Unfortunate Band Names that hold a band back from mass appeal.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agaraffa, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member Thread Starter

After the horrible events that occurred in Paris last night, I hope this doesn't come off as being in poor taste but it's what got me thinking about this so I wanted to see what other people thought. Obviously, my thoughts are with those affected by the attacks... with that said, onto my question.

After hearing of the attacks, my first reaction was that of horror at what was going on. I'm a music guy though, so shortly after that I got wondering what band was performing at the concert where many of the atrocities were taking place. After I read that it was a "Eagles of Death Metal" concert I thought "Oh, a death metal band... never heard of them". I would have never given it a second thought if it wasn't for another thread here where someone mentioned that they weren't actually a death metal band. After reading that I got a little curios and started listening to them on youtube. I really liked what I heard and will definitely delve further into their music. I'm not a fan of death metal at all so if it weren't for the events of the past 24 hours I would have never even thought about even giving them a chance... based on the band name alone, I would have written them off as something that wasn't for me.

I was just wondering if there are any other band names that people can think of that might lead to this kind of incorrect preconceived notion?

2. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Cheap Trick ?

dino77 likes this.
  3. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Satan's Satyrs, Uncle Acid and the deadbeats, Kadavar, Blues Pills, I could go on and on. They're all somewhat Blues-based heavy 70s rock, but with names like those? Well, never judge a book by its cover.

GodShifter and Hattipper like this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The band name Gentle Giant seemed a bit dopey to me and was one reason I didn't check out their music for a few years (another being that their records weren't easy to find in the 80's when I started buying music).

5. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

The Canadian band Viet Cong (who are great, by the way) are reportedly changing their name after it led to some protests over their gigs.

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Not sure I understand that pick.

I'd say the name Brian Jonestown Massacre probably hinders that band's success (though the Brian Jones part is fairly descriptive of the music). Too bad, so much great music over the years, though mass appeal probably isn't something Anton craves.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  7. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Funny. I dig all those bands, and have only to see Blues Pills. I don't think they've hit toured the states.

GodShifter and Agent of Fortune like this.
  8. pez

pez Forum Resident

Queens of the stone age... them crooked vultures...

Josh homme must do it on purpose!!

9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Maybe for that matter The Jim Jones Revue.......even though (different) Jim Jones was the singer.

10. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Since you mentioned that you liked them I looked them up on You Tube. I liked what I heard too.

11. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

Chvrches, Nickel Creek, Kurt Vile, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, !!! - all bad names, some still have mass appeal in spite of

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

13. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

At the risk of hijacking the thread I just had to share one more...

These guys give "Death Metal" a good name :D

Interesting name. They are neither like "Eagles" or "Death Metal". They are more like Huey Lewis meets Devo (in a good way).

But seriously, I hope they are OK and pray for the victims of the Paris terrorist attack.

14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The Bambi Molesters, although I think they picked that name for that exact reason. There's not a big following for instrumental spy-surf anyway, and fans of that won't be deterred, but it's still fun talking to your grandmother about the band, ain't it?

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Butthole Surfers, for obvious reasons

16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I see what the OP means, I wasn't expecting that at all. I don't actually like the name of the band anyway but for me it certainly doesn't fit their image and music, or this track at least.
    Such a shame they have been brought to our attention this way. I hope they are well.

17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

To sound like a broken 45 RPM record:

JDeanB, starduster and Michael P like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Cowboy Junkies. Good band. But that name.....

melstapler, Moshe and lightbulb like this.
  19. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Athletico Spizz 80

Dave Decadent likes this.
  20. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

Albini's Rapeman. Mass appeal, no....but I often hesitate when mentioning their name. Love the record.

21. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yeah, he has a sense of humor and smarts. Does 'Eagles Of Death Metal' sound like a real death metal band?
    Perhaps if you are totally clueless about popular music.

22. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

As this board has discussed before: The Fags (named after the slang term for cigarette apparently, but still).

There's a Canadian group that was called Rainbow Butt Monkeys that changed their name to Finger Eleven after one album.

Gay Dad is another questionable choice of band name, but they had a Top Ten single so maybe that means they weren't held back after all.

DavidD, Zeki, jfeldt and 2 others like this.
  23. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

There's a band called Pissed Jeans. Have never heard their music, but they must be aiming high!

goodiesguy, GodShifter, Moshe and 4 others like this.
  24. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

"Toad the Wet Sprocket" always seemed like the worst ever band name (despite its Python origins).

25. Weirdomusic

Weirdomusic Forum Resident

Smegma is quite a cool name :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.