Best (and safest) way to remove roach poop from album covers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by latedep31, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latedep31

latedep31 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently acquired a bunch of records today, and a few of them have roach poop on and in the covers. The loose droppings I shook out of the insides, but I need to find a way to wipe the stuck poop off of the front and inside.

2. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

You bought GG Allins old records?

3. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Make 'em clean it off themselves!

driverdrummer likes this.
  4. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

I would first get some thin surgical type tight fitting gloves, to protect you and your family from.....who knows what is in there, salmonella, or worse, rabies.

I did this with mine post a 10 year stint in the garage.

On the sleeves, I first lightly scraped off any poop chunks. Rubbed gently with a new dobi (yellow plastic dish sponge)
    Rub lightly to just break up and remove most if not all of the poop which is visible.

Then I used some Luke warm water with Lysol in it. I wiped them quickly, with a little more force than the dobi previously. Then before it dried, I used some moist baby wipes to remove any excess, I had a roll of good quality paper towels, which I wiped right after to dry off any excess water. Pain in the butt, depends how much you like your albums as to what to spend, and how careful & finicky your are when cleaning. This is what I did, but you can do it anyway,
    The jackets can get a little damp, when wiping, but make sure to dry em good before ey go back in sealed, or unsealed jacket sleeves

latedep31 likes this.
  5. latedep31

I don't have all of this stuff, but I'll make do with what I have. Thanks a bunch. :righton:

Also, what kind of Lysol? Spray, or is there a liquid version?

6. Bathory

I sprayed some from aerosol can in the water, and also on some dry paper towels directly for wiping.

If it was now, I would buy one of those round Lysol pre moistened wipes. Shouldn't cost more than 15-20$ for all you need. \m/

latedep31 likes this.
  7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I don't know why but this is my favorite thread.:nauga:

ARK, jupiter8, anthontherun and 3 others like this.
  8. Bathory

Check or ask, maybe some premoistened "anti-bacterial" wipes would be better if you have kids, just to be sure you don't bring anything in the house, if the kids like to grab your stuff, and run away giggling, I would use anti bacterial wipes.

driverdrummer and latedep31 like this.
  9. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

10. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

It happened to me! Over 20 years ago I lived in a Queens NY apartment and as most city dwellers know roaches are a problem. I had it under control most of the time but they keep coming! They laid their poop in an item of mine and I apparently did not notice until some time after. It was in my copy of Paul McCartney Flowers in The Dirt World Tour Pack. They got up into the fold at the top. I wish I was as fastidious as Bathory (above), but I cleaned it. Better , but I worn off some of the paper and some stains remain. Aint life a bitch!?!

latedep31 likes this.
  11. latedep31

No kids here, thankfully. 27 and unmarried/no girlfriend, so anything I use won't get into anyone's hands.

Fullbug likes this.
  12. Bathory

If the poop was on them for a long time, you will have some stains from, The proteins, acids in the poop.just take your time and make them look nice. Mine have some light discolorations, from some of the mice poop & urine. Take your time, and do a good job, you'll be happier when your done, and they still look amazing. Best of luck

latedep31 likes this.
  13. latedep31

A stain won't really bother me, but I just want to get rid of layers of it.

Funny enough, it's not my first roach-related incident of the day. I put on my shoes earlier today, and felt something. I took my shoe off, and a HUGE roach came out! Threw my shoe and then I killed it. It was a palmetto roach, so when I killed it, it had a bad odor.

Davido likes this.
  14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

15. latedep31

I know, my roach in the shoe thing was off topic, but it is kinda relevant in a way! :laugh:

16. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

17. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I'd disinfect and scrub the discs with dish soap and cold water and toss out everything else.

If you look around enough you'll find better covers. Even with most of the crap scraped off it would probably still look like, well, crap.

18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Why would you bring anything that disgusting into your home voluntarily?

ARK, Gaslight, Kossoff is God and 3 others like this.
  19. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Maybe you were joking, but you certainly can't get rabies from feces, and definitely not from insects.

agundy and drasil like this.
  20. latedep31

There not all like that. Most of them don't have any at all, at least what I can remove without ruining the covers. Only very few have it on the covers themselves.

21. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Bury them with a shovel and then bury the shovel.

jupiter8, Mal, Gaslight and 2 others like this.
  22. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Wow you guys are germaphobes. Nobody realizes it, but I don't care how clean you are, where I live, there are roaches and roach poop in your house. It is a fact. Not infested or anything, but they are there. If you are allergic, it is something that you have to live with. You will find a dead roach on your floor occasionally.

People joke about palmetto bugs being our state bird. :)

Fullbug and latedep31 like this.
  23. latedep31

Palmetto bugs are gross. I think they're worse than actual roaches.

I'm starting to think that making this thread was a mistake. Though, some of the non-serious replies have been funny. I've been looking over these records again, and most of them don't have any on them at all. The only reason I bought them is because there was some pretty good stuff in the bunch.

24. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I'm sure they're fine. Just clean them as best you can by scraping the dirt off and enjoy. Certainly don't burn them or bury them if they are otherwise in great shape.

25. latedep31

The records themselves are fine. That's all I'm worried about. Just a little cleaning and they're ready to listen to! :D

scotth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.