Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

"Till the end of Time"

Always loved Perry Como's interpretation...could never imagine one better. Frank comes damn close.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I have the CD set and it is fantastic! I can't comment on the audio quality of the download version but check the A Voice On Air thread or ask there.

[MOD: posts moved to this thread.]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2015
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Sorry if I missed this, but is the sound quality on Lost and Found better than A Voice on Air? Or the same?

I just ordered this! Regardless of SQ, looks like a must have. They say 3 to 4 weeks for delivery.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  4. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Sound quality is the same: Phenomenal!

Smartin62, colormesinatra and MMM like this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Boilerplate. Should be much sooner if you're in the US. Those of us who ordered the day it became available online received it within two weeks.

colormesinatra likes this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

Good to hear that. Thank you. Looking forward to it! Add to the collection.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Was it that short? It seemed like forever to me. Just spoiled I guess. Worth the wait no matter how long!

8. SamTheSham968

SamTheSham968 Forum Resident

Well, I ordered the day it went online & haven't received it yet (I live in the northeast). Anyone else not get it yet after a 1st-day order?

9. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Im in the Northeast too. I got it yesterday!

10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Received an unexpected royalty check a little early and like a madman decided to spend part of it. I just bought A Voice On Air, Lost and Found: the Radio Years, and In the Blue of Evening, the latter an old radio compilation I've been missing.

Can't wait to compare the tracks from To Be Perfectly Frank to their counterparts on the public-domain CD.

11. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I have to address the fact that, there is NEW material on this set that I have never heard. Not much, but, some.
    I hope this will warrant a Vol2, or, maybe a series of single Cd's like this. Martin you guys have to find
    the Meet FS show from April, 1951 where Billy Eckstine is the guest and Frank sings "Everything I have Is Yours "
    and, as with Nat Cole's "Tenderly " Cut's their respective records's to Shreds...Comes up in the moment with a definitive performance
    FOR THE AGES !!!

D.B. likes this.
  12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

My copy arrived across the Atlantic today and I'm just listening to it for the first time ... I'm not sure whether this is true across the full set but I'd say that the sound quality on Lost & Found is not quite as good - at the start particularly - as A Voice On Air. The impression is that this disc largely consists of performances by voice & orchestra, which will make it more attractive to some, less so to others. Personally I prefer to hear the small ensemble recordings because the orchestral arrangements tend to sound less detailed and more "creaky": all those sustained string notes certainly put the pitch stability under a microscope!

More pertinently, it seems to focus on the songs rather than their introductions, so the chatter that gives the set so much colour is rather missed, and there's less of that gloriously hokey sense of fun.

That said, it's a lot of vintage Sinatra so there's not a whole lot to complain about.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Sordel, thanks. Our approach on LOST AND FOUND wasn't really any different re its production. However, there were a few tracks on it where their inherent fidelity might not have been optimum. There were also a few instances on that disc where - by the nature of working on a project like this and wanting particular songs - there were sources needed that sometimes weren't optimum, which in this case means including a few songs that were only available to us in transfers with some processing already on them. Aside from replacing or reducing the songs, that could not be avoided. Given the goal of first presenting the best material for a cohesive whole program of music, and making each as best as it could be within, sometimes this was an un-preferred, though necessary decision. We hope you feel the disc sounds very good on the main though, plus most importantly musically coherent and enjoyable.

14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks for the information. I look forward to listening to this historical music.

It's clear that you did the best possible work on this which had it's challanges. No surprise considering the age of the material. I have always been a post 1952 fan of Frank and it's great to now hear this rare music from an earlier time.

D.B. and MMM like this.
  15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Wonderful, teag. Let us know your thoughts once you get the box set and the disc. We hope you enjoy them.

16. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

Hell, Martin, I've been having a mothery ball listening to 'em.

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Mothery ball is probably as good as it can get, Bob. ;)

D.B., rangerjohn and Bob Belvedere like this.
  18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I just now finished listening to all of disc one. Kudos to all involved. This is a great set, clearly a labor of love and no small accomplishment in balancing technology, TLC, and good old fashioned "taste and restraint." The love for the subject matter is obvious, as is the respect with which it was handled. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

19. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

MMM, Every decision you made, and every approach you took, to sourcing and mastering A VOICE ON AIR was correct. There is no indication of laziness or of settling for the easy solutions. You took the time to do it right. Truly an impeccable job. Therefore, I've decided that you and your team are the ones who should rescue the 1953-4 sessions used for the TO BE PERFECTLY FRANK radio program. The sessions are of extremely high quality and quite innovative, a major creative breakthrough for Sinatra. You've had some experience with five of the tracks already so you're the best qualified to undertake this rescue. An industry-insider like yourself must give leadership to this rescue or it will never happen. Please see what you can do. Make it a priority.

Everybody else in this thread -- encourage him.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    D.B., CBackley, rangerjohn and 5 others like this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I like how you basically just ordered him to do that. :laugh: It's up to the label and the estate if it ever happens.

D.B., Bob Belvedere, bluesbro and 2 others like this.
  21. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

22. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

D.B., Bob Belvedere and MMM like this.
  23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Richard, on behalf of Chuck Granata and Andreas Meyer, along with myself, thank you so much for your appreciation on the production of these releases, and your faith in us on future projects. My best...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    D.B., CBackley, rangerjohn and 3 others like this.
  24. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Is that you mom?

D.B. and Bob Belvedere like this.
  25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I don't like to make work for anybody, but for what it's worth the team that did A Voice On Air would be very safe hands to handle any other Sinatra project.