Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Yes. Amazon and eBay are now the great consolidators of inventory, and I myself found a copy of "Close to You... and More" from an Amazon third-party seller a couple of years ago for not much money.

But I don't think I've ever seen a copy of this disc at a bricks-and-mortar record store. There aren't many of them out there.

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I assume you know the difference between the Walsh (1987) and Norberg (2002) versions. The latter is still in print and easy to find.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Bob Belvedere and Davidmk5 like this.
  4. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Oh, yes, I do. I have scrupulously avoided all Norbergs.

CBackley and Bob F like this.
  5. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Did we also notice, though, that the 1988 Japanese CD and the 1991 Walsh CD have the same catalog number (CDP 7 91209 2) with a "J" added on the Japanese disc? Besides, of course, the unique Japanese catalog number. I just found, by my lucky stars, a copy of the 1989 Japanese All The Way: Hit Collection CD, and its insert shows all of the Japanese Capitol Sinatra discs released up to that point. There were 12 total: 10 mirror the Walsh releases of 1987-1988 (including what is probably the first CD release of Nice 'N' Easy); Where Are You?; and the Hit Collection. I am minorly intrigued by what the Japanese Nice 'N' Easy may be, particularly the title track (which mix/remix), but I suspect it's Larry's first remix from c. 1988.

MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

But notice that the Japanese CD is missing the four bonus tracks of the US issue. The catalog number of the US version was out of sequence with other Sinatra CDs released in 1991, so perhaps it was planned in 1988 but held back by US Capitol?
    I don't think the Japanese Nice 'n' Easy was the first CD release. There were two US CD issues, the first a short-lived 12-track version in 1988, with no bonus tracks or liner notes and a different catalog number (CDP 7 91149 2). However, I believe the Japanese issue (CP28-5778) contained a 13th bonus track ("The Nearness of You"), so it did not mirror the early US CD exactly.

Could you please post the complete list of Japanese Capitol Sinatra discs shown in the All the Way: Hit Collection insert? Did that include catalog numbers?

Simon A likes this.
  7. mahanusafa02

Sorry, poor wording on my part. I was simply speculating that the first Japanese CD release of Nice 'n' Easy was a clone of the first Walsh CD of Nice 'n' Easy, from 1988. This, based on absolutely no research into catalog numbers, tracklists, etc., on my part. Erroneous!

I still haven't figured out how to post pictures (in the insert, the album covers are all very tiny and in b&w anyway), but the insert does list catalog numbers--only, however, the Japanese numbers in the format CPxx-xxxx (I wonder what the discs have on them, since Where Are You disc has both US and Japanese catalog numbers). I'm sure the Japanese catalog numbers are all known here but just to reiterate, with notes and comparisons to the Walsh CD covers, as applicable:

Point Of No Return CP32-5558 (catalog number maybe on bottom right of cover? Too small to tell. Can't see either "Digital Mastering" or the Capitol logo for sure either. Otherwise, strongly resembles Walsh cover, including artist/album/tracklist format.)

Come Dance With Me CP32-5559 (adds Japanese catalog number in top left corner. Otherwise, looks just like Walsh cover.)

Come Fly With Me CP32-5560 (adds Japanese catalog number in top right corner. Can't see Capitol logo anywhere. Otherwise, strongly resembles Walsh cover.)

Songs For Young Lovers CP-32-5561 (that's all I can see on the cover, presumably paired with Swing Easy like the other CD releases. Adds Japanese catalog number in top right corner. Otherwise, looks just like Walsh cover from 1987.)

Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely CP32-5562 (adds Japanese catalog number in top right corner. Can't see Capitol logo anywhere. Otherwise, strongly resembles Walsh cover.)

Sinatra's Swingin' Session CP32-5288 (cannot see "And More" on the cover) (can't see any Japanese catalog number. Looks identical to Walsh cover.)

Close To You (And More) CP32-5289 ("And More" IS on the cover. Can't see any Japanese catalog number. Looks identical to Walsh cover.)

Songs For Swingin' Lovers CP32-5290 (does this release include "Memories of You"? Can't see any Japanese catalog number. Looks identical to Walsh cover.)

In The Wee Small Hours CP32-5291 (small white strip across the top, but blank in the picture; was this for an "abridged" banner similar to the 1987 US release? Otherwise, no catalog numbers, Capitol logo, etc., and otherwise strongly resembles Walsh cover.)

Nice 'n' Easy CP28-5778 (adds Japanese catalog number in bottom right corner. Otherwise, strongly resembles Walsh cover.)

Where Are You CP28-5779 See above for much better pictures.

All The Way: Hit Collection CP25-5776-77. For what it's worth, these discs do not have any alternate catalog numbers on them.

Bob F, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  8. mahanusafa02

Matt, did your Japanese Where Are You disc come with an OBI? All the pictures of that OBI that I've seen have been pretty low-res, so I can't tell if there are additional numbers on there or if it's more Japanese characters.

Simon A likes this.
  9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Hmmm.....I don't recall, and I'm in Huntsville, Texas, today, but I'll try to remember to check when I get home next week.

Simon A likes this.
  10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Please have some BBQ for me! :) You know Nat would want you to.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Ha! I ate at a place called Bubba's BBQ in Ennis, TX, yesterday. Excellent.

McLover, CBackley and Simon A like this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Is this any help?

[​IMG]

DmitriKaramazov and Simon A like this.
  13. mahanusafa02

Thanks, Bob. I've already found that one too (on a Hong Kong auction site, right?). It's still blurry, but I suspect there's only Japanese on there.

It would surely be too much to ask if there are any Sinatraphiles here who know Japanese...but then again, maybe not!

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Thank you for that. So with additional details supplied by the WoW database: Here is a summary list in numerical order of the early Japanese Capitol Sinatra CDs, with corresponding US catalog numbers (plus US release years) [and US track counts]...

CP32-5288 CDP 7 46573 2 (1987) [15] Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!! [and More]
    CP32-5289 CDP 7 46572 2 (1987) [15] Close to You [and More]
    CP32-5290 CDP 7 46570 2 (1987) [15] Songs for Swingin' Lovers!
    CP32-5291 CDP 7 46571 2 (1987) [15] In the Wee Small Hours
    CP32-5558 CDP 7 48334 2 (1987) [16] Point of No Return
    CP32-5559 CDP 7 48468 2 (1987) [16] Come Dance with Me!
    CP32-5560 CDP 7 48469 2 (1987) [15] Come Fly with Me
    CP32-5561 CDP 7 48470 2 (1987) [16] Songs for Young Lovers / Swing Easy!
    CP32-5562 CDP 7 48471 2 (1987) [14] Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely
    CP32-5563 CDP 7 48329 2 (1987) [14] The Sinatra Christmas Album [unlisted above]
    CP28-5778 CDP 7 91149 2 (1988) [12*] Nice 'n' Easy
    CP28-5779 CDP 7 91209 2 (1991) [16†] Where Are You?

*Japan CD has 13 tracks, including "The Nearness of You"
    †Japan CD has 12 tracks, i.e. no bonuses

Note that all of the 1987 (CP32) discs have the same track lists as their US counterparts, and they are assumed to be the same (Larry Walsh) digital masterings. In particular, Songs for Swingin' Lovers! does not have "Memories of You," and In the Wee Small Hours is abridged. Only the two later (CP28) discs have different contents with regard to bonus tracks.

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Note also that all of those CP32 discs came out in Japan AFTER the corresponding US releases. I just came across this post which documents the release dates: —> CP32 Japan Capitol Sinatra CDs.

Where Are You?, with its CP28 catalog number, was a different animal. It came out on CD FIRST in Japan, and the US issue with bonus tracks did not follow for several years.

Bob Belvedere, MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  16. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

The first CD issue I got of "Where Are You" is in the 1992 Concepts woodbox and that's the 1991 Larry Walsh CD with bonus tracks.

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm curious why they only chose that one album from what remained unreleased on CD at that point...

CBackley likes this.
  18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And I've always wondered why the US catalog number was so much out of sequence with the other CDs which went unreleased until 1991. If it's any help to researchers, these are the identifiers for the two "unique" Japanese discs:

EMI Japan cat. no.: CP28-5778 / JAN code: 4988006629899 – Nice 'n' Easy (+1 bonus track)
    EMI Japan cat. no.: CP28-5779 / JAN code: 4988006629905 – Where Are You? (no bonus tracks)

Note: We've been referring to these as 1988 issues, but both were released February 1, 1989.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Off-topic aside: The only Japanese text I recognize is this: フランク・シナトラ

That's "Frank · Sinatra" (spelled phonetically, I believe).

[​IMG]

rxcory, MMM, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  20. mahanusafa02

With the exception of "The Nearness of You," did we determine whether the remainder of that Japanese Nice 'n' Easy the same mix/mastering as the Walsh disc from 1988? Or are we assuming as much at this point? If this was answered already, I'm afraid I lost it in the weeds...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That I can't say. I don't own the Japanese Nice 'n Easy CD, and I don't recall any reports about it. (I don't think it was covered by @MLutthans in his original comparison page, now MIA.) The '91 Walsh CD was a remix from the original 3-tracks, and the earlier '88 CD was the same—EXCEPT for the title track. (See this post: —> Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "Nice 'n' Easy" - 1960.)

Now, since the '89 Japan CD with the extra track came AFTER the first US Walsh version, and was released simultaneously with the Japan Where Are You? (which we know to be mixed differently than its Walsh version), it's entirely conceivable that the Japan Nice 'n' Easy has the original stereo mix and is different than either Walsh (except perhaps for the title track). Is that any clearer than mud? :D

Until someone can actually find one of these, it's anybody's guess.

22. mahanusafa02

I FOUND ONE (Nice 'n' Easy, CP28-5778)!! New/Sealed. On its way from Japan. I'm stoked, just to find out what it is and report back. Stand by!

And quoting @Bob F from 5 years back:

There were also two CP32 compilations in 1988 with no U.S. equivalent:
    CP32 9022 The Frank Sinatra Collection (20 tracks)
    CP32 9026 Best Now (20 tracks)

The former appears to be the equivalent of the 1987 UK CD release. The latter, CP32 9026 Best Now, however, is interesting for a few tracks that stand out because of their uniqueness at the time of release (asterisked by me with my stream of consciousness), whereas the rest can be reasonably traced to a Walsh-mastered US-equivalent CD that had just come out in Japan. The tracklist, courtesy the SFF:

1. Autumn Leaves* (possibly the same as the version on Where Are You CP28-5779)
    2. All Of Me
    3. September Song
    4. It's Only A Paper Moon
    5. April In Paris
    6. Chicago
    7. Everybody Loves Somebody* (NO IDEA where this would have come from--besides a mid-80's digital transfer that would have been part of the c. 1985 Japanese LP release of This Is Sinatra Volume Two. Was that one analogue or digital? Don't want to spread bad info)
    8. I Could Have Danced All Night
    9. I Love Paris
    10. Around The World
    11. My Funny Valentine
    12. Night And Day (since A Swingin' Affair had not yet been released on CD either in Japan or the US, maybe this was the same digital transfer/mastering that appeared on The Frank Sinatra Collection from 1986/87)
    13. South Of The Border
    14. Ebb Tide
    15. Isle Of Capri
    16. All The Way* (potentially the same digital transfer/mastering that appeared on All The Way: Hit Collection CP25-5776-5777; OR the Walsh mastering from the rare 1988 All The Way CD)
    17. Pennies From Heaven
    18. Three Coins In The Fountain* (potentially the same digital transfer/mastering that appeared on All The Way: Hit Collection CP25-5776-5777)
    19. Nice 'n' Easy* (potentially the same digital transfer/mastering that appeared on All The Way: Hit Collection CP25-5776-5777; OR the Walsh mastering from the 1988 NNE CD; OR whatever the 1988 Japanese NNE CP28-5778 CD turns out to be)
    20. From Here To Eternity* (potentially the same digital transfer/mastering that appeared on All The Way: Hit Collection CP25-5776-5777)

Needless to say, I am now on the lookout for this Best Now CD. Again, it would be helpful if I could read Japanese...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Bob F and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  23. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Last weekend I picked up a "Jazz Heritage" version of this album. I believe it shares the same mastering as the Walsh CD. It definitely predates the Nordberg mastering at any rate. As I understand it, the JH masterings almost always correspond to the main CDs that were in print at the time of their manufacturing (similar to Columbia House or BMG), which in this case would have been the Walsh. I haven't had the chance to play it on my main system yet though.

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, it's the same disc as the 1991 Capitol Walsh CD (as discussed earlier in this thread).

See also: —> Sinatra CDs on Jazz Heritage label?

McLover and profholt82 like this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Here's another, this one from the new book Sinatra: The Photographs, by Andrew Howick and promoted by Barbara Sinatra (p. 63):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015