Additional Springsteen titles now MFIT - Album Collection Vol. 2 around the corner??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicdav24, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicdav24

musicdav24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now that there are additional Springsteen titles with the Mastered for ITunes tag (Tunnel of Love, Hunan Touch, Lucky Town, Ghost of Tom Joad, The Rising, and Devils &!Dust), I wonder if this is a good indication that we may see an Album Collection Vol. 2 box shortly?

Just before the first box came out, several titles were MFIT, albeit different masters I believe. Thoughts?

2. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Here is the original press release for the batch of MFIT that preceded the studio albums box set (volume 1):

Ten Bruce Springsteen Albums Mastered For iTunes Available...
    18 February, 2014

Ten Bruce Springsteen Albums Mastered For iTunes Available Today
    Bruce Springsteen brings ten albums newly Mastered For iTunes to his fans on the iTunes Store: iTunes.com/BruceSpringsteen. Five of the records—'Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ,' 'The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle,' 'Born To Run,' 'Darkness On The Edge Of Town,' and 'Born In The U.S.A.'—have been transferred from analog to digital using new technology* for the first time. All ten albums, remastered by Bob Ludwig, are available today.

Over the last two years, under the supervision of Bruce Springsteen and engineer Toby Scott, Jamie Howarth of Plangent Processes utilized new audio technology capable of repairing pitch and timing errors embedded in analog recordings to transfer Springsteen's early album with improved definition. Plangent Processes' unique technology for archiving original source tapes eliminates many of the inevitable distortions inherent in vintage recordings, resulting in greater transparency, detail and clarity. After the transfers were made, they were remastered by Ludwig.

Albums Mastered For iTunes

1. Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ *

2. The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle *

3. Born To Run *

4. Darkness On The Edge of Town *

5. Born In The U.S.A. *

6. We Shall Overcome – The Seeger Sessions

7. Working On A Dream

8. The Promise

9. Wrecking Ball

10. High Hopes

I don't believe that anything special was done from a remastering stand point for anything post BORN IN THE USA in this first batch.

I'd be curious to grab Devils and Dust or The Rising and compare it to the CD release -- Devils and Dust (oddly enough) sounds especially poor to my ears on CD.

3. musicdav24

musicdav24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been sampling Tunnel of Love and Human Touch on iTunes and must say, they do sound improved! I'd be interested to hear other thoughts....

4. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Some of these are on the German HiResDownloads site as well

5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Working on A Dream, Magic and (I think) the Seeger Sessions are coming out on vinyl over the next few weeks. I don't know if these are reissues or remasters, but they are available on pre -order.

6. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I haven't been able to compare with my ears yet, but the Mastered for iTunes version of Devils and Dust is more dynamic compared to the CD. It jumps from a DR7 to a DR9:

CD DR info:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR5 -0.10 dB -8.64 dB 01 Devils & Dust.m4a
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.17 dB 02 All The Way Home.m4a
    DR8 -0.10 dB -11.24 dB 03 Reno.m4a
    DR5 -0.10 dB -7.07 dB 04 Long Time Comin'.m4a
    DR7 -0.10 dB -9.71 dB 05 Black Cowboys.m4a
    DR5 -0.10 dB -7.92 dB 06 Maria's Bed.m4a
    DR10 -0.10 dB -12.35 dB 07 Silver Palomino.m4a
    DR7 -0.10 dB -8.61 dB 08 Jesus Was An Only Son.m4a
    DR8 -0.10 dB -9.82 dB 09 Leah.m4a
    DR10 -0.10 dB -12.72 dB 10 The Hitter.m4a
    DR5 -0.10 dB -7.49 dB 11 All I'm Thinkin' About.m4a
    DR11 -0.10 dB -13.74 dB 12 Matamoros Banks.m4a

Number of files: 12
    Official DR value: DR7

==============================================================================================

foobar2000 1.2.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2015-12-02 00:28:39

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Bruce Springsteen / Devils & Dust
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR9 0.00 dB -11.49 dB 4:58 01-Devils & Dust
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.72 dB 3:39 02-All the Way Home
    DR10 0.00 dB -13.13 dB 4:08 03-Reno
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.44 dB 4:17 04-Long Time Comin'
    DR9 0.00 dB -11.95 dB 4:09 05-Black Cowboys
    DR7 0.00 dB -9.91 dB 5:35 06-Maria's Bed
    DR11 0.00 dB -13.63 dB 3:23 07-Silver Palomino
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.71 dB 2:54 08-Jesus Was an Only Son
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.61 dB 3:32 09-Leah
    DR11 0.00 dB -13.97 dB 5:53 10-The Hitter
    DR9 0.00 dB -11.00 dB 4:23 11-All I'm Thinkin' About
    DR11 0.00 dB -13.60 dB 4:00 12-Matamoros Banks

Number of tracks: 12
    Official DR value: DR9

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bitrate: 262 kbps
    Codec: AAC
    ================================================================================

7. Mastered for ITunes files are still 256 kps MP3's (sorry AAC) files. When is iTunes going to offer hirez???????

johnny q likes this.
  8. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

I've see The Promise & WOAD releases scheduled for this Friday however neither of the sites I normally use (Amazon & What records) have anything listed for magic or Seeger Sessions.

9. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Devils and Dust sounds much improved to my ears. I even made it through Maria's Bed without a headache and unnecessary ear bleeding.

When the band kicks in on the song it doesn't make me want to bury my head under six pillows. Always a plus.

I always thought that the CD mix was way too loud -- especially on the band tracks. Much too aggressive for this set of songs.

The iTunes version seems dialed back just enough and the material is better for it. I'm so used to hearing the CD version that I could hear the difference almost immediately.

I definitely recommend this version. Here's hoping the CD/LP box comes sooner than later.

I've always thought that Human Touch and Lucky Town sounded pretty good, but I think the Tom Joad record would really come to life if it sounded a touch more like "Brothers Under the Bridge" from the Tracks set. If it has been remastered to sound more in line with these other remasters we might have something here. Maybe I'll grab that one next.

Looking forward to hearing other people's opinions.

Solace likes this.
  10. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Sorry, I can't resist asking but does your ear really start bleeding? ;)

DRJOEL65 and lbangs like this.
  11. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Well, no...but if it would relieve some of the pain from listening to that track I'd consider it. Now...no worries. I can pretty much crank "Maria's Bed" (!) without any distortion.

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I still see new, sealed copies of Seeger & Magic every once in awhile. It wouldn't make much sense to reissue them. The only recent Springsteen LP that's hard to find is The Promise.

13. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I'd be really interested to hear a new improved master for Devils and Dust. I've always loved the album but the loudness issue on the master does put me off. I've applied some clip fixing on Audacity and it's improved things slightly.

14. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I don't see these on iTunes...or at least under the MFiT title

15. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Just search on Springsteen Devils and Dust and the only entry should be the MFIT.

16. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Get it! I'd like to read another opinion. $10 -- it's for science.

17. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

+ 1 on Tom Joad. Wonderful record

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Promise is out on vinyl. I have the original, and it sounds very nice. Interesting that they seem to be reissuing other more recent albums (that have never gone out of print as far as I know). I wonder if Bruce has finally figured out that they don't sound good. They should remaster High Hopes as well.

19. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

It hasn't been confirmed that these new vinyl issues are remastered...

20. Witney Devil

Nowadays I mostly listen to a rip of D&D from the 5.1 version.

I have a few versions of the rip saved but the one that is played most is from the Centre Channel only - In the main it's just Bruce & guitar.

21. Witney Devil

There's certainly nothing on the cover indicating a remaster just a silver sticker saying its a "Legacy Vinyl 180g Superior Audio Quality".

22. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Me too! I made one version of the album that is just Bruce and guitar and then a did a second version that is Bruce & guitar plus backing vocals and slight percussion if it was found in one of the channels. The great gem of this is getting a solo (guitar) acoustic version of "Jesus Was An Only Son" -- since the CD version is largely driven by piano.

This solo version of Devils and Dust made me finally appreciate and love this album. Once you strip it from all of the (newly?) added band portions it really shines.

23. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I've got the Hi-Res version. It's definitely better - more space and 'presence' - but still too loud IMO. I can't crank it up the way I'd like to. A missed opportunity I think as the album has so much texture and atmosphere. I'd be curious to hear it on vinyl.

24. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

The high res version is likely the same master as found on the CD -- no?

We're discussing the newly released mastered for iTunes version.

25. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

As far as I know the Hi Res is new. It has the same DR numbers as the iTunes version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.