Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Manimal, Karnak and Mark E. Moon. like this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Dream 1: Crucifiers by Greg Hildebrandt.

[​IMG]

Tuco, MoonPool, JonMcK and 2 others like this.
  3. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I don't know the name of my favorite painting. :(

I was at a showing of art by William S. Burroughs here in Kansas City. (Burroughs had settled in Lawrence, Kansas by this time.) There was one painting that is still fascinating to recall.

It consisted of a white background with black paint (or maybe ink) sort of swirled with a brush. (That is what it looked like to me, anyway.) If I would have just looked at it while strolling by, it would not have made much of an impression on me. It probably would have looked like a mildly pleasing abstract image.

But I stopped and looked at it for a while. Wow! The swirls/strokes would cause my mind to form highly detailed scenes within them. I don't know how to describe this. The amount of detail was incredible. The longer I looked at a given spot on the painting the more details would be revealed. Just more and more and more... When I moved onto another spot on the painting, the same thing would happen with different scenes and details. And so on. I spent about an hour experiencing this.

Then I moved on and looked at other works. There was some art on sale, all shotgun art (plywood panels that had spray paint cans placed in front of them and the cans and plywood had been shot with a shotgun). These looked like his rejects to me. I had seen some that were interesting at an earlier time but not these. (I had read that Burroughs felt that his shotgun art, through the randomly exposed wood and the randomly applied paint were supposed to have the effect that the black and white painting had on me.)

I went back to the black and white painting and experienced the same sort of effect that I had seen before. I wanted that painting so bad. I asked the fellow in charge of the gallery if it was for sale. He said that Burroughs may show up the next day and I could ask him if he showed up. He mentioned that they took credit cards. He said Burroughs had been there a few days ago and seemed very sick, so don't count on him showing up.

I had just bought a new car, a house and upgraded my stereo that year. I was tapped out. I was scared that if Burroughs was willing to sell I might max out my credit card if that would do it. I thought a lot about it and decided to not go back.

I searched books for this painting and later the internet. No luck. I would love to have a print of that painting. (I wish I had made more effort and done what ever it took financially, within reason, to try to buy that painting. I would have recovered and would now own the painting.)

If anyone is maybe familiar with this painting, I would appreciate any information.

4. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

puts me in mind of the cabinet of dr caligari!

Standoffish and smilin ed like this.
  5. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Albrecht Durer's painting of a hare. I thought it was brilliant the moment I first saw it, and nothing has changed my opinion.

[​IMG]

Binni, Manimal, tvstrategies and 6 others like this.
  6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I just got back from London. That would have been nice to see. We spent a day and a half at the Museum of London.

smilin ed likes this.
  8. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

i really don't know anything about art......but joe coleman fascinates me, even bought his book...superdetailed paintings of the macabre
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

another modern artist i like is daniel johnston
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tuco, Manimal and ruben lopez like this.
  9. JL7

JL7 Forum Resident

Goya's Witches' Sabbath
    [​IMG]

ruben lopez likes this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

zobalob likes this.
  11. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I have always been fascinated by the works of Mondrian

[​IMG]

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Not a painting this time, but a rather strange series of 3D objects that worship at the feet of Bill Murray. I figure if you have to have some ind of cargo cultish figure, it might as well be Bill. Or Jeff Bridges...
    [​IMG]
    Since this is practically on my doorstep, I have no excuse for not seeing it...

Review and exhibition blurb (and more pictures) here: http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/bill-murray-at-baltic-gateshead.html

And that's a hell of a jacket Bill's wearing in the Cannes shot.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    redmetalmoose and zobalob like this.
  13. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Lol....love your posts...keep it up...let us know what you think of the exhibit, from what you've put up on your site it looks like a lot of fun with a serious edge.

smilin ed likes this.
  14. Boy oh boy there are so many fantastic paintings. I want to interject a different flair, just for fun.
    [​IMG]
    The above is a painting by Nicholas Watts. The image is John Surtees driving a Ferrari 158, exiting the Adenau Bridge at the Nurburgring, 1964.
    [​IMG]
    The above is a painting by Alfredo De La Maria called "Monaco Magic"
    [​IMG]
    This last painting is by Tom Fritz and is titled, "one two"

Manimal, EdgardV, ruben lopez and 2 others like this.
  15. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Manimal, MoonPool, EdgardV and 3 others like this.
  16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Just posted this in another thread but it's probably more relevant here:

Not quite in the same manner and a little more academic, but this is worth a view (if you can access it outside the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06ryn6l/secrets-of-the-mona-lisa

I imagine his "findings!" (and bear in mind the presenter is an established and serious art critic) haven't gone down well in some quarters

The Mona Lisa: bewitching, seductive, world famous. In the minds of millions, she is the ultimate work of art. Yet behind the enigmatic smile, she remains a mystery, fuelling endless speculation and theories.

But is that all about to change? Is the world's most famous painting finally giving up its secrets?

Presented by Andrew Graham-Dixon, this landmark film uses new evidence to investigate the truth behind her identity and where she lived. It decodes centuries-old documents and uses state-of-the-art technology that could unlock the long-hidden truths of history's most iconic work of art.

[​IMG]

Tuco, EdgardV and zobalob like this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

19. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

A mate sent me this. Grace Slick has it on her Facebook page. Her homage to Bowie, 'Goodbye Ziggy'. Got to say, I don't hate it. I'm still in mourning too but I'm fairly sure I would have been drawn to it even if I hadn't known the subject matter. Ethereal & calming. Probably more Eno than Bowie, actually...

[​IMG]

Manimal and strummer101 like this.
  20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Tuco, Manimal, EdgardV and 1 other person like this.
  21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

22. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Viewing both Waterhouse -&- Alma Tadema up close -be still my heart- would be a religious experience for me as well.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Tuco, GuildX700, Manimal and 3 others like this.
  24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Another one of my favorites. "Behemoth's world" by Richard Clifton-Dey.

[​IMG]

Tuco and Manimal like this.
  25. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I like a lot of Rene Magritte's work and he would have to be my favorite artist with an exceptional body of work. I've always been very fond of this painting in a local art gallery in Edinburgh:
    [​IMG]
    The Fair Isle Jumper by Stanley Cursiter (1923)

Tuco, Manimal, EdgardV and 1 other person like this.