Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Makes sense, Paul, and agree. Very neat to me as well, and love hearing Frank talk with Axel.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Bob Belvedere likes this.
  2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

I'm extremely fond of the sound and clarity of the Light up time material on AVOA.
    I wish there would be a boxset with all the rare Light up time recordings. Sinatra did so many unrecorded Songs on that programme. Imagine hearing seldom heard Songs like "Envy", "A dream is a wish", "Now that I need you" etc. in good sound quality!

paulmock, Smartin62 and MMM like this.
  3. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

I noticed this as a 24/96 download, but was waiting to hear some feedback. Is it worth getting, then?

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

My copy of Lost And Found arrived today (finally!). It got here well within the estimated delivery timeframe, but I still don't understand why it took this long to get here considering I live in the same state it was shipped from!

colormesinatra likes this.
  5. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Today I finally received AVOA from amazon.uk. The front cover was totally dented, creased and bent. (The package doesn’t reflect damage) I have left it sealed. What are the options with returning and replacing CD's to amazon.uk. I have never had to return a UK bought item till now. Bummer .... Advice?

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Did you buy it directly from Amazon.co.uk or from a third party (Marketplace) seller?

7. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Contact them and send it back. It's easy. I think , if I remember correctly , they send you a return label and you just send it back. I had a cd badly marked I e mailed them a photo , they emailed me a label I printed it off and sent it back.

Peace and love✌

8. howlinrock

I bought it directly from amazon.uk. This shipping took a lot longer than normal to receive. I got a package last week from an order mailed a week after this one. I know it's a busy time of year. I have bought a lot from the UK and this is the 1st package I have ever wanted to return.

I know some of the protocols are different with returning items to another country and what are the options. I almost want a refund and I'll buy one in the US.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Send them a photo of the damage. Emphasize the fact that you are a longtime customer who has never before had to return an item. If you're lucky, they may tell you to just keep it, and send you another one. If not, they'll give you return instructions.

10. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

You will have no problem with a return to Amazon UK. They won't give it to you, but you will have no problem with a return. I did it once and they did send an email saying what the shipping reimbursement would be. I don't remember the amount, but when I went to mail it from the US the shipping was about 20 bucks and their reimbursement was far less than that. I sent them an email with a pic of my shipping receipt and they reimbursed the entire amount. Amazon has great customer service until you cause them too many problems and then they ban you. Apparently once you are banned from Amazon they're very good at keeping you banned checking IP addresses and so forth. You can google "banned by Amazon". I buy a ton of oop factory sealed cd's from third party sellers and lots of them are used reseals. I contact the seller directly and almost never make an A to Z claim because that is how you get banned.

11. howlinrock

This isn't so easy after all ..... What's offered is a "replacement and return" or "refund and return". All options (not like USA) have me paying the international postage up front and being paid back upon reciept.

I'll probally keep it at this point. Back to Frank .....[​IMG]

12. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

That's not nearly as bad as how my London box set showed up at my door. one of the corners was completely busted. I kept it. It's the music that matters.

Smartin62 likes this.
  13. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

I have a question concerning the recording of "Excactly like you" with the Four Sharps. Some sources say that Sinatra plays the ukulele or guitar on this one. Does anybody have more information on this? Fact is, that Frank played the ukulele when he was young and it's very unlikely that he was only conducting. This was only a quartet. What's there to conduct? So what else than playing the ukulele would have been his job?

14. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

What is difficult about that? Were you expecting an Amazon rep to show up at your door and pick it up from you?

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Right, that's how it works. What's the problem? It's really easy to do and you do get the shipping cost refunded back to you.

What were you expecting the process to be?

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sinatra may have played ukulele at times with the group. Indeed, in Nancy Sinatra's book, Frank Sinatra: An American Legend, her entry for May 12, 1937 (page 31) states:

"As the vocalist and ukelele player for Frank Sinatra and the Sharps, he performed on Town Hall Tonight, an amateur show that was hosted by comedian Fred Allen."​

However, if you listen to the track's intro, when Fred Allen asks, "How many pieces, five?," Frank answers, "Four instrumentalists and myself." That may be subject to interpretation, but it suggests to me that he was not playing an instrument on THIS number. (I hear piano, guitar, clarinet, and percussion. Possibly, there's some ukulele strumming in there, which better ears might be able to detect.) I would guess that Frank's usual role with the group was as a vocalist, as documented by the above book quote.

roda12 and Bob Belvedere like this.
  17. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

One of the things that I like about this set, that Chuck was so smart to do, was to program a complete SBS show
    on Disc 2, all the songs from the Dec 12, 1945 show are included. Also, the Oct 24, 1943 show is complete. I have been going back and forth between
    the Box Set, and my complete shows.

Bob Belvedere and MMM like this.
  18. kennyluc1

Another observation, Songs By Sinatra 1945-1947, most of the 1947 shows were/are hard to find in good sound.
    in attempting to collect all the shows, the May 1, 1946 show was, for me, one of the hardest to find in good sound.
    So, I am delighted to have, on the Lost & Found CD the last cut Bonus Track: the medley from the May 1, 1946 show.
    Very Rare and hard to find in this kind of sound.

19. kennyluc1

The Porgy & Bess Medley on the Lost & Found Cd is a different performance than the track released on the 2003 Columbia
    Cd Sinatra sings Gershwin. That performance was from a 1944 Vimms show. There were actually 2 different P&B medleys on that CD
    now we have 3 completely different performances officially released.
    Vimms - Sept 13, 1944
    Songs By Sinatra - April 10, 1946
    Songs By Sinatra - June 4, 1947
    little things like this excite me.

20. howlinrock

Ha Ha funny ... Yea I want an amazon drone to pick this up from my doorstep .... This is a different process for a UK return from US. In the US I would print a prepaid label and drop it off at UPS. No hassle, no charge. The difference of paying for UK postage up front with tracking. Yea i know they will refund postage.

Like the process in the US. None of this is difficult it's all about convenience (going to the USPS this time of year) and amazon customer service. I don't want to wait another 3 = weeks and I'm NOT LOOKING for a freebee.

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Happy to finally hear the REFLECTIONS material, Kenny? I remembered you looking forward to it and other material from this period...

kennyluc1 likes this.
  22. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

That's the chance you take when you order something at a significantly lower price from the European Amazons. There's always the risk of shipping damage that will require a return, which is going to take a lot longer when overseas shipping is involved, plus as mentioned you have to pay the return shipping and wait for reimbursement. If it were me, based on the pic you posted it would be going right back. My copy, also ordered from Amazon UK, had a small crease on top of the slipcase, but it was nowhere near as obvious as the one in your pic.

bluesbro likes this.
  23. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

After I read this, I signed up for the USPS thing and I received the Lost and Found disc without any notifications it was on its way. Doesn't matter though.

@MMM This Lost and Found disc is a true revelation. The fidelity is so clear it is frightening, in the most amazing way. The Voice, for one is stunningly crisp especially the moments he uses his vibrato. It seems to hit my ear more prominently.

The orchestras are so vivid and full of nuances that are usually lost when listening to material of this vintage, the pluck of a harp, the chime of a bell, a small trumpet solo. All clear as crystal.

I Should Care brought me to tears with both the performance and its fidelity.

I'm in the middle of the CD as I'm typing this and EVERY track is a knockout.

Beautiful work!

Thank you so much!

-Rob

D.B., Bob Belvedere, MMM and 2 others like this.
  24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Rob, we're so glad you and everyone is enjoying the disc and the set this much. Thank you... :cheers:

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I can't imagine how anyone could not enjoy this set! That kind of person would be impossible to please! :)