NEW David Bowie album: Blackstar (January 8, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

You can have mine for a couple of grand and a scotch egg.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  2. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I don't understand the whole created collectable thing.
    To me, a collectable is something rare because of circumstance, like age...for example, an original book printing of Dickens, or an original painting, or a classic car, or an antique something or other.
    A collectable created by an industry for the sole purpose of making unreasonable profit has no meaning.
    I don't mean to offend, and to each their own and all that, of course. Personally, I don't buy into it.

ArpMoog, Yorick, Rooster_Ties and 9 others like this.
  3. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

No need to justify anything, I buy vinyl records, not Barnes & Noble memorabilia...

It's pretty obvious that a collection missing the main black vinyl edition is much more flawed than a collection missing the clear vinyl edition, so I can't see how the clear vinyl is the more collectible, unless it's a B&N artifact collection, or a Clear Vinyl Only collection or something...

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The clear vinyl doesn't have any surface noise at all. At least my copy is quiet.

ted321 likes this.
  5. SergioRZ

It's like those Newbury colored vinyl LP's... who cares about Newbury Comics? Are those mega-collectible items for the Newbury Comics collector or what? It's like, outside the USA, nobody even knows NC exists ;)

Musiko likes this.
  6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Collecting is just a mild form of autism.

Said the man who posts on internet forums as if they are real life.

Yorick, Smxx777, Ash76 and 5 others like this.
  7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

My downloaded copy of the album is full of surface noise. 7 glorious tracks of it.

8. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Perfect post, I agree whole-heatedly. Those behind these 'collectable' editions must be laughing all the way to the bank, knowing a certain type of collector with lap up ANY release. As I said earlier, they could just change the font on 1000 LPs and people would RUSH order a copy, then come to sites like this to brag about it... Collectability as a modern capitalist driven sickness. I don't mean to offend either, but I think it's gotten beyond a joke now. Witness also the 'collectable' 7" picture-disc singles that are around £10 a go here in the UK. The profit must be huge!

SergioRZ, Jim B., Robert C and 2 others like this.
  9. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Presumably been said before, but the artwork for Blackstar is stunning (I only have the CD).

Black on black does make the lyrics hard to read, but so stylish!

Tim

10. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

The music industry is supposed to be struggling to make money these days, so you can understand it, but what annoys me is the expensive reissues of albums with just one new track, like the new Bowie at the Beeb vinyl box, so hardcore fans are almost forced to shell out lots of cash. I've pre-ordered it myself but I don't know whether I did it for that one track. I might have.
    Anyway, Blackstar extra should be available as individual tracks download if and when it comes out shouldn't it?

sparkmeister likes this.
  11. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

If you want clear, so be it, if you want black so be it, I don't necessarily understand the not getting it at all if I can't get clear thing, but whatever. Just get it somehow because this album needs to be number one all over the world and everyone needs to hear it.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It is both too soon to class it as a masterpiece and too soon to dismiss its merits.

sparkmeister likes this.
  13. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

Has anyone customised the sleeve yet like me? Take the vinyl out of the plastic inner. Place vinyl into a quality protective inner. Return plastic inner to sleeve. Take out booklet and place behind plastic inner. Place whole lot into protective sleeve with with vinyl sitting out of sleeve as with all my albums. Looks very cool!

marblesmike likes this.
  14. SergioRZ

Definitely remove the LP record from that hard plastic sleeve and place it in a proper inner.

I put the booklet inside that hard plastic sleeve, and into the front flap of the gatefold, Bowie facing the outside of the star ;)

15. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Ha. Good point.

16. helter

helter Forum Resident

Before Lennon died Starting Over the first single was already in the Top Ten.
    Double Fantasy was my favorite Lennon period and his first album in almost 6 years at that time an unprecedented long break by a major rock artist.
    Never saw the album as overhyped ....
    Lennon wrote 7 songs ....3 of them were Top Ten hits. Good stuff ... Better than REO Speedwagon which ultimately replaced Double Fantasy from the number 1 position.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Nah. I'm keeping it in the the packaging it came with, as it came.

**** it, its just a record - if it breaks I'll get another one or live with my digital copy.

Who wants to kick me first?

Mazzy likes this.
  18. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Eventually there will be a Limited Numbered Blackstar Extra Deluxe Edition in a box with free bandage and two different size eye buttons.

Ash76, Lost In The Flood and tin ears like this.
  19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Everyone comes in a limited edition.

Allen Michael and Christopher B like this.
  20. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Even before he died, many people (myself included) and reviewers were considering it a top notch piece of work. I mean, just read this thread from the point where the album leaked to the point where we learned he died. Almost unanimous praise. Of course, there was that one guy who said that Bowie sounds like Yoko Ono on this record and that it belongs in the trash. :crazy:

21. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

I333I likes this.
  22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Well, doesn't that just give it another reference to Double Fantasy? ;)

23. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I didn't buy it from B&N. I bought it from the Bowie store.

violetvinyl likes this.
  24. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

There is an unmastered digital download "out there" that sounds a lot better than the released compressed digital version.

Dino likes this.
  25. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yes, and isn't clear vinyl just vinyl without the dye--including black? That's one reason the Classic Clarity 45 pressings were on clear vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.