released on John Wesley Harding
      • "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" [Takes unknown] – Take unknown released on John Wesley Harding
      • "Down Along the Cove" [Takes unknown] – Take unknown released on John Wesley Harding
      • "Dear Landlord" [Takes unknown] – Take unknown released on John Wesley Harding

10. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Cool! Looks like this could fit on a standard 2 CD set?

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ill say its gonna be a live set.

12. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I'm just going to sit here and scream at the top of my lungs with unadulterated joy for a few uninterrupted hours now, OK?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

14. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I hope they release New Orleans 1981 one of these days.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont think we will see another sessions BS. At least not to the degree of 12.

16. Sean Murdock

While I agree we may never see the sheer MASS of material released for a set of sessions again -- because this was forced by the copyright issue -- but only YESTERDAY a Dylan source was quoted saying that the team is looking to explore the Blood On The Tracks, Infidels AND Oh Mercy sessions in the future. So, never say never...

17. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Let's hope for Blood On The Tracks to be next!

NightGoatToCairo and masswriter like this.
  18. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I've been patiently waiting.. and if the time comes and its some behemoth set costing hundreds of dollars and I happen to be broke, I'll have to donate an organ just on principle.

Yorick likes this.
  19. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

You kidding??? Murdock has already pre, pre-ordered volumes 13-22! He has:D.

20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm thinking that next year is "clear" to release Blood On The Tracks. The only copyrights they would potentially be concerned over are the 1966 concerts, but I don't think they are gonna do a major retail release for them. Probably just a copyright collection dump. So, a few volumes late, I think we are finally gonna get it.

Probably wouldn't have to be a lot.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I still think 66 will be represented next year. A 4 cd box of 2 well recorded concerts plus a DVD/bluray of Eat The Document with all of the filmed performances.

22. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

I put the 6 disk set in my cart at Amazon, but am having a hard time pulling the trigger. The monster is looking awfully tempting....and it's only $450 more. LOL These aren't even my 3 favorite albums of his, not by a long shot, but the alt takes I've already heard bootlegged over the years -- I've tried to track down all of THOSE, so why not THESE?

So I gotta ask -- anybody in for the big dog yet?

23. Sean Murdock

You're in the wrong thread -- this one is for next year's not-even-rumored-yet BS set -- but yeah, several of us on the BS12 thread have been crazy enough to order "the big dog." Expensive as hell, but also a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be a fly on the wall at EVERY SESSION Bob did during the two biggest years of his career. Hard to even put a price on that opportunity, when you think about it -- but fortunately, I was just barely able to stomach the price Sony DID put on it.

24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I don't know what I'm talking about but I want to play too. (That could actually be my siggy here.)

It's difficult with Dylan to infer from the past to the future but they seem to be moving their attention in the Bootleg Series towards studio material and I'd hypothesise that this is mainly with a view to copyright but also to self-fund the next wave of restoration on the multi-tracks and conversion to digital files. If that's so, then I can only imagine that we'll see more of these studio sets and quite possibly more multi-album sets as well. (Let's face it, if vol. 12 had just been H61R or BOB people would have been almost as ecstatic, so it isn't that they lumped together three albums purely out of commercial considerations.)

If they want to do a group of albums, though, there are various ones coming up in the timeline that don't hang together very well: the obvious next multi-album set would seem to be the born-again trilogy, and they seem less keen on that one. That's what makes Blood On The Tracks stand out as an option. From the little I know it would seem to be the remaining album that is most likely to support a full Bootlegs release.

25. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Luckily the Blood On the Tracks sessions should be less than 100 takes...