Amazing film of The Kinks - Paris 1965

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

I couldn't find a thread mentioning this but I just came across it.
    It's one of the best documents of a 60s beat group concert there is. It totally captures the atmosphere of the concert, the times.

2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Incredible !
    Never saw this one before. Thank you :)

janschfan likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Gee, who do they remind me of in this video? Hmm....

ZippyPippy and CCrider92 like this.
  4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Awesome! Never seen it before either. Great example of how rough and raw the early Kinks sound was. Thank you very much, Jim, for posting it.

Anybody else notice Anita Pallenberg in the audience?

signothetimes53 likes this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

What an opening: Bye Bye Johnny / Louie Louie / You Really Got Me...

FJFP likes this.
  6. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Fantastic clip. There are others which show off particularily what a great rhythm section Pete Quaife and Mick Avory were, but this one is a blast.

ajsmith, Adam9 and Dave Hoos like this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wow. Just wow.

Seems this was posted before but in poor quality. This is an upgrade if its the same show.

You can really see the power of Ray and Dave in this clip. In the early days they must have been a force to be reckoned with in RnR. That venue looks like a hot box. Just a sweaty beautifully raucous mess. Love the audience panning and yet keeping the amazing show from the stage in the shots also. Rock N Roll was still fresh and exciting to the kids in that audience. Inhibitions be damned and never even considered. Completely natural. Just awesome.

What I like about this and the Beatles Hollywood Bowl "new" footage is how it perfectly captures the excitement of being there. People who werent around in those times (like me) always wonder what it must have felt like. Shows like this and the Hollywood Bowl footage put us as close as we are likely to ever be. A terrific time transport.

Ill take this rough film footage over promo vids, studio boredom footage or rooftop concerts anyday.

This is Rock N Roll.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  8. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

It deserves an official release, as soon as possible. It's full on right from the start...right from the moment Dave practically shoves the emcee out of the way. Just brilliant.

ajsmith likes this.
  9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

excellent- :)-:thumbsup:

10. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Not the Beatles....there's only one KINKS!

Brudy and Dave Hoos like this.
  11. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Wonderful!!! Anything by the Kinks is worth watching or listening to. Thanks for posting this.

I do wish a Kinks dvd/blu-ray like the ones done about Herman's Hermits, Gerry and the Pacemakers, and the Hollies a couple years ago could be done.

12. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

grand-maman?

13. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Awesome, music history !!!

14. godstar

godstar Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

15. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Fun stuff.
    Footage of rock bands at that time always seem to miss the person playing the solo.
    Either they pan the audience or film the bass player during the guitar solo.

misterdecibel likes this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

If you take a look at around 1:05, it looks like the Master of Ceremonies doesn't understand that once the band starts playing he needs to get off the stage, so Dave bumps him out of the way. :D

Dave Hoos and theMess like this.
  17. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

Not to mention those solos are way down low in the mix. Not complaining, still a fantastic piece of footage!

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Outstanding.

19. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Usually it's a good time to get a few cameos of screaming girls.

Another pet peeve is when they show the musicians only from the shoulders up, so you can't even see them playing their guitar. Rock 'n Roll really caught out the stodgy old filmmakers and TV crews of the time.

John Porcellino likes this.
  20. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  21. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I assume this clip is the same as the content on this DVD? :

Amazon.com: Kinks - Paris 1965: Kinks: Movies & TV »

I've had this DVD for several months, but haven't cracked it open yet, partly due to the many negative comments it received at Amazon's site. But hearing you folks here rave about it makes me more excited to see it.

22. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

This is a great, very raw. Notice how Dave shoulders out the overbearing compere. Crowd a bit staid, but that was the time especially for Europe I think. Some of the audience really got what it was all about though.

What do they chant at the end, is it mer-ci, mer-ci, mer-ci? How do you ask for an encore in France?

23. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I'm Dutch not French but i think : Bis / Encore

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

To ask for an encore in French typically a crowd will roar "une autre" (another (song)) and not "encore" as anglophones imagine.

In this instance, however, the crowd do appear to be chanting "Merci" which is both unusual and unique.

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Watched it again. Goes down as my all time favorite live performance by a rock n roll band. I admit Im biased. The Kinks are my go to band over any other 60s group. Yes, that includes "them". :D

ajsmith and Dave Hoos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.