"Supergirl" on CBS (now on The CW)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 27, 2015.

1. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

The show had garnered some decent ratings for CBS, but that was the first week, we'll see over time how that stands up...

2. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I really want to like this show. The lead is super cute and likeable. But so far the whole show has this generic CW-esque gloss to it that makes it feel like every other superhero/supernatural show on TV today. The writing is mediocre and the villains are boring. I had the same let-down when I tried to get into The Flash last year. Maybe my expectations are too high. I will give Supergirl another chance or two.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I see. Clearly I don't have a great command of the overall "Super" mythos.

My personal solution was that she faked it with some light machining on earware and, naturally, a few dabs of superglue.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't buy this BS of changing the Superman legend. These retro explanations always bugged the hell out of me. I think the story as written in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, and even a bit of the 1970s generally made sense. After that, it all went to hell. Smallville was particularly stupid.

And all the Kryptonian supervillains. Makes you wonder why they don't immediately expose her.

5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I finally watched the pilot. I liked it enough. I do wonder how they can keep it interesting through one season let alone multiple seasons? At this rate everyone will know her identity in a few weeks and so that part of the show will be less interesting and all that will be left is her increasing her powers and the villians becoming more threatening. So, I figure I will bail on it at some point but I recorded Episode 2 so I'm in for at least one more.

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I missed half of last nights ep. I wouldn't call it a brilliant TV series by any means but it's entertaining enough. I can usually get along with some TV shows that aren't that good as long as the "bad" is the right type of not good. :)

It's not a must watch but if I'm home and feel like watching some TV I'll put it on.

Agree with tonyc re: how they can keep it interesting.

7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It's not bad so far. I've never seen Smallville and watched very little of Lois and Clark so I've nothing modern to compare it to.

I hope when the day comes that Superman appears on the show they CGI George Reeves :)

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I enjoyed the 2nd episode more than the pilot. We've now stepped back to the "learning how to be a super hero" line which is ok. There's no sense of mystery so far, and it feels like SG will just be fighting one supervillain after another until she squares off with Auntie in the winner take all battle. We will probably get some diversion episodes here and there like Kara falls in love, someone is kidnapped by non-Kryptonian, and the obligatory Christmas show.

Keith V likes this.
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Fun show to watch.

10. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

I've watched both episodes. It's a C or C+ so far for me.

My only real exposure to Superman is the 70s Super Friends cartoons and the Christopher Reeves I, II & III so my lore is a little shaky. There are some things that bother me in the show (particularly episode two).

1) In this last episode, Kara's aunt got a kryptonite blade in her leg but was still able to fly away still lodged in. I thought kryptonite weakened supers even if they were in close proximity. In fact, the aunt, after the blade was taken out told the guy to take it away because she could still feel or sense it. Why didn't she notice it when she was attacking the government guy who eventually stuck it into her? Maybe it was shielded somehow?

2) Kara used her superhearing to locate her sister in a warehouse. The way they edited the scenes it looked like she was hearing the conversation between her sister and her aunt yet when she got there she was surprised that her aunt was alive. I also don't know how she was able to tell the government people the exact intersection address and that it was a warehouse even. She reported this information and then sped off so it looked like she was quite a distance away from it.

3) The last one: Why does Kara wear glasses? Even before she decided to don the Supergirl outfit she was wearing glasses. Now when she's in Supergirl guise she doesn't. If they're now part of her disguise what were the point of the glasses before? Just an accessory?

Things I do like: Her friends know about her double life so that takes away the painful "I just can't tell you" conversations; that her sister relationship seems strong; that she remembers life before Earth.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm an ol' skool Superman fanatic (my yellow lab has an S medallion hanging from his collar! I won't embarrass myself any further by telling you about other super-stuff I've got!;)). That said, I thought I was gonna bail after the 2nd episode, thinking the show to be a bit too juvenile for my tastes, but....I liked it! I agree that the 2nd episode was better than the 1st. Coupla things, it's weird how although they decided to totally transform the Jimmy Olsen character, they still basically kept the original character (the white guy) but gave him a new name (can't remember it!). Enjoying the little cookies they've placed for us ol' timers; like National City (DC was originally called National comics), and the refinery the action was taking place at was called Plastino Plastics. Al Plastino was one of the original artists that co-created the Supergirl character in the 50's! To all the folks thinking that Supergirl's (and Superman's, for that matter) secret identity should be plain to see (especially when Cat Grant's wall behind her desk is plastered with close-ups!). This was something I often thought when I was a kid but than a quasi-explanation was thrown out there that kinda/sorta made sense (as much sense as can be made when talking about people in tights and capes flying!) was that the world at large thinks that the supers are the supers ALL the time (this was lightly touched upon in the last episode), thus the idea of a secret identity isn't within their frame of reference. It's weak I know, but hey, we're talkin' superheroes here!;)

musicalbeds, Jamey K and Keith V like this.
  12. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I watched a few minutes of the pilot, but decided not to invest any of my time in this series.

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Regarding the friends knowing her identity -- they're following the Flash and Arrow template where the hero isn't a lone wolf but instead has a team of support people making frantic calculations on computers and shouting directions in her ear. Jeremy Jordan (the gay best friend who apparently isn't gay) had a moment in the last episode where he completely turned into Flash's Cisco.

14. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I think the thing I am struggling with the most is comparing Supergirl to Flash and Arrow. SG is not trying to be like those other two shows
    LOL I think there's always been an inconsistent ratio of kryptonite to weakness in the DC universe. Sometimes it's just a small piece but "oh...can't...move...weaker.... weaker!" and next time it's a large chunk but "That kryptonite is draining my power but... <ZAP!> <BOOM!> <POW!>" no problem.

Lead will prevent the effects of kryptonite.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

16. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I set up a Season Pass. I'm in.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It sure looks that way to me (well, The Flash anyway). They're not on the same network but it's the same guy producing all three shows.

18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Supergirl has a significantly larger budget to play with than either Arrow or The Flash, the location shooting in Los Angeles sets it apart from those Canadian produced shows as well. I was happy to see the 6th street bridge utilized in the second episode, it will be demolished in January.

The show is okay so far, I feel like they haven't completely nailed the tone right out of the gate but that will usually evolve over the first half-season of a new series. The most important element is already in place, Melissa Benoist.

19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

No thanks, a show that offers no real new worthwhile viewing.

Just another time waster. :shrug:

Deesky, Drew and Scott222C like this.
  20. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I just watched the second show & I really like it! Maybe it's because I'm enjoying it as a new show & have no expectations other than to be entertained. Melissa Benoist is doing a real good job as Supergirl & I love the idea that she talks as she flies. I am hooked!:thumbsup:

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great choice CBS made with Melissa.

kevywevy likes this.
  22. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Let me correct that for you. "No thanks, a show that offers no real new worthwhile viewing FOR ME" "Just another time waster TO ME."

23. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I enjoyed it, but it isn't quite up to snuff, imo.

Big glaring plothole, imo; Supergirl crashed to earth and Supes was right there, but he missed the HUGE jail that showed up at the same time, full of supervillians??? Smh.

It's running in the same timeslot against Gotham... who's silly idea was that??

24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

They have been somewhat consistent with kryptonite post Crisis:
    • It quickly nullifies the kryptonian's powers, and the weakness lasts for a while even when it is quickly removed.
      • During "Infinite Crisis" Superman was exposed to a massive amount of kryptonite for a while and it rendered him powerless for a full year.
    • It will then begin to kill the kryptonian if it is not removed.
    • Prolonged exposure to kryptonite will also kill ordinary humans.
      • Lex Luthor wore a ring with a kryptonite jewel for months and it poisoned the hand he wore it on. He had his hand amputated but it didn't stop the poisoning. He only survived by cloning a new body around the unaffected tissue (basically just his brain, eyes, and part of his spinal column).

musicalbeds likes this.
  25. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Silly, yes.

But, I blame DC.
    They should have had a "non-compete" clause when dealing with networks - some agreement that they can't / don't / won't broadcast against one of their others properties.
    Their shows are big enough to have that kind of leverage.

I enjoyed this week's episode. It ain't the McNeil-Lehrer News Hour, but it never said it would be.