Yello - Oh Yeah - Processed Vocals?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benjamin Edge, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yello's 1985 hit "Oh, Yeah" (though it would chart here two years after its original release as a remix with additional lyrics, going to #51 in 1987) - the song you also hear at the end of the 1986 film Ferris Bueller's Day Off - has quite an infectious refrain of its title, but as cool as that sounds, that deep bass voice (by Dieter Meier, who had earlier directed Trio's "Da Da Da" video) might not be so natural as one may think, and that's why I want to ask you: wasn't Meier's vocal filtered (as in pitched down)?

~Ben

2. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

This is a serious question?

If so, the answer is: Oh Yeah

MikaelaArsenault and krock2009 like this.
  3. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

That Eventide Harmonizer did wonders back in the 80s, pitching up, pitching down, doubling, delay.

Oooooooh Yeaaaah!

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Although the original 1974 Harmonizer had limitations. You could only push it so far before it introduced too much distortion in the signal. Once they went to the Orville around 2000 or 2001, I think they started to sound a lot better. But in truth, you could get the same effects without much trouble within Pro Tools.

In 1987 for Yello, I would bet they did it all analog except for going through an Eventide H3000, which was state of the art back then. That was a pretty amazing box. I think there's some subharmonic synthesis going on in the Yello record, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.