Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I have heard Commercial traveller, Salamander ragtime and Small cigar(orchestral version)
    They are cool tracks. Traveller is my fave and Small cigar is a better version with electric bass and guitar bits giving it more grunt

BwanaBob likes this.
  2. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

The first 11 tracks on CD 1 consist of a complete re-recording of the album for a TV special. The subsequent five tracks are remixes of the original album tracks, the only ones for which the multitracks are still available. This means that the multis for "Prelude", "Quizz Kid", "Crazed Institution", "Salamander", "Taxi Grab" and "Pied Piper" are currently missing in action. This is why CD 2 contains a flat transfer of the original album at the end.

RubenH, Chris Haley, tootull and 2 others like this.
  3. Thank you.

4. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Needless to say that the flat transfer is the best digital version of the original album so far.

tootull, johnny q and sound chaser like this.
  5. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I both listened to and watched the TV special yesterday evening and enjoyed myself immensely. I saw this on TV back in 1977 and have had fond memories of it ever since. Of course, from today's perspective it's hardly a stunning spectacular, but it's a truly lovely period piece all the same.

Before this set was announced I didn't even know that the TV special had all the music specifically re-recorded. Judging by my first two spins, I'd say that the TV version is probably better than the previously released album - I can't really say why, but it just sounds somewhat more like proper Jethro Tull to me.

Hymie the Robot and RubenH like this.
  6. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I agree, so far this set hasn't prompted a full reappraisal from my side which the Warchild box did, but the performances on the TV version just seem a lot less lumpy. Still mid tier Tull at best, but some great tunes in there. Another wonderful set.

7. I found this nice content summary on progressive ears (I think it may also be buried in this thread):

Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die! - The TV Special Edition Deluxe features a previously unreleased re-recorded version of the album for a 1976 UK TV special.

It additionally contains original LP tracks and rare associated recordings, plus 2015 5.1 and stereo mixes by Steven Wilson.

Also included:

* flat transfers of the original album as well as a host of rare associated recordings including previously unreleased material.

* the previously commercially unavailable original TV footage with DTS, Dolby Digital Surround Sound and Dolby Digital Stereo sound.

* the TV audio in 96/24 stereo PCM, alongside a host of other associated recordings in surround and 96/24.

* an extensive 80 page booklet including an essay by Martin Webb on the preparation and recording of the album in Brussels and Monte Carlo, the aborted stage musical, the London Weekend TV special and the 1976 tours. The booklet also contains a track by track annotation by Ian Anderson, lyrics, a feature on Ian Anderson and his motorbikes, Dave Gibbons on drawing the LP's cartoon inner spread and 'From Carmen to Tullman' - The Musical Life of John Glascock, unseen photos and lots more.

Deluxe 2CD/2DVD (NTSC, Region 0) casebound book with 80-page booklet.

Pre-order for 27th November release.

preorder (£24.99 GBP)

Tracks

CD1 (Re-recorded album for TV Special):

1. Prelude*
    2. Quiz Kid*
    3. Crazed Institution*
    4. Salamander*
    5. Taxi Grab*
    6. From A Dead Beat To An Old Greaser*
    7. Bad Eyed And Loveless*
    8. Big Dipper*
    9. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die!*
    10. Pied Piper*
    11. The Chequered Flag (Dead Or Alive)*

Five Original LP Tracks:

12. From A Dead Beat To An Old Greaser
    13. Bad Eyed And Loveless
    14. Big Dipper
    15. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die!
    16. The Chequered Flag (Dead Or Alive)

Monte Carlo Out-take:

17. Quiz Kid (Version 1)*

CD2 (Associated Recordings):

1. Salamander's Rag Time *
    2. Commercial Traveller *
    3. Salamander (Instrumental) *
    4. A Small Cigar (Acoustic Version)
    5. Strip Cartoon
    6. One Brown Mouse (Early Version) *
    7. A Small Cigar (Orchestrated Version) *
    8. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die! (Demo) *

Original Album Flat Transfer:

9. Prelude
    10. Quiz Kid
    11. Crazed Institution
    12. Salamander
    13. Taxi Grab
    14. From A Dead Beat To An Old Greaser
    15. Bad Eyed And Loveless
    16. Big Dipper
    17. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die!
    18. Pied Piper
    19. The Chequered Flag (Dead Or Alive)

* Previously Unreleased

DVD 1 (Audio & Video):

Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die!
    TV film with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Digital Stereo
    Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die!
    TV audio in 96/24 stereo PCM
    Five Original LP Tracks with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and 96/24 stereo PCM.

DVD 2 (Audio):

Associated recordings - with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and 96/24 stereo PCM:
    Salamander's Rag Time, Commercial Traveller, A Small Cigar (Acoustic Version), Strip Cartoon.

Associated recordings - in 96/24 stereo PCM:
    Quiz Kid (version 1), One Brown Mouse (early version) Original Master Mix, Salamander (Instrumental), Strip Cartoon Original Master Mix, A Small Cigar (orchestrated version) Original Rough Mix, Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die! Demo.

A flat transfer of the original 1976 Quad LP Production Master with DTS 4.0 and Dolby Digital AC3 4.0 surround sound.

A flat transfer of the original 1976 LP master at 96/24 stereo PCM.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The TV special has a rougher sound and a less polished production. Glad you like it.

tootull and makedatmusic like this.
  9. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Yes. Especially when some of my favourites are missing in action. :idea: I'll give it an 8.5.

Apparently - used by speakers or writers to avoid committing themselves to the truth of what they are saying :angel:

10. tootull

I liked it. Especially 5.1, 96/24 audio only.

Plan9 likes this.
  11. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Have tried to like this album since it came out and have failed.

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm liking it more with the new versions/mixes, but I'm still having trouble too. My favorite parts of it sound like other songs they did earlier. Still trying though.

tootull and fredblue like this.
  13. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

I know I'm nobody to you but fwiw from a perfect stranger who couldn't get into this one I would say try and give it time and a load more plays.. its definitely a grower.. and personally, I feel the best stuff on it is amongst the best they ever did.. but I accept this isn't a commonly held view! :shh: Still, there's no better time to reappraise it than now, this new set is about as comprehensive a reissue as anyone could hope for!

14. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

"One Brown Mouse" is terrific. Darn, now I need to get the "folk" albums...

tootull likes this.
  15. fredblue

I'm a bit cut up about that too.. but am ecstatic they managed to find and include all the unreleased Quad mixes..!!

Another wonderful addition - and surprise - in this out and out superb series of Tull reissues.. I so hope they do get around to lavishing the same treatment on Heavy Horses and Songs From The Wood after the revisit to Stand Up.

Ed Hughes, tootull and dougb222 like this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

That's the plan. I do enjoy these deluxe editions of albums I am less familiar with for just that reason. Heck, A Passion Play is one of my favorites now and I would have said I hated it before the deluxe came out.

17. fredblue

Nice one! :righton:

Tbh I'm still not entirely sold on WarChild as an album, despite persevering when it never really grabbed me, although it certainly has its high spots its probably the least played of my JT 70's stuff.. but I'll continue to get out the deluxe set and keep trying to like it! Haha.. :D

mmars982, FVDnz and tootull like this.
  18. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Stop trying. It's pointless to force yourself to like something. That's time poorly spent.
    Listen to something else, go out and have a good meal, smack a nun upside the head,
    whatever........

tspit74 and tootull like this.
  19. fredblue

B-b-b-but its fun flogging a heavy horse! :goodie:
    I mean dead horse.. :idea:

20. tootull

:cool: I was surprised "One Brown Mouse" appeared here.
    :nyah:

Speaking of HH: Question for all, would it be acceptable to include this take of "One Brown Mouse" on a deluxe Heavy Horses? I think it should be included for the HH fans that would never buy Too Old.

fredblue likes this.
  21. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Personally, I don't think so. I like the fact that these boxes are chronological, expecially if they do include songs that would resurface on later albums in different versions.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    tootull likes this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Maybe muster a slightly different mix (if possible) or mastering and I'm OK with the idea.

23. Yes, and Ian's Heavy Horses voice was quite different from his Too Old voice. It may sound out of place next to The Broadford Bazar and other period songs.

tootull and Galeans like this.
  24. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Small cigar is like a new song with the extra bass, guitar, organ, orchestra and drums. It's become a great track

25. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Do we have to bother? For Heavy Horses, we want a full european 78 gig from the Bursting Out Tour. I´ll take that any minute. I even threw the idea to Jakko.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.