Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Yes, my list is as per the Mojo feature. It doesnt list who suggested it.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Financially its a winner so can see this being a release every fall for the forseeable future.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

You need to watch No Direction Home again. More than half (maybe even 3/4) of Bootleg Series 7 is never heard in the entire, 3 1/2 hour film.

It feels like a waste because a lot of it had been released elsewhere, and now with the upcoming Cutting Edge release, an overwhelming majority will be. What hasn't been issued (notably the concert material from 1963) really ought to be released in their entirety, they're definitive shows from that era, moreso than Live 1964's Philharmonic release.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    George P likes this.
  4. wanderer1

wanderer1 Forum Resident

Hopefully they include the Plugz sessions on the Infidels set, including the Letterman show.
    Also, a GE Smith era Bootleg Series set of live tracks would be nice at some point.
    And Bob's version of "Love Rescue Me" if there really is one might be kind of cool on some kind of mid-80s hidden gems package, of which there are many.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

One very, very obscure item on my Dylan want list: the unreleased 1961 studio take(s) of Ramblin' Round, from the sessions for his first album. They gave us versions of He Was A Friend of Mine, Man On the Street, and House Carpenter on Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3 -- what happened to Ramblin' Round?

Also, what about the alternate takes from those sessions? They weren't on the 50th Anniversary Copyright Extension set, which covered only 1962. Did I miss something, or did I read somewhere that some of the 1961 master reels were damaged?

Not a subject of interest to many folks, I know, but I thought I'd plant it here.

DeeThomaz and Sean Murdock like this.
  6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The 1961 recordings were "unextendable". The law wasn't changed until after all 1961 recordings, released or otherwise, had passed into the public domain in the EU. So there was no motivation for releasing the '61 studio material (quite the opposite in fact, since the recordings would have instantly gone into the public domain).

7. HominyRhodes

Will we ever hear them, in your opinion?

8. RayS

I really wouldn't hold my breath on the '61 stuff. At least with the '62 stuff they extended the copyright for 70 years and could put something together for wider release 10 or 20 years from now. The first album stuff (looks like there's a handful of alternate takes which are complete, on top of the two takes of "Ramblin' 'Round") are instant PD fodder in the EU the second they hit the street - seems like that alone would keep them buried in the vault. On the other hand, if those "backup" first album session tapes that were auctioned off are what they purport to be, and they are comprehensive, than the owner could legally release them tomorrow.

9. HominyRhodes

Once again, you've told me absolutely everything that I wanted to know. Be forewarned -- I'm holding you to a higher and higher standard with each passing day.

Thanks.

10. RayS

Like Ze Anonym Plattenspieler (ZAP Records), I strive for a high standard of standardness. :)

HominyRhodes likes this.
  11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I love the 1961 stuff, but as RayS said above, anything that got released at this point would instantly be PD, so that might stifle any desire to release it. But then again, the first album is also in Public Domain, and they aren't going to stop selling THAT...

HominyRhodes likes this.
  12. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

They really need to include the complete Renaldo and Clara film in any Rolling Thunder Revue release. It was leaked a few years ago that they had been working on restoring it for DVD, but nothing since.

13. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Yes please. I've read many of the poor reviews but I'd still love to have an official version.

14. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

They suggested recently that a possible future Bootleg series release would be Coffee House set. Does anyone have any thoughts about what known recordings this might include?

15. Sean Murdock

Who knows what they have in the vault, but if "coffeehouse" is just code for "really early live Bob" then it wouldn't have to be elaborate to be a great Bootleg Series set. A disc of the complete Gaslight 1962 tape, a disc of the complete Finjan Club, and a disc of the Folksingers Choice radio show would be very satisfying -- and all of them sound really good considering the sources. I'd also love the complete "Minneapolis Hotel" tape too, but that is in Public Domain now and they might not want to do it.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  16. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I would go along with all of those. I would also be interested in a set that pulled together all the outakes from the first 4 albums so they all in one collection. Perhaps also add some of the Broadside tracks.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  17. Sean Murdock

Bink likes this.
  18. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

I wonder if there's any buried Dylan / Cash material. I doubt it, but we can live in hope :righton:

19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have been thinking about what a Gospel deluxe set might look like. Assuming it would be a 6cd set I would be happy with 3 discs of live material from various shows between 1979 and 1981 and 3 discs of studio / Rundown material. Maybe they could also include a DVD of the Toronto show from April 1980.

20. Sean Murdock

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

jamiesjamies, redsock and Bink like this.
  21. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

If they do a coffeehouse edition of the bootleg series I could see this being a march or april release instead of one directed at the holiday season -- leaving Oct/Nov/Dec open for a new Dylan album or a more enticing edition of the series that would draw more eyes (and dollars).

Sean Murdock likes this.
  22. beneta

beneta Well-Known Member

Sure, but its only public domain in the EU. There's still the rest of the world to make sales . I doubt they'll make a series solely on '61 but if a release comes with a lot for the early stuff within 10-20 years I wouldn't be surprised if there was stuff from the first album sessions on it.

23. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I for one would love to see the 80's albums like Empire Burlesque given the Self Portrait re-mix treatment and have these decent songs rescued

24. tomstockman

tomstockman Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear that mid-80s session where Dylan is backed by Al Green's sessions band. Has that ever been put out anywhere?

George P likes this.
  25. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I agree. Mostly great songs ruined by 80s production. There's a great bootleg of the Empire sessions that does most of them justice. Tempest Storm, I believe.