Amazon Multi-Format vs Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. php111

php111 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Yes, I did a Google search first and I seen a discussion on Amazon. The person who responded to the OP and as far as I could see the OP was confused as well. Honestly, I do agree because I am also confused.

So, for a short answer when buying movies from Amazon, what is the difference between Multi-Format and Blu-ray?

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Looks like they're incorporating a regular DVD and a Blu-ray disc in the one pack?

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yes, I think that's all it means. Perhaps even a digital download as well.

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

These packs have been around for a while in the shops.

Sometimes just the BR and a download, other times, all three. I got the 2010 Star Trek this way. BR disc plus a download copy.

5. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I just noticed that as well. I assume it's a BD & DVD combo pack, possibly with a Digital Copy.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You know what cleared it up for me ? When a simple Blu ray title on Blu-ray.com links to the format in question.
    That's when I blew it off as just another Amazon Product Page Short Bus mistake.
    Right there alongside reviews on the page for other versions, and their other foul ups we've learned to ignore.

It just means Blu ray. Because that's all I've ever received when ordering one of these.

Another way to cross check...enter your BD choice by UPC code, and see if this Multi Bambooey comes up !

7. Myke

In fact...I just remembered...my Lightning Deal for the Twilight Zone Complete Series linked to this Multi thing earlier today. See ? Nothing different, just the same boxed set everybody else gets.

8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

The other posts here have answered your original question, but here's a note of caution.

Don't ignore the Multi-Format packages just because you don't need the DVD or the download. For example, the new 50th anniversary My Fair Lady Blu-ray is a Multi-Format package. If you try to buy just the Blu-ray, you'll find it's the older, unrestored version from several years ago.

I've seen this a couple of times now--the new releases are only available as Multi-Format.

9. Myke

So you think I'm going to receive 24 DVDs along with the 24 Blu rays ? I don't think so. And there's no download either. I just checked.

10. It does happen sometimes. Didn't Criterion do that with the Blind Swordsman series?

11. Myke

I can guarantee you my Twilight Zone box will have 24 discs, no more, no less. See what UPC 014381807158 gets you at Amazon. Then try it elsewhere.

12. php111

I don't understand this between the Multi-Format vs Blu-ray? I assume the Multi-Format does not include any Blu-ray discs?

13. Myke

It's BS I'm telling you. Read my posts. I'm not lying.

14. php111

I did not say it was BS. I read your replies once briefly and just now went back to read them fully and I understand from reading the Multi-Format is the same and no difference.

Myke likes this.
  15. Myke

Right. Not only did the TZ box arrive as the BDs only, but because this thread was on my mind, ALL such mistakes are now jumping out at me !!!:laugh:

16. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Multi-Format is what Amazon refers to as combo-packs (ie BD+DVD, BD+download, BD+DVD+download, etc).
    In the case of the Twilight Zone BD-set it is just one case of many where Amazon's product details are frakked up. I entered a correction a few days ago with a reference link to Image's website (their parent company, to be precise) and this correction appears to have been processed at this point as the Multi-Format entry has been removed.

17. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I like buying the multi-format and giving away the DVD to friends or family.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.