“The 3” - A bit of a game

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew D. Saur, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I'm not much of an instumentalist to make a judgement but I'll toss these names out

Barry Manilow
    Johnny Cash
    Roy Orbison
    Roger Miller

2. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster Forum Resident

I thought of Ian Anderson in the late 1970s when I saw the question

Galeans likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Why not Ian Anderson in the late 60's/early 70's? He was a much better singer back then IMO.

4. Well, if Macca makes it
    Hendrix is definitely in

5. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I think Thompson's voice is the iffy part of it. It does tend to be an acquired taste.

6. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Good question. You start off thinking it's easy, but then realise most great artists have two of these, but not three, including many suggested on this thread. First ones I though of were Richard Thompson and Nina Simone, but that's probably stretching it a little in one category each.

How about this one though; Leroy Sibbles - lead singer and songwriter for the Heptones whilst also playing bass and leading the Studio One band that played on 100's of great tracks.

Jim B. and zphage like this.
  7. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

...oh, and how about Nick Drake.

SuntoryTime, bagofsoup and Mal like this.
  8. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder was the one that immediately sprung to mind, just incredible. The vocals alone... The songwriting alone... The playing alone...

Really, is there anyone who can top him in "the big 3"?

9. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Aretha Franklin may not be a world-class pianist, but she can bang out a serviceable accompaniment and she's got the other two wrapped up.

Jim B. likes this.
  10. winwood, probably like Wonder a child prodigy famous for his vocals, guitar and piano skills, and later songwriting with Traffic, Blind Faith and solo

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Maybe Brian Wilson at his peak? He might not have been a virtuoso musician, but he was solid on bass and keyboards. Though he generally needed a lyricist to help deliver his best work, he was a world class composer and vocalist.

12. Sly Stone

Jim B. likes this.
  13. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Kate Bush

SuntoryTime and RBtl like this.
  14. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

All I know is that I saw Willie at the Hollywood Bowl in 2006, and I had no idea going in what a fantastic guitarist he was.

Mr. H likes this.
  15. Drew D. Saur

Drew D. Saur Forum Resident Thread Starter

To be honest, it was Stevie that got me thinking about this whole topic about 15 years ago. He is, in my prior discussion, the most universally agreed-upon artist in "The 3."

It's hard to think of someone else who can top him. And he's not even my favorite artist, but I like to think that I know "The 3" when I see it. ;)

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  16. Drew D. Saur

Could his bass or keyboard playing alone have made him world-famous? That is the question...

17. Drew D. Saur

Hendrix...he who hated his own voice. Well, he's a contender, for sure. But ask yourself: could he have had a wildly successful career on his voice alone? Most people who I have discussed this with wind up deciding they agree with the master himself...

18. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

Little Walter Jacobs

Aaron

19. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The Beach Boys are my favorite rock band, but Brian wasn't really "solid" on bass. He plays pretty ineptly, actually, especially live. He only played the instrument live because there was no-one else to do so. Most of the really good bass parts on the studio recordings performed by the boys themselves were performed by Bruce, Al, or Carl. And this is leaving aside the parts contributed by session musicians (not as many as are usually suspected, by the way).

He was a decent keyboardist, but couldn't really solo and would never have shot to fame on that basis alone.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  20. Drew D. Saur

Roy Orbison is one of the 30 on the list that I alluded to in my original post and have wondered about for a long time. Need more feedback for sure.

21. Drew D. Saur

You're correct! That's the point. This is a hard game to play!

jwb1231970 likes this.
  22. Hendrix didn't hate his voice, he was self conscious in the beginning of his career of singing in front of others, tours and recording wore that self consciousness away. His voice is no better or worse than Brian Wilson, Macca, etc.,

23. ....Nick Drake a good shout on Instrumentalist and Song Writing but not sure his vocal abilities make the grade.

In a similar vein John Martyn might be in with a shout and his vocals are maybe an upgrade on Nick's (but of course it is totally subjective).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  24. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix???

25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

If you are using that criteria for all of your artist considerations, I wouldn't agree that Willie Nelson's guitar playing alone would've made him world-famous. And I say that as a fan of Willie Nelson.

I still think David Gilmour's singing, guitar playing, and song-writing all make him world famous though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.