The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Nes.

Matt Nes. Well-Known Member

And how does all this "who wrote what" have anything to do with the new Beatles +1 release? I know we are trying to get this thread to 20,000 posts. But we really should be thinking about all the bandwidth we are taking up with un-necessary filler posts. Its gonna cost this forum a lot of money if we go over the alotted bandwidth... ;):hide:

Jimmy B. and Lost In The Flood like this.
  2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Use your ears, not books.

Mal and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

We are going to have to agree on disagreeing. Paul keeps with the basic melody line he sings in the first line when he sings in harmony with John.

Seltarb likes this.
  4. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

I remember in an interview Paul saying"we were going to say she's a PR...teaser..." Notice the WE part, not "I" or "John" so I consider this a collaboration.

Lost In The Flood and Seltarb like this.
  5. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

500 pages or bust. :cool:

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  6. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Now everybody seems to have their own opinion, who did this and who did that....

JimC likes this.
  7. Rose River Bear

I am using my ears. Paul sings the same basic melody line in the verses. John does not take it over. Listen again. That is clearly Paul singing an A note on "taking". If John took over the melody line Paul establishes in the first line, it would be clear but it isn't because he doesn't.

8. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

RIGHT!

9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, he really doesn't. John sings what you are expecting Paul to sing. They swap . Like From Me To You or I Don't Want to Spoil The Party. Look at the videos and you can tell what they're singing. Also Tokyo.

zobalob, AppleCorp3 and Mal like this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Perhaps that was the initial plan in the early days when John really was the principal songwriter, and they just kept using it, not caring, really how it was worded.

Wasn't it Paul who finally wanted this changed over a decade ago and Yoko fought it?

Edit: I just read Omar's post above.

11. 905

905 Senior Member

Day Tripper vocal- let's have a poll.

Mal likes this.
  12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I hear this:

Paul on lines 1 and 3 (A-Ab-F#-E-E), and Lennon at the same pitch on lines 2 and 4 (A-Ab-F#-E-Ab-Ab-Ab, although he may sing Ab instead of A at the start of the lines) with Paul coming in underneath (F#-E-D-B-E-E-E).

Paul always sings the trickier parts...

goodiesguy, supermd, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  13. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Not true. I isolated one line of the upper vocal, clearly Lennon singing it!

https://soundcloud.com/jaja-41/day-tripper-lennon-upper-vocal

Ondra

zobalob, Mal and nikh33 like this.
  14. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Incorrect. Paul sings low on the second line. Why do you think I even mentioned it? I mentioned it because it's not what one expects. But you are wrong. But you feel free to be wrong, and miss out on one of the more interesting bits of Beatle harmony.

zobalob and Mal like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's what happens when people don't have cold, hard facts available to them.

16. Rose River Bear

Could you isolate the second line of the verses?
    You don't hear Paul singing that A note on the word "taking"? You think that is John?

17. Rose River Bear

That line you isolated, listen to the joint isolated vocals and they clearly sing that part in unison. John is not singing a higher part. Could you isolate the line "For Taking the Easy way out"?

18. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Serious Question
    Please tell me what is a 'McCartney Scholar' ??? I keep seeing it mentioned in this thread, do you have to go to a certain university, what qualification do you take etc etc ?

19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I don't think thats the next line of the song... :)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Yeah I'm not trying to be snarky here. You are absolutely right. There is no way for us or them to accurately say the exact percentage of who wrote what on cowritten songs.

McCartney estimated Mr Kite was a 60-40 cowrite. Maybe it was. Lennon said he wrote it. It sounds like a Lennon song. George Martin said it was a Lennon song.

We will never know for certain. McCartney says he wrote most of the melody on In My Life. Lennon said no. But it kinda sounds like he did.

These questions are unanswerable so I'm gonna move on. We can only make educated guesses.

Dr.O'Boogie likes this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Other than your ears, you have not proven me wrong. Someone needs to isolate both vocals and map out the notes. I will admit I am wrong if the proof shows such.

Seltarb likes this.
  22. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Yes but Lennon 'abandoned and neglected his oldest son' (of which he did not do by the way) was when he was a young man busy in the middle of The Beatles, you know how much time the Beatles were working, right, if Lennon had spent more time with his Wife and Child the Beatles would have ended in 1965 !!

Gone4ABurton and helter like this.
  23. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

John does give credit for helping on the middle 8 for In My Life in 1 interview. The beginning music sounds like Lennon to me.

24. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Is it within the rules here. For someone to post the new intro to Real Love. I won't get mine for 5-6 days and I'm curious what's so fabulous about it. I'm curious about FAAB being more of a John/Paul co lead vocal also. Did McCartney even record a good lead vocal take ?

25. Onder

Onder Senior Member

What are you talking about? I made this from the isolated vocals!!! They did not sing this part in unison.
    This is the 4th line of the third verse. You are confusing it with the 2nd line of the third verse. That bit they sang partly in unison because Paul forgot to go down below John and sings with him in unison when finally realise his mistake and goes below him on "one night stands". But this is the fourth line.

If you can't get it from the isolation, listen to this. Live version from Candlestic Park. John's mic is barely audible so you can hear almost exclusively Paul and he goes down everytime on 2nd and 4th line in verses.

Ondra

goodiesguy, supermd, nikh33 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.