Who invented punk rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

The Who. Even ignoring their aesthetic influence on The Velvets, MC5, Stooges (not quire sure how The Sonics fit in the timeline) and every "actual" punk band thereafter, they surely were the first to fully combine the punk ethos in both music and lyrics via "My Generation" (you could argue that they did it first on "Anywhere, Anyhow, Anywhere," but the case for the lyrics isn't as tight). -E

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  3. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

oh my god what a load of WANK

lets all name our favourite 60's bands

can you let go???

THIS IS PUNK:

tremspeed, gingerly and Purple Jim like this.
  4. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

CAN WE TALK ABOUT PUNK ROCK?

Kill Uncle Meat likes this.
  5. It has a variety of fathers and mothers but The Monks preceded them all.

6. Jet Age Eric

Yeah, you're right, this is much less punk, because it's older. :angel: -E

starduster and quakerparrot67 like this.
  7. The poll results clearly reveal all ie. none of the above list!

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Patti Smith definitely made this song punk.

9. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

pretty good stooges tribute band.

cheers,
    rob

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  10. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

uded, ask the original punks (those who are still alive) what they listened to when they were learning to play, what influenced them. those are the roots. the bands 950's, 60's , glam, etc) are what turn up time and again in interviews with the 70s original punks. like it or not, the pistols learned to play along to the who and small faces, mick jones of the clash stole a lotta licks from mott the hoople, and everyone from the ramones on grooved on and ripped off 60s pop. its how it is. for all of punk's year zero' attitude, what it basically did was bring back what was great of 50s and 60s music and updateds it for the 70s and beyond.

rob

cheers,

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  11. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

12. tremspeed

Just because someone was influenced by something doesn't entitle the influencer to take credit for the final product. Otherwise, no one could be credited for inventing anything, which I guess is a point one could make. Punk was a statement of fashion, attitude, and music that was a direct response to the status quo. There wasn't the same statement of rebellion in the Who, the early Stones, Mott the Hoople, etc, they were very much products of their contemporary musical environment (which is NOT to say they weren't good or pioneers, nor is it to say that punk didn't very quickly become it's own status quo).

In short, Akira Kurosawa didn't invent Star Wars, and the Sonics (or whoever) didn't invent punk rock.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  13. Jet Age Eric

Are you saying the progenitors of punk aren't punk because they were responding to a different status quo, or are you saying The Who and MC5 weren't very explicitly attacking the status quo the way, say, The Pistols and Clash were? -E

14. tremspeed

The former. Definitely wouldn't argue the MC5 were ok with the political state of affairs, but musically, were they really THAT different from other stuff going on at the time? Compare to the Sex Pistols and Ramones in their respective musical climates.

15. tremspeed

I've tried to extrapolate on my thinking a little bit, but it's a bit like explaining the color blue. I think punk is at heart regressive, and that implies progress. Garage rock and early hard rock (Who, Blue Cheer, MC5, etc) wasn't a rollback of anything that came before, it was new. Punk rolled back the prog, the disco, the post-Laurel Canyon yacht stuff.

16. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Really! The question is who invented punk rock and people are naming bands that influenced its invention. Very strange. How can you invent something if you're already listening to it?

havenz and tremspeed like this.
  17. tremspeed

very well said.

havenz likes this.
  18. Tensilversaxes

Tensilversaxes Well-Known Member

Lots of different bands, including the Modern Lovers.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  19. JeremyD

JeremyD Member

Death - not the metal band. See the documentary 'A Band Called Death', or their debut 'For the Whole World To See', which was pre Sex Pistols/Ramones.

J Vanarsdale likes this.
  20. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Tipper had more authentic punk roots.

21. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

THIS

22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Death? That's probably technically true...but no one noticed them in the 20th Century so they had a negligible influence on the formation of the genre.

Poison_Flour likes this.
  23. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Yes, she briefly flirted with music in a garage band as a drummer with her stage name Tipper Headon... ;)

24. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Uk wise? probably The Sex Pistols. Stateside it goes to The Ramones. I'd like to throw The Misfits into the mix, but punk was already well along the way by the time they started.

25. And anyone who has their album knows that it's not punk rock as we know it, Jim.

Jet Age Eric and tremspeed like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.