"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheezCache

CheezCache Forum Resident

Brother_Rael basically said it, Mike Lewis/ John Miner. First, there was plenty of crap back then, we've just had enough time to forget about it, leaving only the good stuff to be remembered. You're not going to find much in used record shops today because they simply aren't marketable; whose going to sell or buy poor albums that nobody's ever heard of? Besides, if someone's collection of 70's vinyl consists mostly of crap, they're probably not going to feel motivated enough to sell it, rather, they'll just throw it in the garbage. So it's hard to find bad stuff from that far back without explicitly looking for it, because it kind of just fades away into oblivion. Consequently, it seems like the standard was much higher back then than it really was.

Secondly, the public's expectations have changed in regards to talent, so the mainstream is not the place to look. Back in the 70's, musicianship was much more marketable, so the industry capitalized on it. The best bands got major label deals and the associated marketing/promotion. But (thanks to MTV) image soon replaced musicianship as a selling point. (I think this cycle has gone on throughout the history of popular music, and we just happen to riding out the end of an "image" phase just now.) Consequently, artists more interested in the music than the money have had to go underground and won't be talked about in the mainstream. Your best bets are to search the far and dimly lit corners of the internet, and actually ask people with similar interests what good new stuff they've found. There's no less good music out there, you just have to work harder and in different ways to find it.

For proof, I'll throw this out: since you obviously dig heavy classic progressive, check out Zletovsko's self titled album released in 2013. It's only available on iTunes or as a cd import in the U.S., but I liked it so much I gladly bought both versions. The mastering is rather loud, but the music is as jaw dropping and experimental as classic, high energy 70's prog. Take a listen.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I disagree. Currently everything that is being done has been done before. Back in the 70's there was still things that have not been done yet. Big difference.

anduandi likes this.
  3. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Today, OK Computer might be held in higher regard than Dark Side Of The Moon.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  4. I can't imagine that everything has been done. Today I could start 11 new bands that would have very unique ideals.. or tell the band members, let's try something like this..

l. A rock band integrating the sounds of India in a more exploratory way than has been done in the past.
    2. A great blues guitarist (think Robin Trower) but against a 4 piece horn section with a bassist that also sings lead but has two female vocalist also.
    3. An art band like King Crimson but integrating a much deeper use of analog keyboards into the compositions.
    4. A high energy band like the Rolling Stones, but with a jazzier drummer and two (Mick Jagger's)
    5. A guitarist with strong 60's jazz chops (Wes Montgomery style) but exploring odd time signatures in depth keeping the clean hollow body guitar tone against a Fender Rhodes piano.
    6. A band like Led Zeppelin but with a vocalist staying in the deep bass or baritone range, singing rich textures in a more patient way across the music.
    7. A band that explores musical theater more in a residency setting. (29 bands here)
    8. A vocal palate similar to the "Supremes" but singing over a band that sounds more like "Chicago"
    9. A surf band that sings about environmental issues not just chicks, beer, sunsets and wax.
    10. A Reggae band that makes 5/4 meter their signature sound.
    11. A band that plays with the complexity of Gentle Giant but has spine tingling angelic vocalists.

Should I stop? No, it hasn't all been done, not even close.

I think it's a cop out to think it's all been done. There is so much room for originality. Just more exploring in odd meters… it's been done, but not much compared to 4 x 4 time.

Ringmaster_D likes this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Can we stay on topic instead of discussing the very narrow view and knowledge some have of contemporary music or what constitutes good music? Maybe start your own thread or join the dozens that already exist on this forum...

6. Absolutely, things have moved off topic to some degree, but Tales certainly epitomizes a lot these concepts. How things were done differently, analog recording techniques, staying open to cutting new ground, and reaching for very high ideals. Didn't Roger Dean bring in artwork into the studio when they were making the recording? Should Steve Wilson surround himself with original Roger Dean artworks while undertaking the task? As silly as that might be to some, I think it would be very much consistent with the ideals originally put forth by the work.
    Doing that could affect the way he would choose to mix it sonically. It would be interesting to ask him about that.

7. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Tales went way over my head when I was a teenager. The songs were too long, too complex. I didn't get it. There were parts of it that I liked, but overall it was beyond me. More than 30 years later still feel that way about The Ancient and The Remembering - too out there and ponderous. But Revealing and Ritual? Wow - absolutely sublime. Some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard within a rock context.

How do Yes fans feel about this live version of Revealing?

I don't think Steve Wilson's remix will change the way I feel about the album as a whole, but can't wait to hear what he's able to bring out of the two songs I do love. His work on Relayer was amazing.

Love,
    Billy

JimW, Zephead2112 and JediJoker like this.
  8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I'm curious why people think this is still in progress:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...n-s-Remix-Work&p=276747&viewfull=1#post276747

whiskeyvengeance likes this.
  9. Saganomics

Saganomics Billions (and billions)

Hanging a lot of hope on the words "as things stand" I suppose. The wording doesn't seem to indicate it's never going to happen, sounds more like it could be subject to change. Howe seems to be in support of it but whether that means anything is another matter entirely. I'm choosing to see the topographic ocean as half full, at least for now.

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It'll be released. Would make no sense for it not to be. "Relayer" was for pete's sake.

qtrules, superstar19 and JediJoker like this.
  11. brimuchmuze

I'll likely happen eventually, but it seems all this has been stirred up by something Howe heard in 2013 and was subsequently put aside.

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Very good description!
    I really like this album, but mostly in the context of road trips out in the middle of nowhere where I have time/opportunity to let it soak into me. So actually not sure that this excites me, since I really don't care about stereo remixes offhand and am not set up for 5.1 in the car...

13. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

It's a strange concept to me as a musician and engineer. It's rare (maybe less-so now) that a mix is ever captured exactly the way an artist intends, particularly with deadlines and other pressures. There is also a point where sometimes between writing, arranging, recording, performing pieces of music that you get to the mix and you just get it done as acceptably as possible. Or sometimes you don't realize until later that you didn't capture what you were actually going for.

I love the concept of a remix when the original mix is always there for listener as well. I think music, by nature of what it is, is more than just the artists vision. (Even though as an artist myself, I obviously feel that is the most important part! :) )

yesstiles, anduandi, JimW and 3 others like this.
  14. Since 2013 was at least 2 years ago, if anyone has any updates, please let us know!

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

There was also a query since then on a forum from the production team about how to have the Blu-ray set up, so it is more than just one instance of second hand reporting that a mix was in the works.

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The mix was finished and discs authored early last year.
    Everything's ready, it is just awaiting release. Don't know what the hold up is.

17. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

this is an example of something that can make me equal parts angry and happy, all at the same time.

Saganomics likes this.
  18. How do Yes fans feel about this live version of Revealing?

Billy[/QUOTE]

As I have said before, like a broken record, the 70's was a way of doing things. The obvious difference here is the keyboard palate. The digital keyboard rig doesn't have the texture and the tonality of an all analog rig (however inconvenient that might be). Alan has changed his drum sound considerably also by choice. I think the concert tom set up he used in the 70's gave the kit a much more open sound with more attack which gave a much more visceral sound and feel to the rhythm section in contrast to the beautiful melodic harmonies.

I like that Steve still plays very clean. I forgive the starkness of the sound simply because of the digital recording. Howe's guitar tones need to land on analog tape first before any conversions go on.

As far as the performance, Anderson sounds a bit campy at times on this piece, but I respect he is not using a teleprompter. He's not singing as beautifully as he did as a younger man. Fair enough though. I still prefer him over the new guys by a mile.

Steve and Chris sound good. Alan isn't playing anything like he was in the 70's. He's simplifying things, too much in my opinion, but if it's age restricted, it's understood and accepted.

19. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

Whatever the case or cause, it's not because it's a remix.

20. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Agree with most of the specific observations here.

Overall, this performance/recording has a sparse and slightly sterile quality. Keyboards notwithstanding, it has an almost "unplugged" feel for much of it. Not sure if that's really true or if it's just my perception vs. the original.

21. brimuchmuze

Why is SW suggesting it was work in progress in 2013 and never finished?

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't know. Maybe a band member changed his mind at the last minute and wanted more work done. Mind you, I'm talking in any official capacity.

23. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

According to his news letter it has been completed but it is currently shelved. The core catalogue is owned by a major UK comany that is under licence to a smaller UK company that owns the rights to it. The band really has no say in its release. So as it stands there are no more releases planned after Fragile Im afraid. Bummer. We can only hope this will change in time.

24. brimuchmuze

Where does it say it's completed?

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...n-s-Remix-Work&p=276747&viewfull=1#post276747

See also:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...r-Yes-reissues&p=257153&viewfull=1#post257153

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...r-Yes-reissues&p=257166&viewfull=1#post257166

Hard to understand how this could be finished with comments such as the above?

DoctorO likes this.
  25. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Oh well, when it gets released it will get released. But what I am disappointed at though is Geoff Downes (and Trevor Horn too assumingly) opposing Drama getting remixed. Jeez how about those who wish to listen to this album in 5.1?! I just haven't been a fan of Downes these past several years but putting that aside - love the Remixes interview with Wilson describing what's on the pipeline though.

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/an-update-on-steven-wilsons-remix-work/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.