Poll: Best Opeth album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Metal MD, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is the best Opeth album and why?

[​IMG]

deredordica and Opeth like this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I picked Damnation as I like it the best but is it the best ? I'd say, no it isn't.

I think the consensus will be Blackwater Park is the best. I'm not terribly fond of that one and, honestly, most of their back catalog has not aged well for me (I can't stand the damn growling vocals anymore). That said, I did like Pale Communion pretty well.

3. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Blackwater Park

Damnation, Deliverance, Ghost Reveries and Pale Communion would round out my top 5.

ModernDayWarrior and Hattipper like this.
  4. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

I chose Still Life because I feel it hangs together better as an album than Blackwater Park, which is my second choice.

5. Lucky

Lucky Member

Blackwater Park

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

1. Pale Communion. I think it perfectly summarizes their brilliance and also points toward hopefully many more great albums in the future.
    2. Ghost Reveries
    3. Deliverance/Damnation (I view these as a single album as the band does)
    4. Heritage
    5. Still Life

Blackwater Park, while undeniably a good album I think is quite overrated, it's not the "watershed moment" (excuse the pun) that most claim it to be, it's just another positive step in their progression which has since been topped by each successive album.

danielbravo likes this.
  7. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

I voted Blackwater Park. To me, it is just well polished, well rounded album. My first Opeth album I've bought so there may be something else there for me.

Ghost Reveries is a close second. Reminds me in many ways of BWP.

Deliverance and Damnation are honerble mentions. Just great stuff.

8. Damnation is the album that got me into them and I love it dearly but I don't consider it the quintessential Opeth album because it doesn't reflect all their 'shades.' For me Blackwater Park is the band at their peak and reflects all their strengths magnificently.

four sticks likes this.
  9. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Oh, yes it is.............:p:D It actually showed me how diverse a band Opeth was. Different vocals etc..... I voted Damnation.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. progrocker71

The diversity was there in Opeth prior to Damnation, you just have to dig for it a little. Also, the progressive rock touches have been there since the very beginning as well.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  11. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

Someone recommended Ghost Reveries to me and I really liked it. From there I tried Blackwater Park and sampled the rest of the back catalog but nothing resonated with me.

12. Sequenzer

Sequenzer Forum Resident

I haven't really liked anything after Ghost Reveries. Still Life for me, closely followed by Deliverance.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  13. Dr. Metal MD

Heritage is the album that got me into Opeth, surprisingly enough. Then, it was Blackwater Park. The harsh vocals took awhile for me to get into, while Mikael's clean vocals are simply stunning. Opeth was an acquired taste for me, but one day it clicked and I started to really enjoy his harsh vocals, too. This is coming from someone who, on the whole, is not a fan of death or black metal style vocals.

14. progrocker71

I'm the same way, I really don't listen to any other bands with harsh vocals, but with Opeth I think it works beautifully. It took me a while to acclimate myself to them, but I loved the music so much (and Mikael's clean voice) that I stuck with it and eventually found myself fully appreciating the juxtapositions it allowed in the arrangements.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  15. old school

old school Senior Member

Blackwater Park with the ultra heavy Watershed a close second.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Blackwater Park but I have to think why it was the first one I thought of.
    Probably due to the brilliant motific developments on the album.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Blackwater Park got me into the band and forever My Arms, Your Hearse was my favorite but it's nearly impossible to pick one favorite.

I really love them all, especially the 2 mentioned and deliverance/damnation and pale communion.
    When Heritage came out I did not get it to be honest, only after PC came out did it click for me and is now one of my favorite all time albums. Probably my favorite band ever besides Maiden.

I also love Mikaels voice in either form, the growls are the only ones I really like as I think they are done with taste and the delivery is stunning. Just listen to Bleak when those vocals come in it's simply crushing and beautiful at the same time. His clean vocals are amazing obviously too.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  18. Dr. Metal MD

They don't have a single bad album. Every record is top quality for me. I love the classic prog direction they are taking.

19. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Been a fan since 2005 and to me Blackwater Park is just a better sounding (produced) version of Still Life. Most people havent heard the re-mastered version of Still Life, but after listening to the re-master of Still Life on vinyl and Blackwater Park (any vinyl version), I just like Still Life so much more, it just plays out perfectly on that format.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  20. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

My girlfriend hated Opeth when we got together 5 years ago because I was always blaring the more dark and angry tracks. I got her to really pay attention to the beautiful parts even in all those songs. Then I pulled out Damnation and she absolutely fell in love, one of her favorite albums all time.

I saw a Gigantour in Tampa one year, pretty big deal for me since opeth, arch enemy with angela played as well as many other bands including Lamb of God and megadeth.
    After Opeth's set Mikael wondered down to the floor where me and my friend stood drinking beers and just came over and said, "HI I'm Mikael, I'm from sweden"
    We just stood there in amazement drinking beers with him and said a few words and just let him chill, I have to say though I was pretty shocked.

hotsoup likes this.
  21. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Heritage. I'm biased, as I'm more a fan of progressive rock than death metal. However, I do like most of the songs on the albums starting with Blackwater Park. One of my favorite tracks is Hex Omega, Ghost of Perdition and The Lotus Eater is also quite dynamic. I must admit I'm more of a clean vocals fan, but certain songs (such as Lotus Eater) really benefit from the clean/growl variation.

I have not heard their earlier work that much, I just cannot get into the growling. At least not now. Maybe it's the way that the vocals appear in the mix, but they just feel very off-putting. However, live it's different, as the Opeth show I caught in 2012 (along with chatting with Ã…kerfeldt and Svalberg backstage) saw the growling vocals used to better effect. I don't know what it was. I felt they were a better part of the overall musical picture that way. Musically and melodically however, I've never had a problem with their heavier stuff. Really competent musicians, interesting hybrid of metal, folk, progressive rock and psychedelia. They're one of the best groups around today.

vinylphile, danielbravo and Opeth like this.
  22. Dr. Metal MD

I just got done listening to Still Life on the re-issued vinyl. Sounded simply stunning despite the channel drop-outs inherent to the recording.

Damnation is a fantastic change of pace for them. Hahaha wow! What an incredible experience. I was fortunate to catch them in Cleveland on a Heritage tour for a meet and greet. Really down to Earth people. It was wonderful meeting them all. Incredible show, too.

As I said earlier, it took me a longgggg time to really get into the growling. The melodic parts, clean singing, and instrumentals kept bringing me back. I began to 'tolerate' the harsh vocals in order to experience all of what I listed. I eventually began to enjoy it as an integral part of the music. I really love their prog rock direction they're taking. Pale Communion sounds phenomenal on vinyl.

vinylphile, Opeth and Rose River Bear like this.
  23. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'm still said I can't see this 25th anniversary show and now no maiden near boston either :(
    Saw opeth last december though.

24. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I remember periods where I could dig pretty much the entire Blackwater Park and Deliverance. It's just been a long, long while since I heard those albums. There are points on the Watershed album where the vocals tend to sound like drain suction or something, but I suppose it's all in the mix. Before Heritage, Opeth's CD's were mixed so loud. I've got a feeling that if the growl vocals had more room to breathe, I could personally dig it. But yes - time is all... I'm definitely warming to the growling more than when I first heard Opeth on a boombox by coincidence ten years ago.

Also, I've completely forgotten about Damnation... Man, that's a good one... With that rainy day guitar solo on Windowpane and everything. Yeah, that's a close call for me. Either Heritage or that one. I've only heard Pale Communion twice or three times, but I really enjoyed it. Need to listen to it more. Seems to melt the prog and the heaviness in a more streamlined fashion.

25. Dr. Metal MD

That sucks! Yeah, I really wish it was financially feasible for me to see one of their 25th anniversary shows, too. I have Maiden within reasonable distance, thankfully.

The CDs don't sound too great. I have all their stuff on vinyl, and it really helps with the soundstage and separation of the vocals. I'd encourage you to check out Pale Communion some more and then try out Ghost Reveries and Still Life some more. Actually, I really like their second album, Morningrise for melody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.