Quentin Tarantino's best film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

As director, Jackie Brown, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, Sin City. Pulp Fiction was OK, but I'm not a Travolta fan.

Rooster_Ties and alexpop like this.
  2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm surprised at the relative lack of love for Reservoir Dogs and the abundance of admiration for Jackie Brown.... I'm the complete opposite (RD would be in my top 3, while JB would be in my bottom 3).

:shrug:

3. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I'm all Pulp Ficitioned out. I'm going with Jackie Brown, though I'll say I didn't love it at first!

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  4. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

+1

ShawnMcCann likes this.
  5. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

I agree,. I don't know what QT's role is in the making of movies, but I feel like most of the cool things his movies present have more to do with the lighting, color, and camera work more than anything else.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

pulp

alexpop likes this.
  7. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

Pulp Fiction: The cut up effects with the narrative are brilliant. And Basterds rewrites history in a pretty cool way. Brown is probably underrated. But Django is his most serious film. I gotta go with that.

alexpop likes this.
  8. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

"Pulp Fiction" for me.

9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Pulp Fiction is the most important film in his body of work, but for me, Jackie Brown is his most substantial.

Greg Gee and Rooster_Ties like this.
  10. Django

Django Forum Resident

I would like to see him make a film that is not a genre/ homage film.

DHamilton and mpayan like this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Jackie Brown, si?

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Pulp Fiction is an utter tour de force, and an astounding achievement, but I have to put Reservoir Dogs ahead of it for 2 reasons:

1) RD is a stupendous film and presents itself as a far simpler and less sophisticated exercise. Obviously that's not entirely true, but that it succeeds despite a lack of apparent bells & whistles and is little more than a stage play, makes RD one of the very best films ever made in my book.
    2) PF's greatest component (imo) wasn't written by Tarantino. I will never dispute the film's brilliance, but the removal of the gold watch conceit makes it a substantially less noteworthy film, and while QT naturally deserves credit for utilizing Avary's story, I can't give him full credit for it.

I enjoy all QT films (with the exception of the ponderous Kill Bill) but find the remainder to fall well below the threshold of RD and PF.

alexpop likes this.
  13. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Pulp Fiction, by some distance, though I like Reservoir Dogs and bits of Inglorious Basterds

humanbeing likes this.
  14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Agreed. No contest here.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Why is there no poll ?

JediJones and JediJoker like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

17. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I've enjoyed them all except Django Unchained, IMO a big mess.

Thought his top two are Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction.

18. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Pulp Fiction. If for no other reason, for Samuel L. Jackson's final scene in the diner.

BeeBee55 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  19. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

"Pulp Fiction" by a mile- #2 would have been "True Romance" if he'd directed it. He really needed Roger Avary who probably deserves most for the credit for the narrative structures (watch Avary's own "The Rules of Attraction" for evidence).

alexpop likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Probably "Pulp Fiction", though I seldom watch it.

I tend to watch "Kill Bill" more often. Maybe because it's on TV a lot. But I do enjoy it, even if it is long-winded.

"Jackie Brown" is kinda overlooked. It is a good little film. But not my favorite.

"Inglorious Basterds" might be his most mature work....except for those moments he throws in his Tarantinoisms which take me right out of the movie (for example the Sam Jackson voice-over interlude). I think there is an even better film in there that could have been found if edited differently. I still enjoyed it, though.

I like "Death Proof", but mainly due to Kurt Russell's presence. There were too many scenes of the girl's standing around talking that dragged on and on and on. Tiresome.

"Reservoir Dogs" is lean and mean. An excellent film. Now that I think about it maybe it is his best as it isn't bloated and excessive like most of his other works.

In summary....I can't decide. So I'll just say "Pulp Fiction" and go with the flow. I'm hoping "Hateful Eight" turns out as good as it's trailer looks and earns Kurt Russell a much-deserved oscar.

alexpop and Greg Gee like this.
  21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Pulp Fiction
    Reservoir dogs
    and....True romance :)

alexpop likes this.
  22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill for me. I love them both (or all three).

JediJones and alexpop like this.
  23. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

To me it's Jackie Brown. I think it's the only good picture he's ever made, and really the only time he hasn't lifted from untold amounts of others.
    I was never a Pulp fan, but I've warmed to it a little bit over the years. The rest I loathe, particularly Resevoir CITY ON FIRE Dogs and Basterds which to me felt fundamentally broken.

But to each their own. My big gripe with QT has always been the lack of invention and the retreat towards embracing genre tropes as a "style" simply because he's pandering to an audience.

But seriously. Reservoir Dogs IS City on Fire, except with less story and some flashy dialogue here and there. Complete ripoff.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  24. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

25. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Django Unchained followed by Pulp Fiction, Followed by Kill Bill l & ll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.