Universal players that don't read the SACD layer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fortherecord, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Do you have your player hooked up to your TV via an HDMI cable? My Oppo doesn't play SACD
    when the HDMI cable is fully hooked up to the TV, because of Sony's proprietary SACD protection
    technology. When I loosen the HDMI connection to the TV just enough without it falling off, only
    then will the SACD layer play...

2. johnscousin

johnscousin Forum Resident

I could be an alignment issue.
    Maybe a technician could help

jc

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Time to get an OPPO and have yourself a MERRY CHRISTMAS :laugh:

SKean likes this.
  4. IanL

IanL Senior Member

This player is done. Definitely not paying any more to try to revive it. And the whole reason for trying to fix it was to avoid Oppo. I'm sure they make nice stuff. I had a DVD player years ago from them and the picture was top notch, as was their customer service when I had to send it back to be fixed. But I just can't see myself being satisfied with the sound from an Oppo player. I like a warmer sound.

5. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Oh..........OK.

Maybe a cut price CA 752BD then........before they're all gone. :)

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The replacement laser (from Liberty Electronics on eBay) works perfectly so far.
    I've been able to play SACDs that never played before, even before the factory laser started acting up.
    Needless to say I'm thrilled.
    Total cost under $25USD (was able to have it installed for free by a tech/family member)

Linger63 likes this.
  7. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member Thread Starter

Well I finally got round to cleaning the lense of the Pioneer player and it is playing every type of disc I put in there! Thanks for all the advice now the McIntosh is next.

Doug_B and Linger63 like this.
  8. fortherecord

thats what I did and it worked, thanks,

Doug_B, pdenny and Linger63 like this.
  9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

There's a solder blob on the body of the pickup, on the rear by the cable connection. You have to desolder it otherwise the pickup will not work.

LA2019 likes this.
  10. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Not necessarily! Sony lasers always have a shorting solder blob on them which must be removed to make them operational. If you didn't remove this blob, then your new laser might just fine.

Edit: Now I see that F1 beat me to this comment.

LA2019 likes this.
  11. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I looked for that when I installed it. There was no blob on mine.

12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Then I'm assuming that this was not a Sony replacement laser, because I've never seen a Sony replacement laser without this blob. And I've changed around 50 Sony Lasers.

13. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Correct, it was not made by Sony. It was Chinese-made.

14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Regardless, it should have a solder blob. Instead of just giving up, contact Liberty for a replacement.

15. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Okay, thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it.

But since my rescue attempt on that player, I have upgraded my DAC, and it now sounds so good to me on all resolutions that I no longer have interest in SACD players. I have moved on, and happily so.

16. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I think I am starting to lose interest in SACD as well. I find that to my ears on my equipment that the best mastered CDs give me at least as much enjoyment as any SACDs, of which I own 80. I remember listening to the SACD layer of Analogue Productions Morrison Hotel and it really sounding great. I followed that up with the DCC CD of LA Woman and it sounded even better! I own the Marantz SA8005 which sounds good on both SACD and redbook but I think my next player will be the best CD- only that I can afford. I also don't like the added transport noise which seems to affect a lot of SACD players, even expensive Esoteric units!

fortherecord, IanL and c-eling like this.
  17. fortherecord

I confer, having the best possible DAC seems to be more important than format, a CD can sound at least as good as an SACD or DVD-A.

bruce2 likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That makes sense because of the speed required to read SACD. Very few players aren't what I consider noisy relative to cd players. A DAC could be my answer to this issue as well. I don't have even ten, single layer discs so I don't have a big investment since the redbook layer of my otber discs will work of course.

19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I do not own any single layer SACDs, all of mine are hybrids. The disc spinning transport noise is noticeable to me since I have a small room and listen at low volumes, and it is especially noticeable on very quiet discs such as classical music. The player is silent when playing regular CDs. I have actually considered setting the player up to play the CD layer of all my SACDs for this reason!

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I get it believe me. I took a Rotel cd player back (two of them) because of excessive noise. The store owner said the company told him it was a problem with sourcing a replacement drive and there wasn't one in the pipeline anytime soon so how I ended up with the Sony Universal NS999ES player. I do have an HHB with coax connectivity so I could use it or the Sony with a different DAC. I had considered going to hirez files for the house instead of cds but changed my mind (so far) and will use them for the Pono only. I play mostly vinyl anyway so cds and files are not very importent to my music world unless I'm portable, then I love my Pono player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.