R.I.P David Bowie: 8th January 1947 - 10th January 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yes, I agree - I was gearing up for several more years of Bowie releases, maybe at least one more tour. There is a certain similarity with Lennon in that this happens at a time when many of us were expecting a fresh burst of activity. And then the damn plug is pulled out of the wall.

It's astonishing to think of what must have been done to keep his condition secret for over a year. I didn't think people could keep such things secret anymore, but he pulled it off.

2. dkmonroe

I read some remarks from long ago where Bowie ribbed Elton a little bit for ripping him off, but it was quite gentle and good natured, at least by today's standards.

3. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

4. dkmonroe

It's weird to think of it this way, but in a certain sense, the death of anyone is really about those of us who are left to deal with it. Bowie is now beyond our sympathy and compassion - he certainly would have had a ton of it if he had made his illness public - but the rest of us have to take care of one another to the extent that it's necessary.

5. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

RIP old friend. Hammersmith Odeon 1973 - where it all ended and all started.

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

7. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/62035/thread

Every man has a black star
    A black star over his shoulder
    And when a man sees his black star
    He knows his time, his time has come

Black star don't shine on me, black star
    Black star keep behind me, black star
    There's a lot of living I gotta do
    Give me time to make a few dreams come true
    Black star

Robin L, Rooster_Ties, drasil and 9 others like this.
  8. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Rodgers is a great interviewee and raconteur, always worth a read/listen.

9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Great tune! Never heard it before!

Rooster_Ties, Geir and tootull like this.
  10. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

11. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

The show is happening. It was planned as a tribute before his passing. Now, I believe the show could be the greatest tribute show of all-time. Who wouldn't want to take part in the event?

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. jippy

jippy Forum Resident

This morning I was remembering when John Lennon died. I was 10 years old at the time and literally had NO idea who he was. I remember my teacher had written a Lennon quote on the chalkboard and most of the faculty was in shock for a couple of days. As a kid, I could sense that whoever this person was, he meant a lot to these older people. When I awoke to the news of Bowie's passing on Monday morning, I almost cried. It was like losing an old friend. My kids are 14 and 16 and have some idea of who Bowie is, but today I realized the significance of it. Lennon was a bit before my time and when I hit my teens, searching for meaning and something to make sense of and hold onto, I found David Bowie. As I've grown older, I certainly understand and appreciate the sheer creativity and genius that Lennon brought to the generation before me. I now know what all those teachers were feeling when they lost Lennon...

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Like I posted way back in the thread, I accidentally saw the headline alert on my phone at 3 a.m. here Monday morning and couldn't go back to sleep. The rest of the day was an emotional fog. I had a day off work so got things done at home. Listened to BBC Radio 2 and 6 via streaming, played the Bowie LPs that I own and took care of things.

It wasn't until later in the afternoon when I popped in the Live Aid DVD and watched Bowie's set that I finally started to cry. I felt like I could start to move on and accept the loss.

The following morning I played "Peter and the Wolf" with the Philadelphia Orchestra and Bowie narrating for my daughter. To my surprise I again become very emotional as soon as I heard his voice. Bowie recorded "Space Oddity" the year I was born, and for the rest of my life he brought amazing music and art into our world.

I've been trying to think about the last time an artist's death (I refuse to call him a 'celebrity') affected me on such an emotional level, and the only person I can come up with is Jim Henson. Henson filled my world with beauty and art, and of course worked with Bowie at some point. Their art were very different, but in many ways the same. The voice of the outsiders made great. The belief that love and kindness will always win over violence and negativity. Two people with limitless imagination who gave happiness and joy to countless of us.

I still miss Jim Henson, and no doubt I will always miss David Bowie.

dan c

14. alanb

alanb Senior Member

WOW - obviously DB would be aware of this.........thx for posting...

15. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

For me he's the biggest musical loss of my life,( (I'm 46) no one comes close, I will probably feel v sad when Leonard Cohen dies (if its before me!) but can't think of anyone else in music that I feel so affected by, I'd also add I was shocked at John Peels death , not a musician of course but a huge contributer to popularising bands like Joy Division that I love. I appreciate giants like Dylan and Springsteen but don't feel a big connection to them.

Dan C, Noise Annoys and bleachershane like this.
  16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

My comment was not intended to be taken literally....in a similar way to much of what is published in The Sun newspaper...

Bowie Fett likes this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Connected to your link,
    Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon made some interesting connections. http://pitchfork.com/news/62878-thurston-moore-reflects-on-david-bowie/

More here, Will Butler’s was nice.
    http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/talkhouse-contributors-remember-david-bowie/

18. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Bowie said something like "And to all my imitators, and we know who we are don't we Elton?"

Pretty harmless remark.

Rooster_Ties and dkmonroe like this.
  19. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I saw humor all over it. I think my response may have looked/sounded too stern.

bobcat and Solace like this.
  20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am not directing this at anyone in particular but it should not go unrecognized how groundbreaking those Bowie Bonds were. I distinctly remember saying in 1997 wow, what will they securitize next. I don't think any such deal came close to that one. http://www.wsj.com/articles/david-bowie-the-man-who-sold-the-worldand-bonds-1452542807

rbichamp, Rooster_Ties, Rob C and 2 others like this.
  21. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

Madonna paid tribute at her Houston concert last night.

22. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

Amazing how expensive Bowie vinyl got in such a short time (discogs) and how many copies of his records surfaced in the last few days!

Shak Cohen likes this.
  23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Two personal observations:
    1) I was just thinking about my "meagre" collection of Mr. Bowie's vast catalogue , consisting of:
    A) David Live, bought when I was going to school in Toronto. It was big when it came out.
    B) The Singles: 1969-1993, on Ryko. HMV in Canada used to have this deal: you had a card, you bought twenty CDs over a certain price and got your card stamped, you turned in your filled card and you were able to buy a CD up to a certain value ($24.99, I think). When I turned in one filled card, I drew a total blank as to what I should get. I saw The Singles and chose this two-disc collection, not having any of the albums that the singles were selected.
    What a glorious choice I made!
    2) Not to be overlooked was Mr. Bowie's penchant for having tremendous lead guitarists as part of his recordings and music scene.

JeffMo likes this.
  24. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I just don't have the words.

[​IMG]

3rd Uncle Bob, MHP and Solace like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.