Time Traveler liquidation sale starts Jan 2, 2010 (Cuyahoga Falls OH)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by MikeP5877, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

ron at digital daze was a good guy. the anti-scott actually.

he always had a nice selection in his "sale bin", and always gave a fair price on trade-ins.

2. bw

bw Forum Resident

Heartbeat was a cool store. I remember it being in that house. They had a huge Country Life poster on the wall. :righton:

3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Sometime in the range of 1978 that house first opened as "The House of Records and Tapes" run by a very attractive younger woman. I remember when because she special ordered the UK white vinyl "Let It Be" and green vinyl "Abbey Road" for me. I also found my rare "big face" front cover version of Billy Preston's Apple LP "That's The Way God Planned It" in her store. Chuck came along and bought her out creating Heartbeat in that location.

I just found this cool archive story from the September 29, 1978 "The Daily Kent Stater" campus newspaper:

"The House of Records and Tapes, located at 426 E. Main St., also opened recently. Albums that list for $7.98 are sold for $4.65, with eight-track and cassette tapes priced at $5.89. OWNER LOUISE Sattmiller said that the store carries “a lot of rock, some jazz and rhythm and blues. With the prices as low as they are, we stick pretty much to hit products, but we’re also open to what the people want.” Other retail prices for $7.98 list albums around town include a $4.69 tag at the Kent Community Store, and a $6.99 tag at Clarkins."

http://dks.library.kent.edu/cgi-bin/kentstate?a=d&d=dks19780929-01.2.32#

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    bw likes this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Ron was a nice guy and I also enjoyed and miss "Digital Daze". I believe that Ron had some health issues and Buddy was acting as if he wanted to save the day, but what he ended up doing was help kill Ron's store and later he went down the street to "Quonset Hut" and he certainly didn't do them any favors there either. Funny, but just the other day I was in Fairlawn at the "Exchange" and I saw Buddy walk in the door and I conveniently went around the DVD section to exit stage left, before having to pretend to be happy to see him again!

applebonkerz likes this.
  5. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I just saw the Time Traveler Facebook page...I did not realize that Scott was asking his customers to come and help him move out of his old store a couple months ago.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

I'm a little late in keeping up with this thread.

Vinyl Underground - That's where I found my RL LZ II a few years ago. They actually had one on display by the checkout for $75 that looked fantastic but there was a friggin' skip on the intro to "Whole Lotta Love" so no deal. I took a chance on the beat-up looking one in the bin for $20 and as it turns out it sounds great. I found a ton of great stuff at VU, including a NM mono Blonde on Blonde (with Claudia picture).

Spin-More - the LPs were overpriced, but the 45s were reasonable, especially if you had cash. I enjoyed taking a long break from work, grabbing the headphones, and going to Spin-More to spin/test out 45s for an hour or so. All of my Simon & Garfunkel singles came from there. I read he sold most of his inventory to Last Exit across the street but not the singles apparently (last I checked)

Heartbeat - my one and only trip there (May 4, 1990), I bought a Memorex cassette of Artful Dodger's Honor Among Thieves LP. For $10. It ran too fast and the LP from which it was taken was scratched up. I do not know why I allowed myself to buy this. $10 was a lot of money to me back then. $10 is a lot of money to me now.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose...

7. Chris C

Mike, I have Artful Dodger's "Honor..." and "Self-titled" on legitimate CD's, that are from Sony tapes and they don't run too fast or have any scratches. Give me your Memorex cassette and I'll record over it and "fix" you up!

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

Thanks Chris, but I've since acquired pretty nice vinyl editions of all four Artful Dodger albums. :righton:

Chris C likes this.
  9. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

just wondering how this is going at the new location.......

is he still selling used as new?

boots and homemade CDs'?

someday i will get there, but i just have a real problem supporting that place.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

bump

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so i guess i have assume that no one has gone to the new store yet...

13. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I have not been to the new store, nor do I plan on it unless I'm driving by & morbid curiosity takes over.
    However, I have been to the old store. It's now "Odds and Ends Emporium". It's been open a couple months now & it's sadly little more than a junk store. There is all manner of flea market stuff scattered about & in piles. The prices are reasonable & you can find something interesting if you look closely & dig a bit.
    I did find a sealed VHS of the Star Trek episode 'Spock's Brain' for a dollar. Having a crappy episode on a crappy format sealed for all time made it worth the cross town stop.
    Your mileage may vary.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  14. Chris C

I stopped by the store a month or so ago, when a friend of mine asked me to tag along. Scott was still being Scott and there was a lot of the same old stuff in there, although for me, he had a slew of 45's, which he never had at the previous location and I always love looking through old 45's, especially if they are in good shape and in their proper sleeves and NOT a lot of money! Scott said that his wife Tracy was teaching something upstairs and that the building where they are now, is owned by Jill of "Jilly's Music Room", which might explain how they both ended up there? If Scott has Jill offering him low rent and the Beacon Journal keeps doing their bi-yearly "going out of business" stories for him, he should stay in business for at least another 5 or ten years!!!

By the way, I had a huge flash of deja vu the other day, when I was reading an article in Rolling Stone magazine about The Black Key's Dan Auerbach's new band "The Arc's". He mentioned that he once worked for Quonset Hut in Akron and I about flipped, when it hit me like a ton of bricks, that I remembered him waiting on me way back when. I remember him being this sort of short, quiet guy. Who knew that he would end up in one of the decades biggest bands? Good for him! He would probably never remember me, as I never bought the kind of music that I'm sure that he was into, plus I would shop Quonset Hut's Canton store far more often! I was sick when they moved next door from the old original house. That was when Quonset Hut started to die for me.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  15. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  16. Chris C

Ironically, another guy just opened a new vinyl/CD store in Fairlawn and just down the street from that, is a newly "vinyl" loaded "Barnes & Nobel" music department and I hear from an old friend that Summit Mall just got a brand new F.Y.E. store, which he claims is also loaded with vinyl.

In my opinion, while I'm happy to see that the B&M stores of yesterday are slowly making a comeback, but I feel that the prices are far too high for the new vinyl and what's up with these crazy record labels, reissuing what seems to me, to be "nearly everything" that has been released on vinyl before?

Scott really doesn't stand much of a chance in that remote area of Akron, where his store is now, but, I wish him luck! Scott has always been his own worst enemy, so we'll see how long it all lasts this time?

17. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

Wait, a new year coming. Time for another Time Traveler crowd sourcing campaign. We all have to keep this store afloat and now with art and music and camping above time and travels.

Have your wallet and credit cards ready.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    milankey likes this.
  18. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Read the entire thread. A lot of truth to everyone's comments. I used to hang out at TT sometimes on Friday late afternoon with a few other friends who would stop by (2012-2013). They all quit going a few years ago and I haven't been back in at least two years either. A few of them were Scott's best customers and his "cash cows". I doubt he has been able to replace any of those folks. Many of the guys gave him a lot of constructive feedback to help him including setting up a website for free but he wasn't interested in anyone's observations or comments.

I never went over there until Ron closed Digital Daze. We went to school together and he ran an excellent store. I still miss that place. I ran into Ron several times at concerts and he seems to be doing fine. Buddy is working at the Exchange and seems to float from store to store.

BTW, George at Checkered records passed away a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what is going to happen to the store but he told me this summer his goal was to move all inventory by the end of 2015. He will really be missed.

19. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Tough area for sure. I was told he was robbed earlier this year by some teenagers. Hope it works out for him.

20. Chris C

I did not know that George had passed, so sorry to hear. I was just down there about a month ago and he and his buddy Tom were there, so it was nice to have a little closure. I'm guessing that Tom will either help sell off what was left or add it to his own oversized collection?

Nice to read the rest of your post and I'm sure that I've run into you somewhere along the line, at one of these stores!

21. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Merry Christmas Chris. I bet we have run in to each other !

I'll post here if I find out what is going on with Checkered Records.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

drove by the new time traveler a couple weeks ago and didn't even waste the time to go in.

hard to believe that i used to tout that place as one of the best record stores i was ever in.

scott deserves everything he gets.........you all know exactly what that means.

23. Chris C

Thanks and a belated Merry Christmas to you, as well!

Sounds like they are slowly planning a future (early 2016?), get together for the friends of George. I would like to go to that, although with George himself missing, it will not be the same. GOD only knows how long he fought the good fight, trying to beat his cancer and while I'm sorry that he has passed, it pleases me to know that he is now in peace.

24. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

Happy Holidays all.

I stopped into the "new" Time Traveler. Frankly, I received the rudest customer service ever! Some women was there standing next to the counter, rocking back and forth. I received frosty looks

I looked around and I have Amazon Prime and it is cheaper online, with free shipping. I can cross check anything right from my phone, as I'm sure many customers can and will do..

Plus there was no incentive, as a customer right there in the store. I support local businesses, however make it a positive special experience. Talk to me, tell me about items that maybe I cant find online, out of print or not made anymore.

Instead it was completely awkward. This store has competition, with the several other vinyl stores in the area. Luckily another customer came in so I could exit quickly.

I called the owner at Hollow Bone records for a rare item and he called me right back. He was so nice.

So, I don't know. I am sad I was going to buy something. I was looking for unique items for the holidays.

Also HBO has a new series "Vinyl" airing soon.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  25. NikoMimi

NikoMimi New Member

Has anyone been to the store recently? Wanted an update. I have not been since last year. New updates on the TT Facebook page, check it out, a few pictures. I do not understand the buying of old albums. How can you make a profit?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.