Sugar Daddy - Fleetwood Mac

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tim185, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Though a fan of FM, Im not huge on the Christine Songs.
    I can usually tolerate them, some are very good.
    This one is diabolically bad, BAD....absolutely unlistenable, totally and utterly. Its embarassing. What were they thinking? Not hurting her feelings or something?
    Any back story on this song and how it made it onto a otherwise fine, actually a classic album?
    Surely they could have written a better song than this to fill space on their lunch break.
    It completely ***'s with an otherwise great flow of interesting intelligent song writing.

2. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I like it. I like it better than Warm Ways which slows the album down to a crawl on the second song. I have a bigger problem with Oh Daddy on Rumours which could easily have been replaced with Silver Springs. I like all other Christine songs on Fleetwood Mac and Rumours especially Songbird.

3. tim185

Yep, Oh Daddy, another shocker. Creeps me out. 0/10.
    Songbird- Great!
    Warm Ways not a favourite, but compared to Sugar Daddy its Bohemian Rapsody to me.
    Im not anti Christine by any means, except when she dials in garbage like Sugar Daddy.

4. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Christine is an essential part of Fleetwood Mac.
    Her songs provide a MUCH NEEDED light contrast to Lindsay and Stevie's often heavy and/or ponderous approaches.

Sugar Daddy is indeed innocuous, but keep in mind this was written in the 70s. Mellow. Carefree.

And you are entitled to your opinion but your toxic and abrasive tone negates your point.

Terry, MikeVielhaber and KASHMIR like this.
  5. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I agree that Christine's songs aren't nearly as good in general as Stevie's or Lindsay's.

6. tim185

She has written some absolutely fantastic songs, this aint one of em no matter what way you spin it.
    Im abrasive cause I just listened to the album and it annoys the hell out of me. Completely messes with the flow. The fact it was written in the 70's is no excuse for lazy formulaic crap songwriting with gut wrenchingly bad lyrically work.

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Gee whiz, dude. It's been 40 years. Let it go :laugh:

Terry likes this.
  8. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Wow. I really like Fleetwood Mac.

I think Christine's songs are absolutely essential. Smooth and mellow in the best sense. Lovely music imo.

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Sugar Daddy is a fine song, in my opinion.

Terry likes this.
  10. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

I am the opposite. I much prefer the Christine songs and can't stand Stevie Nicks' voice.

Carserguev likes this.
  11. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Christine McVie wrote many excellent songs while in Fleetwood Mac, both before Buckingham/Nicks as well as after they joined. You Make Loving Fun and Don't Stop are among the best songs on Rumours. But I agree with the OP that Sugar Daddy isn't a very good song.

Scott

12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

"Sugar Daddy" - not a great listening experience
    "Oh Daddy" - I've always liked this one a lot

Larry L and Monosterio like this.
  13. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Can't say I have a problem with "Sugar Daddy". I doubt it was among the band's favourite numbers from the album, though, as I think it was the only song that was never played live.

Terry likes this.
  14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Sure, it's the weakest song on that album, but I still like it. "Oh Daddy" I like a lot, though.

15. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Christine's songs were often fairly meaningless pop fodder, which places them above Nick's annoying "mystical" 2 chord wonders. This song doesn't stick out.

16. ArchieLeech

ArchieLeech Well-Known Member

I like it plenty, and here's my breakdown...
    1) Easy-rolling groove just feels good - apparently Waddy Wachtel agreed, since he played some nice terse rhythm behind everyone else's more fluid lines.
    2) John McVie's bass in particular is very melodic, similar to earlier tracks such as "Child of Mine."
    3) Buckingham plays one of his sweetest guitar leads. As a young guitarist, I always tried to find my own lines when playing along. Buckingham's work on this and "Blue Letter" demanded to be played note-for-note. (Notice how the band shifts the rhythm during the solo, and the way Christine makes the organ swell halfway through.)
    4) But here's the meat of the song - it's one of a long line of Christine's songs about diminished romantic expectations. She never asks for much and always seems ready for disappointment. "You give me all the love you need...I'm not asking for love" she sings here, a modest statement in keeping with her other humble requests: "send me a smile"..."heroes are hard to find"..."come a little closer"..."send me a little bit of your love"..."tell me sweet little lies"..."I never did believe in miracles"...."I'm out of mind and it's only over you"....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.