Box sets that didn't disappoint

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redeemer, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

The Complete In a Silent Way sessions (Miles Davis) is one that gets a lot of play from me and then the new Frank Sinatra: A Voice on Air is just crazy good.

Leeston likes this.
  2. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

;)

All bootlegs?

J Vanarsdale likes this.
  3. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

BIG STAR Keep an Eye on the Sky

4. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Various - "Best Of Broadside" on Smithsonian Folkways is a great set and probably my favorite box set I own.

Followed by the "Wallander" TV/film music box set by Flesh Quartet. It is limited run of 3 x 10" vinyl with an included CD. I adore it.

I also like the Black Sabbath vinyl replica box that came out on Castle.

Billy Bragg "Volume 1" is really nice, and I wish I could afford "Volume 2"!

Neil Diamond - "In My Lifetime" is cool too.

The "Swing Tanzen Verboten!" box on the Proper label is a real treat.

And I have about eight of the Trojan 3-CD box sets... Not a dud among them!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ah, there are so many! BFR Dean Martin are golden!

6. RandyP

RandyP Forum Resident

I agree with many of the choices above. Here are my comments.

Dylan - Biograph. The first box set I ever bought and one of the first by a major artist. Hits, rarities, etc. I was just getting into Dylan at the time and it was a revelation. It may pale in comparison to what has come out of his archives since (especially Big Blue) but, remember, in 1985, this was a godsend to people like me who wanted to discover more about an artist. That led me to...

Dylan - Ten of Swords. I have written in the past about this and maybe it's not fair to even list it since it's unofficial, but, combined with Biograph, I "thought" I was a Dylan expert overnight. Boy, was I wrong. I hadn't even scratched the surface.

Beach Boys - Good Vibrations box set. Like Biograph, this spurred me to collect the rest of their catalog.
    Beach Boys - Pet Sounds box and Smile Sessions box. Essential for obsessives like me.
    Beach Boys - Made in California. I was thinking this would be a let down, and maybe it was to some, but I liked it. I can't comment on sound quality and which particular remixed versions of the hits were chosen, but I thought there were enough rarities included to make it worthwhile.

Burt Bacharach - The Look of Love. Bought this at the height of my Bacharach fix. 75 tracks don't begin to do the man justice, but it included such minor gems as "The Last One to Be Loved," (Lou Johnson) "Fool Killer," (Gene Pitney) and "Take a Broken Heart" (Rick Nelson), among the well known hits. The Anyone Who Had a Heart box set a few years back included more rarities but I still find myself going back to this one when I want to hear a wide range of his music.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

when I first got TOS I was blown away by the Desolation Row outtake! and some of the acoustic stuff sounded pristine! great set for the times...bested these days.

RandyP and J Vanarsdale like this.
  8. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

No, just the first 2, the Zappa boxes were his official releases of the old boots, awesome stuff... and came with a t-shirt

9. Smack

Smack Shadows taller than our souls

Rod - Storyteller
    Dylan - Biograph

10. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Miles Davis - all the "complete" box sets from Columbia, especially Mosaic vinyl versions
    Thelonious Monk - Complete Riverside Recordings
    Dylan mono vinyl
    Beatles Mono vinyl
    Tom petty Live anthology
    Art Pepper-complete Galaxy Recordings
    Motown #1 singles
    Aretha - queen of soul
    Coltrane-complete Atlantic

This music I listen to over and over

11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

most of the ones I would name are on here so i'll name one that isn't
    cheap trick- sex,america,cheap trick

lightbulb and highway chile like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

only issue I have with that set is its missing "it rained all night". a b-side from the hey stooped era that is semi hard to get

Pennywise likes this.
  13. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Beatles Mono vinyl
    Fela vinyl box sets x3

marksxart likes this.
  14. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

All the Bill Evans boxes, the John Coltrane releases on Concord, all the Miles Davis boxes, Grateful Dead Spring 90 and Spring 90 TOO, 30 Trips, Europe 72, Fillmore West 69,Winterland 73, 77. Complete Monteux, Reiner, Stravinsky, Wiener Philharmoniker Decca box, all the Decca Sound classical boxes, the Philips Sound, Furtwangler box, RCA Living Stereo boxes, Rubenstein and Horowitz boxes, Ozawa Philips years, the Berlin Phil box. Just to name a few. Oh -and the big King Crimson boxes-Starless, Larks, Road to Red, etc. And don't forget that Jerry Garcia studio album set "All Good Things" with many extras from each period.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    Chazzbo13 likes this.
  15. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Surprised that we're 7 pages in and nobody mentioned this one, which is the first box set I ever bought although I got rid of it long, long ago. I believe it was because I had it on cassette and was moving into the world of CD:

[​IMG]

16. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

Wow! Never knew this existed. When did you buy it. I presume it was pricy? Is it the complete run of the Black Jazz label. Any extras? While I didn't like everything this label put out, it looks like a really nice set.

17. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Definitely the recent "Complete Simon and Garfunkel" boxed set. I just got into S&G and wanted everything in one swoop, so there you go. :)

Well, okay, I didn't get everything (the bonus tracks aren't included in that, which is strange..... the lack of Tom and Jerry is understandable!!), but it's nice to have!

18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Thank You For The Music by ABBA: In addition to inclusion of many great tracks (such as Crazy World and Should I Laugh Or Cry) which were only released as B-Sides, the fourth CD in the set contains previous unreleased tracks including a medley called ABBA Undeleted which features a collection of unfinished tracks that are arranged as continuous medley (including part of the song Just Like That which was to be part of what was going to be ABBA's tenth album).

Paul R, Eska68 and Jarleboy like this.
  19. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Was thinking same thing. Must be talking about the vinyl set.

20. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I really like Aerosmith: Pandoras' Box because it focuses on their best and most creative years with Columbia records '72-'82.

JJFlash and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

I have that and box of fire

22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Jethro Tull -- 20th Anniversay

Bought on CD and vinyl it was so good. While most of the tracks are now released...at the time it was mind-blowing in what it revealed. Still is fantastic.

(Native North American Vol 1 is my most recent GREAT box set discovery...)

23. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Beatles in Mono
    Velvets 'What Goes On' (at the time!)
    Jam 'Creation...'
    B Boys 'Pet Sounds Sessions'

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Found a n/m lp box a few months at the thrift for 5 bucks, still yet to give them a spin, thanks for the reminder :cheers:

Duke Fame likes this.
  25. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

I got it around 2012 I believe on ebay. I can't remember the exact price I paid but I don't recall it being too bad for a 20 disc set. It didn't come with any extras except a little booklet in Japanese and yes it is the complete catalog of the label. At the time I got it the individual discs were hard to find and I wanted all of the label's output so this was a great value for me but since the titles have been reissued there's really no need for such a box... especially if you're not down with all the albums.

trebori likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.