Box sets that didn't disappoint

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redeemer, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I will throw in Wes Montgomery The Complete Riverside Recordings. 12 CD's of great jazz guitar.

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

From The Top by the Carpenters: To my knowledge, this is the most comprehensive collection of Carpenters tracks that has been released. Contains 67 tracks arranged in chronological order, with many pre-Carpenters tracks (such as the Karen Carpenter single I'll Be Yours) from 1965 to 1982. In addition to the hits, it includes a number of non-hits (including Eve, Ordinary Fool, and When It's Gone), some jingles for Suntory Pop, and some outtakes for the Oldies Medley from Now And Then.

For me, one thing I like about the set is the way some tracks were remixed or restored. Two examples:
    • I Need To Be In Love: One of the irritants for me has been with this song on CD. Until the release of this set all versions of the song on CD omitted the opening piano solo (instead, beginning at 14 seconds into the song with the flute). Plus, the track was remixed to give a much more airy feel to the song, with Karen more isolated in the mix.
    • Goodbye To Love: As with the above track, Goodbye To Love was remixed in the same manner, with Karen more isolated in the mix with works well with this song. Of all of the versions of the song, this is my favorite mix of this song.
    Some gems from this set:
    • Looking For Love: A Karen Carpenter single that is the spiritual sibling to Goodbye To Love, both song featuring someone who has given up hope of finding love. The single also features a somewhat jazzy arrangement.
    • The Parting Of The Ways: Another Karen Carpenter single. One thing I like about the song is its slightly quirky arrangement, with an unusual mix of instruments that, to me, gives the song an interesting sound.

bob60 and tomvox like this.
  3. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

The first (and only) CD box set I bought was Heart and Soul by Joy Division, really nice set, lost it along the way.

4. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

Allman Brothers Live at The Fillmore East complete recordings new release done by Levenson

pool_of_tears likes this.
  5. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

SGene likes this.
  6. tomvox

tomvox Forum Resident

The Roy Orbison Bear Family Box Set for me. The usual top quality mastering and proper sleevenotes.

7. Oh yes! "20 Years of Jethro Tull" had it all back in 1988! And especially with regard to the then-unreleased studio material... I'm enthusiastic just thinking about it in retrospect... A total blast for any fan!

The radically edited live BBC "Minstrel" tracks were forgiven for the extra material from the "War Child", "Heavy Horses" and "Broadsword" sessions... All top-tier, finished productions!

I also got a huge kick out of the live at the BBC "Stormy Monday Blues", with Mick Abrahams... "All together too much! Jethro Tull, remember that name, friends!"

stevef, SGene, lucan_g and 1 other person like this.
  8. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I don't have the Gil Evans set. I've tried to get into that material but it just doesn't do it for me.

9. Joe Monteiro

Joe Monteiro Forum Resident

I've really enjoyed the Zeppelin deluxe re-issues (if you can consider them boxed sets).

Carlox, Clanceman and Roberto899 like this.
  10. The Stooges Fun House Sessions
    The Monkees S/T deluxe 3 CD box
    The 13th Floor Elevators box
    Radio Birdman box (most recent one)
    Sonic's Rendezvous Band box
    Everly Brothers Heartaches and Harmonies
    Bobby Fuller Never To Be Forgotten
    Buddy Holly What You Been A-Missin'
    Beatles Complete BBC Sessions
    Phil Spector box set
    Dylan Basement Tapes Complete
    Springsteen The Promise
    so many...

11. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Beatles Mono LP 2014.
    Buffalo Springfield (mark II)
    Pink Floyd Piper at the Gates of Dawn (3 CD)
    Blue Note - Uncompromising Expression
    XTC - Transistor Blast
    John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth - possibly my favourite ever compilation as it sounds and feels so much better than the original sources.
    Pentangle - The Time Has Come.

melstapler likes this.
  12. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'm sure they're listed in this thread somewhere but I have to say of all the Beach Boys box sets over the years I've enjoyed each one. Good Vibrations, Pet Sounds Sessions, Smile Sessions, Made in California.

pablo fanques likes this.
  13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Although the PBS boxed set is also comprehensive as it is a singles A & B collection.

14. BradOlson

Harry Smith Anthology
    The JSP Jelly Roll Morton box
    the JSP Louis Armstrong Hot Fives and Sevens box
    Bonanza cast boxed set (Bear Family)
    Vee Jay Records boxed set
    Patsy Cline Collection (MCA boxed set)
    Hank Williams-Original Singles Collection
    With My Little Ukulele In My Hand (Proper box with popular songs from the early 1900s to the mid 1950s featuring the ukulele)
    and others

Beech and jonathan like this.
  15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

He's not the only one whom enjoys the Buffalo box. I do, too.

16. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

the fall BBC is quite nice
    the sundazed VU mono box set is as well

17. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Miles Davis and Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings makes for some great holiday listening!
    Aside from the classic albums, there's the fun oddities like the Barracudas score and the Bob Dorough songs.
    If anything, there's too much from the Miles Ahead sessions, a bewildering array of rehearsals and outtakes.

18. Bear Family owns this thread. Some of theirs not named yet:
    The Connie Smith sets, Flatt & Scruggs sets, Carl Perkins sets, Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner set.

The Neko Case set.
    Syl Johnson complete mythology set.

19. kevin S

kevin S Active Member

Sandy Denny Boxful of Treasures
    My favorite box

Hutch and EddieMann like this.
  20. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I just received a copy of the Lee Hazlewood boxed set, "There's a Dream I've Been Saving." Four CDs, one DVD and a gorgeous 172-page, 12x12 hardcover book. Also comes with a flexidisc of studio chatter and a repro of one of Lee's embossed business cards.
    Normally sells for $150, but was on sale at Light In The Attic a few weeks ago for $30 and can still be had for just $50. Amazing package!

http://lightintheattic.net/

[​IMG]

21. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Sly & The Family Stone - Higher! from 2013.

swedgin, crispi and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

Ray Charles - The Birth of Soul: The Complete Atlantic Rhythm and Blues Recordings 1952-1959

There are more comprehensive sets and I'm not dismissing the rest of his career, but this set is flawless. I won't crib a review or cook up another way to gush about the recordings collected here. If you know, you don't need me sermonizing, if you don't, you need to listen to it... stat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  23. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

So many great ones listed, a few favorites off the top of my head

The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions (The big 5 CD box)
    Spooky Tooth - The Island Years 1967 -1974
    Roy Orbison - The Soul Of Rock And Roll
    Fleetwod Mac - Tusk (Super Deluxe Edition)
    Otis Redding - Soul Manifesto 1964-1970
    Elvis Presley - That's The Way It Is (Super Deluxe Version)
    The Kinks At The BBC
    Wings - Venus And Mars & Speed Of Sound Archive Collection sets
    The Pet Sounds Sessions
    Quicksilver Messenger Service - Culture Factory CD Vinyl Replica Collection
    The Hollies - The Nash Years/Changin' Times sets

A lot more I could list, but these are some favorites.

pablo fanques and pnreum like this.
  24. BradOlson

25. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Amazing set, but unfortunately terrible EQ choices for the pre-WWII tracks.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.