R.I.P David Bowie: 8th January 1947 - 10th January 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

You're right. I don't pay attention to sports. I could tell it was some big game.

I suppose it's no surprise that ET/Insider treated it like any other celebrity death. Shows like that are the worst of the worst.

But the whole thing makes me feel like I'm in the wrong place. Bowie absolutely deserves tributes on the radio, television and in print/web media. I love hearing about the airport playing Bowie on repeat. That's beautiful and poignant. And I'm more of a casual fan.

OldSoul and Soundman like this.
  2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

My entire wall on Facebook and Instagram feed was all Bowie..American, Brits, European..his loss was felt worldwide.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  3. overdrivethree

Well social media reaction is one thing. But as far as the media in general goes, it was lead story yesterday morning, and that's it. I don't know what the 24-hour news cycle is like in other places, but suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that Bowie gets his morning of coverage, and then onto the next thing. That's what I mean.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Further proof that music is no longer the 'be all, end all' for MOST of the American public!

driverdrummer likes this.
  5. You may check my post #1355, on page 54 I think.

6. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

St Albans Cathedral, near where I grew up, posted this on their Twitter yesterday in tribute. Beautiful.

OldSoul, brettster808, alanb and 2 others like this.
  7. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

8. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Random notes:
    I'm in Florida doing presentation graphics for a convention, and the speaker yesterday (a man in his mid 60s) began his speech by announcing to the audience that he was "emotionally fragile today after the sad news", then had the audio guy play "Heroes" before he would start his presentation. Never saw that before in the 30 years I'm doing this job. On the other side of the coin, my 30 year old daughter (who was lucky enough to have seen him on the Reality tour with me, part of her "education") has been sending me links to Bowie articles for the last 24 hours.

OldSoul, Dino, bleachershane and 4 others like this.
  9. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

10. overdrivethree

Yep. I think I posted here yesterday that not even VH1 Classic could be bothered to do anything. They just had a crawl that ran across the bottom of the screen every few minutes. That kind of says it all. And it's frustrating because an artist of Bowie's stature deserves more, whether Americans care about music anymore or not (and I agree, they mostly don't).

11. marmooskapaul

marmooskapaul Forum Resident

I don't know...in Indiana the sports talk shows had Bowie music playing and talking about his death...

Paul

12. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I was surprised and a bit saddened at the lack of Bowie presence on local radio yesterday, but I think that's a reflection on the piss-poor state of rock radio in the Philadelphia area than a lack of admiration by the local music fans.

bleachershane and vince like this.
  13. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I've already posted - but an additional thought or two.

Last night my wife and I watched the Lazarus video. At the end I had to walk away - in tears. I felt depressed (still do) and just down for the rest of the day. I feel as if I had lost a friend - even though I never personally met Bowie - and as if part of my childhood died. He was a big influence in my pre/early teen years and also changed the way I look at people and art. Heck most of the music I listen to can be traced in some way to his body of work.

geogaddi83, JannL, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  14. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I have owned "CHANGESBOWIE" for about 15 years. Only played it a handful of times.

But, I "get it". He was an icon. He was an original and will never be replaced.

How he kept his illness underwraps and actually turned his death into his last artistic statement amazes me.

bleachershane and sunspot42 like this.
  15. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I don't think this was posted, but my apologies if so. Almost right after hearing of Bowie's death, I wondered what Peter Frampton would say, given their history. Peter's dad Owen was an inspirational art teacher at Beckenham Technical School in Bromley, Kent, and an influence on the early career of his student David Jones (Bowie). He gave Peter his first guitar lessons and taught Bowie art. When still in school, both Frampton's and Bowie's bands would play functions, and in between classes the two would jam on Buddy Holly tunes. Here's what I just found online from Peter on his classmate and friend Dave Jones:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6836566/peter-frampton-on-david-bowie-friend-mentor

“The ’80s were a difficult period for me,” said Frampton. “It wasn’t until my dear friend David Bowie got me out on the road for the ‘Glass Spider’ tour and on his ‘Never Let Me Down’ record and reintroduced me as a guitar player around the world. I can never thank him enough for believing in me, and seeing past the image of the satin pants and big hair to the guitar player he first met when we played together in school.”

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    thgord, ConnieGuitar, drasil and 11 others like this.
  16. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

RIP! This sad news make me want to play some his vinyl albums again.

zebop likes this.
  17. marmooskapaul

marmooskapaul Forum Resident

I had my 15 year old daughter listening to Bowie..last week..The Man Who Sold The World..and Blackstar CD.
    Last night she ..watched the video for Lazarus and Blackster. She likes dark off the trail music...she has a new King...in Bowie. She just thought what she listened too was dark.moody..till she heard/saw those two...lol..her words.."what did I just watch"..in amazement. Wanted to dress like Ziggy Stardust for school...but it got snowed out today..lol

Paul

JannL likes this.
  18. tootull

19. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

VH1 played Bowie all day on Sunday, 01/10: the movie, Ziggy Stardust, an hour of classic videos, Bowie Storytellers, and The Man Who...

Did they get advance notice of the gravity of Bowie's illness?

20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Same here - I've been listening to the Five Years box since it came out, but not that seriously. I was already familiar with Ziggy & Aladdin Sane but not the others, aside from the hits. Yesterday I started really listening to them and will continue this week (and I am sure continuing much longer). I'm sad but looking forward to discovering all of his music that I had missed so far.

JannL and Moshe like this.
  21. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Depends on what media you're reading. The NY Times has featured the story---multiple Bowie stories, actually---prominently, and has continued to do that today.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  22. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

No, it was his birthday and he had a massively promoted new album out. Everybody was playing Bowie last weekend.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm going to play Cure cover of YA later!

Rooster_Ties and Billy Infinity like this.
  24. tootull

25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.