Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

If he's got any smarts and wants us to be even half-excited about Avatar 2 - 17, Cameron should be having his team creating a full page ad for Variety to be published in a few weeks.

From Variety, 1998.

[​IMG]

Jeff

2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

He does that same half-smirk at the beginning of Blade Runner, when Edward James Olmos mentions the name "Bryant."

Captain Groovy likes this.
  3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Obviously even the studio knows that "Sisters" isn't any good, otherwise it wouldn't be coming out the same day as Star Wars.

It's one of those things where the individual parts don't make a great whole. I like Tina Fey. I like Amy Poehler. I like comedy. I should like this movie, but it looks terrible.

4. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

No I mean more THIS:

[​IMG]

and less THIS:

[​IMG]

Down with Resting B!tch Face!

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Kaboom….another loser for WB

6. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Foreign is twice that of domestic in early returns. I'm thinking it will do better overseas as they do tend to like disaster movies more than the US.

Just my two cents... plus it was barely beat by Hunger Games.

But overall a very slow weekend at the box office, which will change starting Thursday...

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Doh... here's the headline in Variety:

Box Office: ‘In the Heart of the Sea’ Flops With $11 Million Debut
    http://variety.com/2015/film/box-of...e-sea-flops-with-11-million-debut-1201660029/

Ron Howard’s “In the Heart of the Sea” sunk at the box office this weekend, mustering up a measly $11 million after debuting in 3,103 theaters.

It’s a painful flop for the director behind “A Beautiful Mind” and “Apollo 13,” one of the worst of his Oscar-winning career. With an $100 million production budget, the film will likely result in a steep write down for Warner Bros., the studio behind the seafaring epic. “In the Heart of the Sea’s” failure is the latest in a long string of missteps for the company, which is reeling from a litany of disasters that includes “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,” “Jupiter Ascending” and “Pan.” The studio did catch a break over Thanksgiving when “Creed” emerged as a sleeper hit and its financial exposure is softened on “In the Heart of the Sea” because Village Roadshow was a backer.

“We stand behind Ron and his vision for the story,” said Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros. distribution executive vice president. “We believe in him. He’s a terrific filmmaker. But some movies work and unfortunately some movies don’t.”

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

It's a shame because I thought it a good movie and story.

Karnak likes this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The bland, wishy-washy title "In the Heart of the Sea" can't be helping either.

Dudley Morris and bopdd like this.
  10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I knew it would bomb you had various movies and cable movies too.
    I heard the Cgi sucks what I seen of it it does..
    There was little point in doing this movie again ..
    Just like Pan, a massive blow to Huge Jackmans ego..

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Due to preview showings of "Sisters", right?

12. Vidiot

This huge blockbuster is opening this week...

[​IMG]

Somebody again explain to me why they wear no pants. Then again, I used to work on Duck Tales for Disney, and nobody could explain why Donald wore the top half of a sailor suit on land, but then Donald and the three nephew ducks had to wear bathing trunks (and no shirts) when they went to the beach.

Maggie likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I was gonna make that joke, but I couldn't find evidence of Thursday preview screenings.

Which makes sense - those are at night, and the "Alvin" crowd is in bed by then!

You know the suits at Fox are happy. "So what if we don't have 'Star Wars'? We have 'Alvin'!!!" :laugh:

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah. That was my first thought. What a horrible title.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

What is the point of making them actually look like vermin? Simon in particular looks less intellectual and rather unsavory...

16. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

We saw "In the Heart of the Sea" Saturday with a mixed (age-wise) audience. The reviews I read were negative. They said the 3-D was jarringly bad (it wasn't), the characters had no chemistry (the crew was thrown together), not enough action - even suggesting it should have been directed by Michael Bay (does every movie have to be "The Transformers"?), and too much CGI (uh...).

We did not know the real story and enjoyed the film. Kinda sad.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    robertawillisjr and Karnak like this.
  17. Vidiot

I think their theory is, "eh, for the 9 million people who can't get into Star Wars, the family audience will go for the Chipmunks as a fall-back plan." Seriously, ALL movie box office grosses go up when a monstrous blockbuster opens, because the theaters are so crowded. Everybody benefits -- the fans get great movies, the studios make huge money, creative people make more royalties, the theater owners finally make some money... so it's all good. The only drawback is that it's incredibly crowded during those days.

18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It real simple vidiot, Donald likes to swing it out all to see lol..
    Why is Micky bare chested most of the time Why did Yakko, Whako, and Dot.
    From Animaniacs wear just pants, sweater, and dot just the bottom part of a dress?
    These are things we will never know...

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there are a few others...

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I haven't seen the film, so I can't comment on its quality. I do think it's 'failure' at the box office is more than not a matter of bad timing than anything else.

21. Vidiot

It's hard to say. They delayed In the Heart of the Sea about six months, announcing back in July that they felt a December release would be better for its Oscar chances. But judging by the reviews, it won't help. I think there were bigger conceptual reasons why the film didn't succeed. One of the most important questions filmmakers have to ask is, "who is the audience for this film?" and if the answer is "we don't know," they have a problem.

22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

This is going to be really bad for Chris Hemsworth. Guy has now starred in three expensive flops in a row. Can't seem to open a movie that isn't Thor. It's a pity -- Rush was tremendous and Blackhat had a lot to recommend it in the cinematography and art direction department even if the story was silly. Heart of the Sea is a much more uneven picture. The stuff at sea, with Hemsworth, is great, but the frame story with Brendan Gleeson and Ben Whishaw doesn't work at all. Not surprised the reviews have been lukewarm.

Vidiot, heatherly and lbangs like this.
  23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Yes. Open it in the middle of dead movie season and I think it would have done better.

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Doc Savage, the man of bronze, was raised from childhood by a team of scientists to become the original "super" hero of the 1930s. A man of great mental and physical strength, he went around the world battling larger than life villains.Doc Savage (announced) (rumored)

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  25. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Hemsworth also has The Huntsman coming up in the Spring. The first one did fairly well. The second should do well too (though, no Snow White in the upcoming one.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.