The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I guess the equivalent of Atlantic era Ringo 70's sales are considered a hit in this day and age...........at least in the US.

2. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

To you. I see him clearly just goofing around and making faces like everyone else in the same video:

[​IMG]

3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

436 pages....so should I pick this up or not?

4. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It's a real shame they have to drag around the stigma of Sgt. Pepper, Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane, White Album and Abbey Road.

Other bands would be rightly embarrassed with that kind of decline.

supermd, goodiesguy, ABull and 11 others like this.
  5. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

Hi!...It seems the definition of "ruffs" and "drags" has changed over the years and some drummers make them interchangable. When I lived in NYC I had the privilege of studying with Bernard Purdie, Steve Gadd and Billy Cobham. Looking back on Billy's hand written lessons, which were mostly snare drum studies, the "ruff" was 3 small notes before the main note and all 4 were hand to hand lrlR-rlrL, and this same interpretation appears in Buddy Rich's book on snare drum rudiments (I know, he didn't actually write it). These "ghost notes" were extremely close to the main beat and didn't have a time value in a subdivided sense. Ringo's patter however, DOES fall on a subdivision (the ans of each beat) hence making it more open sounding even though he's using a drag or as some modern drummers would call a ruff sticking pattern, 2 small notes (double strokes) before the main beat. In the traditional sense SOUND WISE, Ringo's is neither and I'll bet he dosn't have a definition for it either. Love him!!!!!;) Druuum on!!!!

Grant and Skywheel like this.
  6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Wait until it gets to 547 pages, and then get it.

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They declined to a higher level than I feel anyone else ever achieved in rock, but to me the level of exuberance and joy at playing music together as a quartet was never the same after 66, and it sounded comparatively tired.

Skywheel likes this.
  8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    Mal likes this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Uh, no. I'd take Ringo's solo career over Tull by a wide margin.

Grant likes this.
  10. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

I couldn't stop laughing.......

culabula and Mal like this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Good advice! Also, 7 is my lucky number so I love that it's included in your number.

12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

So, you are complaining about the complainers in the thread then ? :D :p

lobo, Zeki and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  13. tootull

[​IMG]

goodiesguy and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Although I don't agree with you, Lars does.

tootull likes this.
  15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

That's an interesting point of view. I don't think I've ever seen a criticism that sounded so much like a compliment. :D ;)

Lost In The Flood and dewey02 like this.
  16. tootull

[​IMG]

17. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Paul's not acting, he's high as a kite.

18. tootull

LOL
    :cheers:

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

You play Beatles songs live, right? They stopped touring in '66 for a reason - well, a few but they were more interested in creating records in the studio. On the whole, the songs become harder to pull off with an acoustic guitar and an exuberant attitude. Sure, you can play them but you'll never get close to a satisfying rendition of "Strawberry Fields Forever", etc..

I used to busk with a couple of friends many years ago - mostly just two of us but occasionally all three. "This Boy" always got a great response as did most pre '66 Beatles tunes. Some later ones went down OK (I'd play "Blackbird" and "Mother Nature's Son" when the other one went for a break). I remember getting a great response when two of us set up and played "Strawberry Fields Forever" in Leicester Square - it was only after we'd finished that we noticed the Police were standing to the side waiting to move us on (Solidarity at work!).

Try playing most of the '66-'70 material and it just doesn't cut it compared to the record. You might say the same for the earlier material but it's not such a huge divide - many of the earlier songs are live performance with a little added magic (not understating the brilliance of the earlier recordings - double tracked vocals, George's incredible guitar sweetening, GM's rocking piano, etc., etc..).

As they progressed, it became more about creating the finished songs in the studio than just capturing the band as they sounded live and adding sweetening.

To dismiss the post '66 period as sounding tired is to ignore what was gained by developing into a studio band - these later songs are not simply records of the band's performing skills, they are works of art that changed the popular music world forever.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    zobalob, MoonPool, winston32 and 7 others like this.
  20. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

"They declined to a higher level"
    :biglaugh:
    That's even better than someone else saying in this thread that something was "subjective but opinions on it may vary".

Lost In The Flood and brettb33 like this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, I compared them and found the mono singles on CD and these new remixes to be consistent with each other in terms of instrumental and vocal balance, and compression.

Again, since Giles also mimicked sonic properties the stereo mixes, these new mixes come off as some interesting hybrid. He still fails in certain areas like the sound effects in "Yellow Submarine" being too low in the mix, and the vocal being dry in "Something". I wish he had also added reverb found on the mono mixes.

Raving Russell likes this.
  22. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Dutch top 100 albums > New at nr 2 this week.

German album chart > Re entry at nr 2 this week..52 weeks on chart.

Rocco likes this.
  23. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Well, maybe to a bunch of mainly middle-aged men it may seem embarrassing, but not sure that a 16 year old girl in 1967 would agree? May be the HIGHLIGHT of the video!

JimC and dewey02 like this.
  24. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Mister city policeman sitting
    Pretty little policemen in a row

Dan Steely and Mal like this.
  25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh, but Giles Martin did have a mono mix for "Get Back. The U.K. single was mono, and it is on the mono "Past Masters" found in the mono box. "Something"? He totally flubbed that one, IMO.

I'm wondering how many people, like me, have realized that these new mixes do compare to the mono mixes. I did notice that while the new stereo mix of "Paperback Writer" has all the compression of the mono mix, it still has more impact than the mono. The tambourine sounds muted, but that's how the mono mix has it. On "Day Tripper", the vocals sound controlled, but that's also how the mono sounds.

The only difference here is that on the mono single "Hey Jude", the bell of the ride cymbal clangs loudly. On this new mix, it's recessed and somewhat muted, just like the rest of the drums.

Agreed! It's over the top.

Tommyboy, JimC and Frank like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.