NEW David Bowie album: Blackstar (January 8, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

A deluxe version of Blackstar is inevitable but can someone tell me why I should buy the album all over again for the sake of 5 new tracks? Please join me in refusing to be taken in by this con and then hopefully one day record companies will have learnt their lesson.

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Do you think David Bowie wasn't aware of what he was releasing as an album and hasn't left clear instructions on future releases?

Blackstar works perfectly with its 7 tracks - this is the pure album, planned and released as intended by Bowie as his final curtain closer.

On the other hand, he has also been renowned for releasing extra, deluxe, supernewinflatedenhancednowwithaddedchocolate versions of his albums, so I fully expect the legacy will be milked by his estate and record company. Bowie himself will have signed off on that though, no doubt about it.

Will I buy into it? Before his death, no I would have been reluctant to fork out. But now, given I have a spine of jelly, yeah more than likely. Or I'll simply 'acquire' the additional material by non-financial means if my wallet's feeling light at the time. Either way, I'll check out the tracks and soak it up in the wave of posthumous reappraisal. The prospect of no more 'fresh' albums in the future will make a meal of preserved material a lot more palatable.

People here are spending stupid money, blood sweat and tears to secure a see-through version of Blackstar, and that contains zero new tracks compared to the black one. Good luck with your mission, but I fear you may be alone.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Lost In The Flood and oldturkey like this.
  3. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

That is your right, me, I will gladly buy the album again. I just want more Bowie, at this point, I would be happy just to get one more new song that I hadn't heard before of his.

Wilco likes this.
  4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

He's just trying to justify buying the less desirable product from a collector's standpoint.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Good thing everyone here has all the vintage Bowie on vinyl that they need. And those that were not around to get originals had the chance to get the recent box set. So everyone is cover well on vinyl and CDs too right!

I mean there have been threads and thread on collecting David on CD and LPs. It's all good for us we had plenty of time.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Nothing like the clear one for historical piece pressed BEFORE his death. The black one will never be the same to collectors.

But I guess you could tell yourself that the clear one had too many pops or ticks (some said this was true), just so you can sleep at night.

Me, I won't touch a black copy and will wait for some more clear copies. If clear does not show up, I won't buy it.

ted321 likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I chose the black vinyl intentionally because I thought it made the black star blacker and was more fitting to the overall package.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Your $500 gamble! Joking.

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

None more black.

scotth and oldturkey like this.
  10. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

I'm more than happy to spend money to get the extra tracks. I just resent having to buy the whole album again. When the deluxe version of TND came it was selling for something like £20. The reason for that is it includes the original album, which most people who are interested in buying the album would have already bought it the first time around.

What I'm asking for is for the extra tracks to be made available on their own for a sensible price.

As for those folk spending stupid money on a clear vinyl edition - I think they may well have more money than sense.

In reference to my comments above - can't you see this as a big con? I don't blame DB for this. It's record company tactics for sure.

I also believe Blackstar is the perfect length and a perfect album. I would not like to see it filled with outtakes.

11. Group of One

Group of One Forum Resident

I think the "Leon" three part suite is right up there among the best, segues and all.

I'd love that to have a release proper. I think it would blow people's minds.

NightGoatToCairo and oldturkey like this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

No, you're right, I really blew it.

I COULD HAVE BEEN ME! YEAH, IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    quicksrt and Vinyl Addict like this.
  13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I agree! Though I must admit I hate the black on black printing in the booklet.

Christopher B likes this.
  14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

If you can see me (through your copy of Blackstar), I can see you (and your wallet crying).

15. Wilco

Wilco Forum Resident

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. You will only buy it if you can find a clear one? Wow, his music must be really important to you.

JeffMo, David.m, ArpMoog and 19 others like this.
  16. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I couldn't give a damn about clear or coloured vinyl, black is what vinyl was originally and always be for me, of course the music comes first.

17. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

A disc having bonus tracks doesn't change the core of the original album unless they're incorporated into the main tracklist, which will most likely not happen. There's a stop button on all cd players and mediaplayers, you know.

18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Even if it was incorporated, how can anyone say it wouldn't be any good. No one has even heard the songs yet. Kinda reminds me of the Endless River thread.

19. marblesmike

I wouldn't go that far. I was planning on buying just the clear one but once he died and I received it that afternoon, I decided to just hold on to it (might frame it) and got a black copy for playing.

quicksrt likes this.
  20. marblesmike

No, I paid $32 for mine the day the preorders went up.

21. spencertherover

spencertherover New Member

Is this to be classed as a masterpiece? Or is it being overhyped because of his death a bit like Double Fantasy was for Lennon.. I personally think it's a masterpiece alive or dead.. Superb pressing too.

Yorick and Mr. H like this.
  22. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Perhaps the next tracks are about the afterlife.

23. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Not sure why all the love for coloured vinyl. Coloured vinyl is generally noisier than black vinyl and better sounding - imo (to stop any arguments)

Black for me every day of the week.

David.m and Robert C like this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Me too! Though those clear Ryko pressings were damn attractive!

25. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I bought a second copy of the clear on Saturday because I knew I'd be playing it to death and wanted a backup copy. Should be delivered today but I think I won't open it either and probably get a frame for it too. It does seem kind of special now. Now if I could only find a black copy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.