Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Oh yeah!

2. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

According to a Q&A with The Jethro Tull Forum, they do exist, but Wilson never had them because EMI only transferred what they thought was releasable. Among the things transferred there was that run-through take of "Pancake Domesday" which, unfortunately, went unused.

tootull and Daniel Falaschi like this.
  3. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Just announced on the Steven Wilson Remixes Facebook Page, 3 hours ago. Ready your wallets for 27th November, ladies and gentlemen... :)

"Parlophone Records have announced the next in the series of expanded Jethro Tull 40th anniversary sets for release on 27th November, this time for 1976 album "Too Old To Rock’n’Roll: Too Young to Die". “The TV Special Edition" contains my remixes in stereo and 5.1 surround sound. As with the previous three releases in the series, it consists of 2 CDs and 2 DVDs. CD1 contains a 2015 remix of a version of the album re-recorded for a TV special, and remixes of the 5 album multitrack masters that could be located (alas 5 could not). CD2 consists of a complete flat transfer of the original stereo mix, and 8 bonus tracks, 7 of which are 2015 remixes. Among these are 2 previously unheard songs; Salamander’s Ragtime (completely unrelated to album track Salamander), and Commercial Traveller. A further previously announced out-take Advertising Man was ultimately found to be not sufficiently complete to merit inclusion.

DVD1 features the TV special broadcast in full, making it’s commercial debut and with the remixed soundtrack in high res stereo and 5.1 surround sound. The 5 album track remixes are also included in 5.1 surround sound and high resolution stereo. DVD2 features the bonus tracks in high res audio, 4 also in 5.1 surround sound, and flat transfers of the original stereo and quadraphonic mixes.

As with all of the Tull deluxe editions, this is a limited run, presented in a case-bound DVD book that includes an 80-page booklet with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson, plus rare and unseen photographs."

[​IMG]

slipkid, pscreed, Glen Leat and 6 others like this.
  4. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

what do we think the quality of the TV special re-recording will be? Comparable to the album proper?

5. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Could be. I did my usual song & dance routine and everyone seemed happy.

tonewheeltom and Plan9 like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Where's the Jethro Tull album by album thread?

Geir likes this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have been assured, that this time, that my name will be in the credits too. But that's what they keep telling me since 2013. :D

8. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Admittedly, I've only listened to this album a couple of times. But I am curious about these 5 album multi-track masters that were previously unavailable. Are we talking about 5 tracks from the album? Either way it sounds like great news.

9. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

They were not previously unavailable, they are now missing. Because of that only a part of the "real" album could be remixed.
    But there is the complete re-recorded album for the tv show included.

10. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Plan9 or tootull: do you know if the original mix of the TV Special is also included somwhere on the dvds ?

Cheers
    Alex

11. This should be mono, right?

12. Can someone enlighten me as to why the heck they have re-recorded the entire album for a TV "performance"? I never got that part...

13. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

@ParloFax - From an earlier post in this thread (I have no independent knowledge of this info, just passing it along again):

tootull and ParloFax like this.
  14. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

The TV and Radio broadcast UK rules prohibited miming to the studio track, so many bands re-recorded or added live vocals to backing tracks. And even performed live concerts, like the BBC sessions.

Tone_Boss, tootull and ParloFax like this.
  15. I was seeing this coming, and my brains just don't manage it so well...

- How come there are tons of mimed performances to hit singles (Beatles, etc.) on vintage British TV then?

- Why don't just do a live performance of the album instead, I mean as long as you're hanging around with your gear and all?... I suppose the songs didn't have to be played in one entire go anyway. And the arrangements to this particular one are rather sparse too (for Jethro Tull that is)...

16. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

17. Great to read that "The Chequered Flag" is not one of the lost masters. That, along with Salamander, are my album favorites. Salamander not getting remix treatment (well the original recording anyway) is not a great loss because it is a pretty sparse arrangement with little to gain in a remix. I also think Big Dipper has the most to gain from a remix -all IMHO.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

So, this re-recorded album for the TV special. Is this going to be a somewhat live recording?

19. Glen Leat

Glen Leat Well-Known Member

Been on to Burning Shed and given my order. If this is good as the previous remix packages we are in for a treat. £24.99 seems good value especially as Amazon UK has it on for £35.

20. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Hopefully they forgot to add advertising man to the track listing and will add it soon. Unless it is salamander ragtime?

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have only worked on the remixes, so I don't know.

makedatmusic likes this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The TV special was recorded on 16 tracks whereas the studio album was 24 tracks. It sounds a bit rougher, less polished but not drastically so. Some of the performances may actually be better on the TV special.

FVDnz, slipkid, makedatmusic and 2 others like this.
  23. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

For those who haven't seen it, here's the TV special in question:

The picture and sound quality aren't very good here, but you can at least get an idea of how similar/different the rerecorded TV versions of the songs are in comparison to the original album recordings. Seeing as they're including the special on the box set, it will probably look a lot better there (as well as sound better too).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  24. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

5.1 & stereo remixes only.

25. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

I guess the album version has overdubs, while the TV special is essentially a live in a studio one with maybe some flute embellishments here and there, correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.