Vinyl Shops in Tokyo, Japan and Japan in General

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mikemoon, Jan 17, 2014.

1. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

hey did you get that Kiss Dynasty 45 at Recofan Shibuya? took a pic of that there, they had alotta cool Kiss 45s...
    SO, apparently you can get tax free if you show your passport when you pay, didnt know this, if you have a Visa card in your passport it wont work...again,
    u need to checkout the 2 records stores in Kokubunji, JR Chuo sen ekimae, cheapest stuff you will find I think

2. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

Which shops will let you have Tax Free? Recofan?
    And what's the names of the stores in Kokobunji? They'll be right on my way while I go to Tachikawa.
    THANKS!

3. MightyVinyl

MightyVinyl Forum Resident

Today Disk Union part one[​IMG]

4. MightyVinyl

Today disc union part two, most of the Bowie is Japanese white label promo [​IMG]

Stump likes this.
  5. MightyVinyl

Today disk union part three, both the Springsteen in the Neil Young albums are Japanese promos
    [​IMG]

6. MightyVinyl

Today, coconuts disks part one, almost all of these items were Japanese promos

[​IMG]

7. MightyVinyl

Today, coconuts disks part two, again almost all items are promos, including my second Kate Bush "the dreaming" Japanese white label promo. My first Kate Bush album and still my all-time favorite, one of my 10 favorite albums of all time, I've always wanted a Japanese promo copy of it, now I have two! Everything here is a white label promo, except for the two depeche mode albums.[​IMG]

8. MightyVinyl

Disc union yesterday part one. A few of the items are mint UK issues, they were priced at ¥100 so I couldn't resist. [​IMG]

9. MightyVinyl

Yesterday disk union part two
    [​IMG]

10. MightyVinyl

Also from yesterday, these were found at Rare Records down the street from the disc union[​IMG]

11. MightyVinyl

OK, tomorrow I'm going to go to Tokyu hands to find pet clothes for my girlfriends dogs and souvenirs, hopefully I can get everything I need there which would then free me up to go to Kokobunji and check out the stores there

12. MightyVinyl

Souvenirs & dog apparel obtained.

On train to Tachikawa DU. Then back to Kokobunji, then Chiba. If time, will also go to Nates and then back to Shibuya for 2nd pass thru DU & Recofan.

Luggage already on the way to airport and Limousine Bus ticket acquired (they pickup right at my hotel).

All that is left is to get a box from DU, pack it tonight, and ship tomorrow before going to airport at noon. All other records either already shipped, or distributed thru my luggage.

I'll do final tally tonight of item count and total spent. Should be around $6,000 total with postage, and over 1,000 items.

13. MightyVinyl

I've been wondering around for half an hour in kokubunji and cannot find a record store. Directions would be helpful. Which side is "front of station" anyway???

14. MightyVinyl

Dang it, I felt like I was on a snipe hunt. Times too valuable; I'm heading in to Shibuya as I discovered Chiba is nearly 2 hours away. If you get a chance clarify/add some directions so other users can make use of this down the road.

15. Johnny Ryall

See my post from yesterday ;)

I'do go all the way west to Tachikawa then south to Machida.
    But again I never visited the other shops. I wouldn't really try Chiba since it's over 1 hour ride and 1600 yen round trip.
    The Omiya and Kitaurawa shops seem to be on the same JR Line so they could be feasible.

16. rcdupre

kokubunji: go to the right when you get off the train and take the Jr exit, go to the south past the dept store, go down the steps and hang a left...walk a few blocks, you'll see a park across the street, hang the left right before the traffic light, orange sign:
    The name of the store:
    Mezurashimonoya
    Get a map, there's another really small one north ekimae....this is the same store as in Tachikawa...again, south exit. And hang a left for a few blocks, the big one is to the right before Family Mart, upstairs, hang a right at the street before family mart...the smaller one is across the street from family mart, hopefully you'll have gotten a map at the kokubunji one

17. MightyVinyl

Thanks guys, I'll have to try to hit Kokubunji on the next trip. Went back to my hotel and dropped off my packages, then went to Shibuya and hit the DU and the Recofan again. Found a few more singles at DU, and then spent 2-1/2 hours going through a bunch of LP bins at Recofan. Ended up buying a ton of more-expensive-than-normal albums, as they had a whole bunch of classic blue note Japanese pressings and some other cool rock stuff, but it was all between ¥1450 up to almost ¥3000. I tried to stick with albums that I know I can resell for a minimum of $50 each.

I'll try to put up some pictures, but I may not have time as I need to complete all the final details before I go to bed, then have to post two boxes home in the morning before I go to the airport at noon.

18. MightyVinyl

Today Recofan Shibuya part one
    [​IMG]

btf1980 likes this.
  19. MightyVinyl

Today, Recofan Shibuya part 2
    [​IMG]

Stump likes this.
  20. MightyVinyl

Today, DU Shibuya. All items were priced either ¥100 or ¥300, including the Sting Japanese promo only single
    [​IMG]

21. MightyVinyl

Today, DU Tachikawa. Very rare Crosby stills Nash and Young single, mega rare Goblin, Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, and James Brown singles, some cool Floyd and Zep singles, and cool Japanese Depeche Mode, New Order, and Rolling Stones albums

[​IMG]

22. MightyVinyl

So that's it folks. I haven't figured out how much the postage tomorrow will be, I have two boxes of albums and one box of single so it'll probably be another $200 for the postage, which I'll have to add to these totals.

Basically, the total count excluding that postage cost to be determined is :

Total spent, $6,370
    7PS singles: 998
    LPs : 321
    CD's: 46
    Programs: 79

Average value per item : $4.41 ea

I think I'm going to have to make this an annual event, I feel like I barely skimmed the surface, and the value of the stuff I'm taking home is staggering. Thank you to everyone who helped out with directions and advice, I couldn't of done it without you.

23. MightyVinyl

I'm back home in Seattle; all the packages I shipped home from Tokyo already arrived yesterday! 6 boxes total. I shipped (3) via SAL, and then (3) on Friday via EMS which was virtually the same price, and the EMS packages arrived 5 days later. Amazing! Customs didn't even question the 3 suitcases and 2 carryon's full of records. I'm getting everything into alphabetical order , then I'll grade them and put them into my database and up on my web site. I already put a couple of items - Neil Young japanese white label promo LP's - up on eBay but I'm asking so much I doubt I'll get any takers. Just sort of curious what the market will bear, they aren't anything I want to part with anyway so I'll probably hold them for a few years.

yookmook likes this.
  24. Johnny Ryall

Good to hear it all got back safe and sound.

This image pretty much sums it all up for me.
    [​IMG]
    Not a single day goes by without thinking about being there

MightyVinyl and Andrew like this.
  25. rcdupre

as an example of way cheap stuff you can get in the out-skirts, just scored the first press Aerosmith - Draw The Line w/ obi and inserts for Y200,
    down the street from me theres a mint Let It Be w/ obi and a Zep IV w/ obi for like $5..plus a bunch of alternate cover Jeff Beck and Janis LPs with obi...I think Im gonna start buying LPs, too bad I dont know how to post pics, took a bunch of
    Beatles 45s and you can see the price stickers, pretty cheap ! my new avatar cost Y100....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015