ELO clear vinyl reissues 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PteroDon, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident Thread Starter

limited to 5000

Clear vinyl releases for classic era LP's , 3 titles up for preorder on Amazon sites.

What do you reckon , let's hope for an analogue source for these.

The titles are;
    Out of the Blue
    A New World Record
    Eldorado

2. I wouldn't hold your breath on these being analogue-sourced...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Vinyl Dude and cmi like this.
  3. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

That's really nice news! Hope there will new unreleased stuff from true ELO .

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

So they release the horribly compressed Hi-rez, now they are releasing the old remasters on clear vinyl, then hopefully next year we are getting what we should have gotten in the first place? WTF??

FashionBoy and Dino like this.
  5. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

2015?

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

These are on CDs Music on Vinyl, so you are getting digital music on a pretty piece of plastic.

If you care more about sound than a pretty piece of plastic, I'd wait or find a good sounding original issue.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  7. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident Thread Starter

These new ones are on Sony , not MOV . I've already got several copies of all of these . But I couldn't resist Eldorado & ANWR . I need a good copy of the latter & am a literal sucker for the former!!
    I've a Japanese King Records pressing of OOTB which I don't think can be beaten .
    I know , I should probably cancel my preorder.....

8. doubleknotspy

doubleknotspy Forum Resident

Let us know how they sound when you get yours, provided you don't cancel your order. I could use upgrades for New World Record and Out of the Blue.

9. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Think I will cancel given the above

Shame , my only copy of ANWR sounds emense and was the first record I ever bought. But I need a decent clean version now:-(

lightbulb likes this.
  10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

MoV uses what they're provided. They've even used original UK plates when available, like with Bowie's Heathen. This "CD pressed to vinyl" slam is getting old.

11. The difference in this particular case is that we have an official figure providing confirmation of the exact sources used, and based on these I've no reason to believe we'll get much - if any - improvement over what is currently out there...

12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The MoV reissue of A New World Record doesnt sound a lot different from the original issue but on better vinyl. This is one case where i prefer the reissue as the pressing was much better. I reckon these reissues will use the MoV plates as a lot of the Sony legacy reissues have done recently. This isnt a bad thing trust me, the ELO MoV reissues are quite highly regarded, especially Eldorado.

Stereolove, Vinyl Dude and Ben Adams like this.
  13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

And with these particular ELO LPs, at least in the US, finding copies on quiet vinyl is nearly impossible. I went through five OOTB's before I finally found a keeper, at a total cost of $25 across the board. I would have gladly paid a few bucks more if it had saved me the trouble the first time. I'm on my third copy of ANWR and the vinyl noise floor has been ridiculously high on each one.

(People with UK copies, your mileage may vary.)

To be fair, I am glad I finally have a clean SR/2 OOTB, but what a pain in the ass it was getting there.

c-eling likes this.
  14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

With the amount of new vinyl put out there today that's sourced practically entirely via a digital means, quibbling about the provenance of this is beyond me. If it sounds good, it sounds good right? Sticking in daft provisos that it needs to be analogue sourced leaves me nonplussed. If the analogue version sucked would you still buy it? Methinks not.

That said, ELO released some nice coloured vinyl originals (I had the green vinyl Face the Music and the blue vinyl Out of the Blue) and they sounded fine too. That said, mint copies will be hard to find.

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same boat as you Ben, took me 20 years and three to find a quiet SR/2
    The MOV editions of these three titles are nice, and agree. Since they are the exact same titles, probably the MOV stampers/master used for these clear editions

Ben Adams likes this.
  16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You were more patient than I was. It's one of my favorite albums of all time, so I think I bought a copy a year over the last five years. :) It was easy as they were all $5 each ... but it adds up when you stop and think! ;)

c-eling likes this.
  17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I bought a copy of Eldorado today as this was the one i had wanted to pick up. I can confirm that this reissue uses the MOV stampers....a lot of these legacy reissues do use MoV stampers.

The numbering is via a round white sticker...i wish this was embossed but you cant have everthing. im gonna spin it tommorow. Ive heard good reports on this MoV reissue in particular...

The pressing is flat and the clear vinyl looks nice.

Ben Adams, Johnny Reb and c-eling like this.
  18. Sadcafe

Amazon uk put back my delivery. Just received OOTB and looks ok. No space ship inserts. Production ok but not as good as original vinyl. Fairly flat but not perfect. A few pops and clicks especially at the start of each side. A good release for now but not a great one. Sounds very similar to CD version.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

My copy of Eldorado has a prominent tick for about 1 minute at the start so its going back. Im not that bothered as, although it sounds pretty good, i found A new world record on MOV to sound a lot bigger.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  20. Sadcafe

My copy of New World record a bit staticky but otherwise flat and a nice version. Not quite as Jaw dropping as original but nice to have a cleanish copy.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  21. ThatBigBeatSound

ThatBigBeatSound Active Member

Disagree. If it's the CD source but simply pressed onto vinyl, is there even a chance of it sounding as good as the CD? What's the point -- I'll just buy the CD and have the better generation of that release. If I'm dropping money on vinyl, it needs to sound great, not good. And if I'm going to pay audiophile prices for vinyl, I want to know the sonic trail, so to speak.

forthlin, Johnny Reb and kwadguy like this.
  22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I couldn't agree more. Equally though, good luck with that.

FJC1966 likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup. CD (or anything but very high resolution digital)-> Vinyl combines all the deficiencies of digital with all the deficiencies of vinyl.

24. I just picked up the clear vinyl Sony of El Dorado. My jet copy is well worn. Whatever the source this records sounds awesome. It's my favorite ELO album and it's crystal clear .

That is all.

25. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

I just received the clear vinyl reissues of both ANWR and OOTB, and both are quiet, flat and sonically, absolutely superb. Which leads me to not give a rats at what masters were used.... I'll get Eldorado now and hope Sony/Legacy keeps them coming... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.