Are Klipsch speakers really that bright?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerryb, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonesfan

stonesfan New Member

The only time I find them too bright is when I am listening to the odd poorly made Japanese pressing

2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

My 2 cents: I have LaScalas which with new cross-overs don't seem bright to me-detailed, lively and dynamic -yes. I have a pair Heresy II which are original-somewhat rough but not bright to me. A friend has a pair of corner horns which have been "upgraded" and seem very bright to me with the Sansui amp he is using. I have heard some of the recent Klipsch floor standees-circa 10 or so years ago-don't know models-seemed very bright and thin sounding to me in the store with AV receivers-prob Sony. I use my Lascalas with Denon anniversary amp, vintage Sansui and Marantz receivers( not tubed) and Quicksilver and Jolida tube amps as desired. I really can't say that any of those combinations had produced overly bright results. Maybe I'm deaf or in sufficiently attentive to audiophile listening but I have heard brightness before as stated herein above. So as in everything let your choices be your choices and not someone else's.

3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Question to those who have Heresys: What kind of tube amp do you recommend?

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Question : apart from the poster who owns and loves a pair of modern F30s and myself, same situation with F20s; does anyone else think Klipsch models other than those classic designs that are still in production you mention (La Scalas etc) are any good ?

5. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Fisher 400c or 500B/C.

fishcane and russk like this.
  6. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

It's the 3-way designs that are most desired. So in addition to the LaScalas, Hereseys, K-horns and Corwalls, you can also look out for Chorus, Fortes, KLF series and others. If you have a massive amount of space you can also look out for the Belles and Jubilees from the professional line.

McLover likes this.
  7. russk

russk Forum Resident

I've heard the RF-7 and they were really nice. I prefer Cornwalls just a bit and they are easier to place in a room but I have to say the RF-7 was really nice. Chorus 2s are fantastic sounding and I'd be hard pressed to decide between them and the Cornwalls

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. russk

russk Forum Resident

I second the Fisher and will include H.H. Scott gear. Fisher and Scott with Klipsch are a fantastic match

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Scott 299b and Chorus 1's in my house and as I've mentioned before, with updated Bob Crites crossovers and new diaphrams, it really is studio worthy playback, to my ears!

russk likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Chorus 1 here driven by a McIntosh MA 5100 (both sound great together)

Bill Why Man, russk and Chris C like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This.

SandAndGlass, jfine, OC Zed and 3 others like this.
  12. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

I have a pair of R-51M speakers, and I can say that at times they sound harsh around maybe 5-10K or something like that? It's that or between 3-6K. I've not sat down to listen to them for that alone. I just turn the treble to -1 on some harsher stuff and roll on. Very detailed and musical speakers, though.

13. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

It’s too bad you didn’t get the chance to live with them and experience their attributes at home over time. Your opinions would have been really valuable.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I know, I wanted to but just not possible. And I know of no one locally who has a pair..

Khorn likes this.
  15. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Be nice if they’d send a pair of the new ones for your evaluation.

16. CatManDude

CatManDude Forum Existent

I have a pair of 1980 Heresy's that I'm driving with a 1968 McIntosh MC240 tube amp. To me, they sound sublime when playing a good quality recording. I definitely agree that Klipsch pairs particularly well with tubes.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should add that I did recap my Heresy's with new caps from Bob Crites.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I've yet to hear a set of Klipsch that didn't sound bright. Some aggressively so.

However, I heard that the guy who designs their new stuff is trying to slowly reverse course, and to eventually make speakers than can be used with budget solid-state amps (the RP600's, perhaps?) without causing ear bleeding.

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

On the outside possibility someone doesn’t already know this....

Klipsch makes a lot of speakers. They are but one brand owned and managed by Voxx international, the vast majority of what they sell are for home theatre and are made in China. They are insufferably bright. Love the PKW designs built in Hope but it is a brand that prides itself on being loud with a following a bit like Harley Davison. They have marketing materials that say “pissing off the neighbors for 70 years”. Running their 106 db sensitive speakers with 300 wpc amps is a badge of honor for many owners. They call it “headroom”.

so bright? Yes, it’s a real possibility.

I have old Cornwall’s with a MAC 4100, I don’t find it bright in the slightest and can listen to it all day long without fatigue. Choose the wrong amp and that will change quickly.

cporcp, CatManDude, bhazen and 3 others like this.
  19. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I’m the original owner of a pair of KG4. Never had them updated, re-capped or anything else. They still sound great to me but I’m probably missing a lot. Should probably upgrade to a tube amp from my solid state one to see if there’s an improvement. I’m so ashamed... I can’t call myself an audiophile.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The KG series, which are similar in nature to the Forte's, are not really part of the original pre 1970's heritage speakers, that were designed to run with tube amps.

While they are sensitive, they, like a lot of power and play well with SS amps.

The Pinhead and Johnny Action like this.
  21. JCMusika

JCMusika Well-Known Member

I have heard of RP-600m with Decware gear. Very nice!. I believe it has synergy between the two.
    On the other hand, I did not like the synergy between same speakers with Rotel

bhazen likes this.
  22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I understood that some of their models with the horn tweeter, around the time of the RF81 and 82 models, were reportedly pretty brash and less suitable for more subtle music.

That said, as with all things audio, partnered with the right gear, I'm sure they'd shine.

Been through too many products over the years and generally there's a decent match for most things.

23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Their more recent offerings sound bright to me( other than the legacy offerings). My Lascalas don’t sound bright and my Heresy speakers sounded aggressive and raw but not bright. I am not saying you are incorrect but I am saying I do not hear the brightness in the vintage speakers I have experienced. In fact, I have recently moved my system into a much larger room which allows me to listen about 18 feet away from the Lascalas. This position really allows more balance in the sound. I have carpeting rather than bare floor also. I sold my last pair of Heresys when I acquired the LaScala speakers.

bhazen and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. The Pinhead

Slight bump at 4 khz on most modern Klipsch speakers.

25. The Pinhead

Peachy, but shouldn't new Legacys be adjusted to how newer solid states/CDs sound nowadays ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.