New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

2. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Star Trek is suited PERFECTLY as a TV series......AND a film franchise.....:love:

No need to choose between them at all..........:confused: :sigh:

Just keep 'em comin'...........nice and regular like..:agree: :righton: :wave:

melstapler, CrazyCatz, Uther and 3 others like this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Great. This seems like a re-run of TNG, which went straight to independent stations and since I had no affiliate, I couldn't watch it for several years. Now it's going to be on a pay channel that I'm not going to pay $5.99 a month for. Oh well. I'm not terribly optimistic for the prospects of a new Trek series anyway.

Texastoyz likes this.
  5. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Well, you pay $10 for 2 hours of Star Trek in theaters...what's wrong with paying (guessing here) $30 for 15 hours?

6. dkmonroe

There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just not going to do it. I can't just keep adding monthly expenses for entertainment. It adds up. That'd be almost as much as I pay a month for Netflix, and I'd be doing it only for 1 show. I'll have to wait until it can be seen some other way, like DVD or Netflix 3 years after it's released. :laugh:

Rachael Bee and seed_drill like this.
  7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Kurtzman. I am already out.

The_Windmill, Meng and jtiner like this.
  8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I think it's cool but we know what happens when they go cheap on a series like this. They have to spend to make it look great and work at least for me.

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Money spent to make it right is the difference.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Everything after TNG was pretty lame and it even took TNG a good three seasons to actually get watchable. Aren't 5 TV series enough of this stuff?

Rhett likes this.
  11. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

I would set the series in the decades after ST:TNG...so TNG cast members can make guest appearances.

Or...set in the same time period of the original series so chis pine, etc can guest

12. balzac

balzac Senior Member

There are hundreds of cable channels and they can't put this show on one of those? I get it, they're trying to push people to this "All Access" service. But I simply can't justify paying for yet *another* streaming subscription. Already have Netflix and Amazon Prime (had Hulu a couple time for free trials), and I just can't justify buying another entire streaming subscription for one show.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  13. Welcome to the new norm. Maybe by 2007 you'l have an Apple TV or Roku or something similar. All networks will have their own apps by then and I am sure this will be on one that has other shows. You'll probably be able to buy it within a package or a la carte.

14. As long as Scott Bakula is far far away from any of it........ I couldn't watch that series. All the others I loved except that one? :tiphat:

sunspot42, Linger63 and sportzdad like this.
  15. His shows are Terrible!

16. dkmonroe

I've got a Roku and I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, which, along with cable, gives me more programming than I can possibly watch. But heck, I ain't gonna pay $5.99 a month for a new Star Trek series unless it's Outlander meets GOT in outer space or Helen of Troy with her a$$ on fire (to quote another favorite series :laugh:).

17. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

Just be glad they didn't give it to Michael Bay or Dean Devlin/Roland Emmerich to mess up.

18. I like Bryan Singer's take on a Trek series. That I would pay to watch.

19. The last two seasons were pretty good--actually the final season was exceptional. Scott had nothing to do with writing/direction. It took a couple of years to find its legs.

BZync, gd0, Meng and 4 others like this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Too bad they didn't give it to Netflix, in which I'd have a lot more confidence to do justice to this venerable franchise. I'm interested, of course, but I fear a superficial treatment of ideas with shiny sets and lots of shoot-em-ups.

chrischerm and dkmonroe like this.
  21. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

The CBS access app is terrible...I dropped it quickly. You pay $6/ month, and it's loaded and loaded with commercials. And episode of Letterman had almost 45 commercials, some shows worse. It was worse than Hulu.

bmasters9 and Grant like this.
  22. Seems to me that at $6 a month you'd only pay $1.50 per episode fir a show line Trek. That's cheap. I'm sure line Hulu they will offer a non commercial version for a bit more.

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Kurtzman is bad news.

24. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Fingers crossed that this will be good. I will show patience and buy the DVD when it comes out.