"Supergirl" on CBS (now on The CW)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think I'm with you on this. I liked Daredevil more than any of them this year, and Gotham is right behind it. The Flash is OK in kind of a mindless way, and I sometimes watch S.H.I.E.L.D. but the rest I can pass on. I also liked Agent Carter quite a bit, if you can call that a superhero show.

2. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I liked it ok, and I'll watch it again. I did like that there is a sweetness to her, instead of Henry Cavil's angst ridden portrayal.
    I don't like Superman being Kurt Cobain or Eddie Vedder.

yesstiles and Vidiot like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree -- the actress seems very earnest and sincere.

4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I like gotham but that is about it all the DC tv programs look a feel like soaps

Mazzy likes this.
  5. Totally agree. They go for the lowest common denominator

fitzysbuna and Deesky like this.
  6. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Here's why I enjoyed the show:

For years, DC & Marvel have been reluctant to have a female lead as a hero. DC often claimed there was no market for it.
    Finally, there's one on TV. It's refreshing to have a strong, female lead character in an action show.
    I think it's great to have a positive role model for girls.

As for the writing: is it "heavy"? No. I see that as a positive.
    This is about the only superhero-action show you can watch with pre-teens.

I can easily watch this show with any of my nieces and nephews. I like that kids growing up today can see a kid-friendly super-hero show on network television.
    When you consider that we haven't had one with a female lead since Wonder Woman in the 1970s, it's long over-due.

7. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Really liked the show. It looked good. They had to cover a lot of ground in the pilot and for me they pulled it off.

8. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

It wasn't bad at all for the first episode. At least it got into action right away and not some long drawn out until the fourth episode of soap opera drama of "why do i have these powers", "what am I do do with them" blah, blah. I'm giving it a chance cause I like seeing a bad a** woman kicking butt. I also like the superhero tv shows like Agent Carter, Agents of Shield and Gotham. I tried giving Arrow and The Flash my time and concentration, but CW production and the way they portray their lead characters doesn't grab me.

9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

If they follow the comic book then she is Superman's cousin (their fathers were brothers).

10. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

This one is clearly made for kids. I got a Lizzie McGuire vibe out of the whole thing.

I never cottoned onto Daredevil, which I thought was pretentious (only got through three eps before giving up on it), but SHIELD, on the other hand, has gotten sensational. A couple of episodes this season weren't great, but last week's episode was one of their best ever, with a kind of Outer Limits feel.

Tree of Life and jriems like this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I downloaded the pilot months ago and my wife and enjoyed it to bits. We are hooked and plan to continue watching.

12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The pilot is on again tonight. I think I will record it and give it a chance.

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Doesn't look good to me :cheers:

bababooey likes this.
  14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Watched it and I fell asleep. It was silly. Now if they aim this 90% towards kids then maybe.

bababooey likes this.
  15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yeah, and she has large breasts!!!

16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I saw parts of the first episode. It seemed okay. I will record the rest on demand.

I doubt CBS is trying to get 20 million viewers that are only kids. Seems like a formula for doom.

17. I agree. That's a complaint my daughter has about most of the projects. The exception was Wonder Woman and that was forty years afo.

18. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I enjoyed the Supergirl pilot, but there's something I'd like to know. When, and how, did Supergirl get pierced ears?

Rfreeman likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh. Uh... maybe she got them when she was 12 and non-super on the planet Krypton before they sent her to Earth? :sigh:

20. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I very much liked the Supergirl pilot & plan to watch every episode. I love that they are not having her hide her abilities too!

Tree of Life likes this.
  21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Well why would they hide those? Kinda the point of her.

22. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Oops! I meant to say "her identity" too. In Superman, Clark Kent chose to hide his identity & displayed his abilities only as Superman. In this Supergirl show, Kara's identity & abilities are known (so far) by her sister, her coworker Winn Schott & James Olsen. I like that.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Everytime I see a new photo of Meryl Streep, I'm amazed at how good she looks. Natural, too.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

It is also possible that she got them pierced on Earth soon after her arrival. Post "Crisis On Infinite Earths" a kryptonian's powers slowly develop on Earth as they absorb yellow sun radiation. Clark Kent didn't develop significant powers until he was in his early teens (as a child he broke his arm, although he eventually was able to survive being run over by a bull without injury), and he wasn't able to fly until he was in his late teens. In the same way, Kara should have no powers when she arrived on Earth, but they would slowly develop as she absorbs solar energy.

25. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I thought the pilot was ok. They threw a lot of things at us in that hour. Hopefully they develop some good story lines without constantly referring to "Hey, look it's a girl this time!".